E-Bikes: The phenomenon, The Problem.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I know too many people who have paid more in rent for the last (say) 25 years, than I have in mortgage repayments.
properties tie you down for a very long time though.
Personally, I dislike dealing with tenants rents, maintenance, refurb etc on top of taxes.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
properties tie you down for a very long time though.
Do they? My first purchase had me with a mortgage for 3 years. Two of the three groups I know well as renters, have been in their respective properties for 30+ years. One couple, closer to 50 years. If they moved, they'd be compelled to give up their 3 bed council house for a 1 bed council bungalow. If their pensions could no longer afford the council rent, they'd be the ones with no choice. But they've paid for their current home via rent, at least twice over. What have they to show for it? What legacy do they have for their children?

The third couple, are paying close to £1000 a month to a family friend in rent (so discounted) for a 2½ bed detached home in South Bedfordshire. It's their second rental in 6 years, having had to rely on the private sector for accommodation.

In my view, renting is okay for a couple of years, if there is no other choice. Beyond that, I think money used in renting, is a poor investment. Yes you get a roof over your head, but the rent money is spent, not invested. In a rising market, you don't need much more than two years to start accumulating some equity. After 5 years, likely your mortgage is cheaper than rent for a comparable property. After 10 years there is enough equity and likely savings (from lower overall costs) to allow an upgrade in location or size. This assumes continuous employment of course. It assumes no family breakups. But in these circumstances (hardship), living in private rented accomodation isn't going to be any more accessible either.

Renting is a different prospect in the US and in some European countries, but in the UK, the staggering demand for dwellings doesn't look like it's going to diminish any time soon, and demand = price increases. It's why I have suggested anyone who has managed to get on the housing ladder, should fight tooth and nail to stay on it. Price and interest rate increases, suggest someone getting off the ladder, may never get back on.

• Agree

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Property has always been a good long-term investment. The one thing it gives is something objective for your investment. All other investments except actual bullion are based on promises and trust. If there were a currency collapse, you'd lose everything. I've been investing in property for 23 years. Not only do you get about 5% ROI immediately, but you get around 10% capital growth. I also invest in equities, which have done pretty well in the long-term, but they're much less inflation-proof.

Today won't be a good time to invest in property, but next year might be.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Property has always been a good long-term investment. The one thing it gives is something objective for your investment. All other investments except actual bullion are based on promises and trust. If there were a currency collapse, you'd lose everything. I've been investing in property for 23 years. Not only do you get about 5% ROI immediately, but you get around 10% capital growth. I also invest in equities, which have done pretty well in the long-term, but they're much less inflation-proof.

You have to deduct National insurance and income tax, management cost repairs and insurance etc there is little left if you have to pay the mortgage.

• Agree

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Yeah, not great news for me. I am on the point of buying a tiny ground floor flat, as a bolt hole for my 'smarter' half. There was a queue of buyers, but we had cash so we were moved to the front of the queue.

Possibly, some time in the future it might be a renter, but it wasn't bought for that purpose. It needs work, having been a renter. The money is better tied up in bricks and mortar, rather than stuck in a bank, interest or no interest. Demand is so high in these parts, capital growth will be a better [likely tax free] return. Could be we might offer it to another family member if they were interested.

That said, it would achieve (or has been achieving) £550 a month in the recent past. Not bad for a single level dwelling less than 40ft x 40ft. When modernised with a new kitchen and bathroom, it could make £750. Unless it meets the thermal requirements proposed for 2025, it will likely be sold off then or soon after.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This pesky plaque rolled away under something and I couldn't find it for days. Eventually found and Araldited to the front of my seatpost. The curve was a close fit but not perfect, therefore used sellotape and cardboard to hold it in place to set.

Not as clear as I'd like, but there's no room on my seatpost for anything larger. I'll remove the small blob of Araldite under it, clean a bit. This and one of the usual Bafang ebay stickers stuck to my motor (which I also found while tidying up looking for this plaque. I might add another flat plaque on the motor. Turns out these are exactly the same price from my local trophy plaque shop) may be sufficient to keep me out of jail, and "falling" down flights of stairs in a police station after being beaten with telephone directories (they leave no bruises) etc.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Complete with authentic misspellings, so you know it complies with all relevant standarts [sic]...:D
Authentic Chingrish! You know you're getting the genuine article. Dxylecxyic cops won't notice.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Well I went to my LBS yesterday, who have done many a job on the mechanical side of my 2 bikes.
Whilst waiting to talk to the my preferred man for doing work one of the other workers who I've never seen before told me I was welcome to wait to speak to him but I woul have to leave my bike outside the shop as now any bike with kit fitted was not allowed inside the building and they will no longer work on any ebike not brought from the shop.
I asked the reason why and was told it was because of the spate of fires that have been in the media lately.
Well that's that then, they must be making some bloody good money to turn business away, disappointing for me as it was very convenient having a shop to fix my little problems just up the road.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
10 years ago when i got my bosch bike no one wanted to touch it with a barge poll and said it was a motorbike :rolleyes:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just ordered one , thanks Guerney.
They sent three labels - that one is situated low on my bike's frame (the entire frame is low, that's the highest part), on the side which is uppermost when my bike is leaning on it's kickstand. I may put another on the motor, and the third high up on the back of the seatpost. These labels look laser printed, and as such the text and graphics may rub off - if you look very closely, I appear to have rubbed some of the orange "BAFANG" logo off while applying the label. I doubt this laserprint is oil resistant, so I've just ordered a clear vinyl A4 sheet for £1.52, to cut and stick over these labels. And that's all the labelling and plaqueing I'll be doing! My bike now has 4 types, plus Bafang's "36V 250W" engraving under the motor. The cops are bound to believe one of them. The police would surely be suspicious, if spelling was correct on a Chinese product.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well I went to my LBS yesterday, who have done many a job on the mechanical side of my 2 bikes.
Whilst waiting to talk to the my preferred man for doing work one of the other workers who I've never seen before told me I was welcome to wait to speak to him but I woul have to leave my bike outside the shop as now any bike with kit fitted was not allowed inside the building and they will no longer work on any ebike not brought from the shop.
I asked the reason why and was told it was because of the spate of fires that have been in the media lately.
Well that's that then, they must be making some bloody good money to turn business away, disappointing for me as it was very convenient having a shop to fix my little problems just up the road.
Why not take the battery off when you want something adjusted?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Just go back another time and talk directly to the guy you have dealt with for years, when Mr plonker isn't around.

Things are getting a bit mad. I've recently heard of some insurance policies for work places are no longer covering fires caused by e-bikes and scooters.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Read in the local paper the other day that Police Scotland want to restrict traffic police at night, from 3-7am I think. So the whole of the central belt may have only one traffic cop to cover the whole area! Can't see the police coming out in force for ebike checking ever.