E bikes loads in halfords

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
Hi went to local Halfords to purchase an inner tube ,and there were 14 ebikes on display.
including a Bosch mid drive powered step through Carrera.
Cheapest was a front wheel drive ,rear rack battery Range 20 mile at £450

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Depends on the branch the one at lakeside only has the older models on display no mid drives at all
and Gallows corner Romford has even less
The 4 inner tube for£10 seems a good deal

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I like the look of the Boardman hybrid with the Fazua drive!

Can't justify one as I have a really nice bike with a Woosh hub drive conversion - but I still might arrange for a trial ride : half an hours tootle round Southampton Common would be fun.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
And they will not deliver and build to store anymore for people to decide if they want it. I would have to buy the ebco mid drive, have it delivered to store, store phones me if I want it, they build it, and I think sine they build it, 14day internet rules do not apply.
If I build it then it is not in original condition so again I believe 14 day return rule does not apply.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
And they will not deliver and build to store anymore for people to decide if they want it.
Maybe if you were looking at one of Halfords regular ongoing models - something they could put into shop stock if you didn't like it - like a Carrera, they would?

All Halfords Ebco models were 2018, now end of line in lieu of a total Ebco revamp for 2020, and ridiculously cheap. They seem to have flown out of Halford's warehouse - no time for dithering. The 58cm USR55 Roadster sold out in the first week, the 54cm in the second week, the large frame MH5 MTB third week... I think they've only the medium MTB left. The sweet looking M35 and M45 hub-driven step-through e-bikes are both gone in all sizes now too: The M35 retailed at £1250. Halfords cleared these at £750.

My own Halfords store currently have a 2-week wait for a build. The Manager there says they hadn't the time to speculatively build bikes they know will probably be sold-out before they can even get them delivered, so I had my own Ebco delivered direct to my home. Just handlebars and pedals to fit, and charge the battery - Even both wheels were on, and everything was tight and set-up and adjusted just fine right out of the box.

A few IBS's still have these Ebco models for those who want to poke and prod before buying, but all those that I've seen (on google) are at/near full retail price.
I like the look of the Boardman hybrid with the Fazua drive!
There was a Halfords Boardman week in late October offering a further 10% off on top of the 10% still currently offered. If you've cycling club membership, that's yet another 10% off. The Hybrid with Fazua ended up costing just a shade over £1600 for a £2200 e-bike. I too was sorely tempted, but I'm a tight-wad when it comes to ebikes, and stuck with the Ebco 55 Roadster at £1099. No regrets - at least not yet!

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
I have already had 2xVengeance, both broke couple weeks after purchase, 1x crossfire which started doing the 'turning off for no reason', so I have no faith in Halfords own bikes + I know of two other people who own crossfires who gave the same problem, plus these same people have also had rear spokes break because the spokes are not strong enough for the motor.
I now have an ebike I have heavily modified, but it's motor is now broken, or intermittently broken, so I have ordered another kit from pswpower.com.

I would love to buy the ebco or Lombardo but I am vertically challenged at only 5'6", at least that is what all the women say I am that I try to date :), so I have to have a smaller framed bike.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
The Carrera Crossfuse is very good with the Bosch Activeline Plus motor as previously stated avoid the Carrera Crossfire.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Problem down to spokes breaking is down to badly built wheel (incorrect spoke tensioning) also the 12 & 13g spokes used although thicker do not have the elasticity of 2mm 14g spokes, which most if us use successfully on hub wheel builds with out issues.
When I got my Oxydrive kit a few years ago I had issues with the wheel and spoke breaking etc etc, I then decided to build it in a different rim size with 14g spokes and since then not had any big issues.

Reactions: cyclenut1952