E-co Electric Bike for 249.99

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
wow that's really cheap! Too bad there isn't much room for mod. I could get one just to add a second motor and a bigger battery otherwise

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Bloody hell! I might have been selling one of those in a couple of months, but I wanted a bit more than that. Grrr sports direct.

mjwobble

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
what a deal that's smashing

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Bought one of these, took it out for its first ride today to work (and back again at lunch), first time I've ridden a bike in 5 years or so. Compared to my cheapo old bike which I still have, it weighs about the same, even with battery. No doubt much heavier than any modern bike but not as bad as reviews made it seem, and because most of the weight is lower down, it feels really stable even with the smaller wheels.

Never set a bike up in my life, but first thing I did was throw away the destructions and tackled it by myself. Everything looks good, although the battery tray is at an angle, undid the 3 screws but can't wiggle it in to position (out by 5 - 10 degrees or so). Gears seemed fine, adjusted saddle and handle bars. The rear brake handle moves a bit too much for it to be on 'full power' so I'll have a go at adjusting at the weekened, still stops fine. Comes fully kitted with lights (AAA powered) and plastic mudguards which is nice.

First ride, just around my road to get used to it, and the pull is fantastic, I wasn't expecting anything this good from a £250 (nearer £230 after cashback) ebike. Took me to work easily enough, mostly downhill, with one steep hill at Belper marketplace where I had to use back brake on full and a fair bit of front just to slow, the route on way back I can avoid this for a gentler longer hill.

The ride back it got me up each hill, had to drop to first or 2nd but all I needed was the weight of my legs on the peddles, didn't need to push (although it was slow!), even putting in some effort it was still quite easy - even over took a lycra bloke up a hill (although to be fair he was probably twice my age), gave me a smile.

I found if I keep within the bikes limits, ie under 15mph and assisted) its incredibly easy to ride, took me along the a6 and up through Belper nicely, if I try and push it and peddle at 120hz it becomes hard work and tiring.

Only negatives is the saddle which is quite uncomfy, although a bit better when I adjusted the height a bit, and I managed to brake the bike stand so it won't fold down, hopefully a spanner will sort that out. There's no rattles or squeaks that I would expect on a cheap bike, just a nice hum of the motor and light ticking noise of the chain.
It could benefit from a slightly longer final gear, think its 14t. Is it possible to find a freewheel with a 12 or even 11t size, or just replace a sprocket?

Was considering a sirocco 2 for £600 which I'm sure is a fine bike, but value for money I doubt this can be beaten.
All in all, a cracking bike!

Last edited:
Reactions: mijak
D

Deleted member 4366

It could benefit from a slightly longer final gear, think its 14t. Is it possible to find a freewheel with a 12 or even 11t size, or just replace a sprocket?
You can get them, but they're not easy to find because your gear-set is a free-wheel type and not a free-hub (cassette). You might be able to find a cassette wheel from a Dahon or similar on Ebay if you keep looking.

There's a 13T 6 speed free-wheel here that's a bit better than yours:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunrace-Screw-On-Bike-Mtb-Freewheel-Cog-Sprocket-/121178074082?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item1c36c6abe2

DNP do a seven speed freewheel with 11Ttop gear. They're about £25 from Cyclezee. You could just use 6 of the gears or get a new changer.

Reactions: jaydeeuk1

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
You can get them, but they're not easy to find because your gear-set is a free-wheel type and not a free-hub (cassette). You might be able to find a cassette wheel from a Dahon or similar on Ebay if you keep looking.

There's a 13T 6 speed free-wheel here that's a bit better than yours:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunrace-Screw-On-Bike-Mtb-Freewheel-Cog-Sprocket-/121178074082?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item1c36c6abe2

DNP do a seven speed freewheel with 11Ttop gear. They're about £25 from Cyclezee. You could just use 6 of the gears or get a new changer.
Cheers for that. Could only see a 13t 7 speed in that listed though?

If I fit a 7 speed is it easy enough to adjust the gears and would it affect gear change? Its quite smooth at the moment, which I'd like to keep.

Wonder if its possible to fit some sort of throttle too, will have a look at the controller this weekend.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Good to know you guys can get the advantage of it :D

Hope I could see more ebikes on the street :)

Pat

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
I fitted a DNP 11-32 7 speed freewheel to mine. Bought a 7 speed Nexus twist geat shift (only cost £5).
Speeded me from 12/13 mph to 15/16 mph at max. cadance.
Derailleur easy enough to adjust. Pleny of good utube videos.
However i found the gears especially 11T very rough. The freewheel itself was very roughly made with teeth all shapes and sizes. Mine was bought from China and possibly a friday afternoon one. Perhaps the Cycleeze is better quality.
Last month i bought Shimano 14-32t freewheel 7speed. Much more smoother and quiet. The teeth are much better cut.
Miss that extra speed though.

D

Deleted member 4366

I wonder if there was something wrong with the chain. I've used the 11T DNP on a lot of bikes and not had any problems.

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
I wonder if there was something wrong with the chain. I've used the 11T DNP on a lot of bikes and not had any problems.
I fitted a new chain and it made no difference - same chain on the Shimano, smooth as silk.
I think i was unlucky with the DNP. The teeth were very very crude, some teeth were actually pointed, and varying valleys between them.

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Bought one of these, took it out for its first ride today to work (and back again at lunch), first time I've ridden a bike in 5 years or so. Compared to my cheapo old bike which I still have, it weighs about the same, even with battery. No doubt much heavier than any modern bike but not as bad as reviews made it seem, and because most of the weight is lower down, it feels really stable even with the smaller wheels.

Never set a bike up in my life, but first thing I did was throw away the destructions and tackled it by myself. Everything looks good, although the battery tray is at an angle, undid the 3 screws but can't wiggle it in to position (out by 5 - 10 degrees or so). Gears seemed fine, adjusted saddle and handle bars. The rear brake handle moves a bit too much for it to be on 'full power' so I'll have a go at adjusting at the weekened, still stops fine. Comes fully kitted with lights (AAA powered) and plastic mudguards which is nice.

First ride, just around my road to get used to it, and the pull is fantastic, I wasn't expecting anything this good from a £250 (nearer £230 after cashback) ebike. Took me to work easily enough, mostly downhill, with one steep hill at Belper marketplace where I had to use back brake on full and a fair bit of front just to slow, the route on way back I can avoid this for a gentler longer hill.

Only negatives is the saddle which is quite uncomfy, although a bit better when I adjusted the height a bit, and I managed to brake the bike stand so it won't fold down, hopefully a spanner will sort that out. There's no rattles or squeaks that I would expect on a cheap bike, just a nice hum of the motor and light ticking noise of the chain.

Was considering a sirocco 2 for £600 which I'm sure is a fine bike, but value for money I doubt this can be beaten.
All in all, a cracking bike!
I bought one of those Velo gel saddle covers and it considerably helped the lower department.
One thing i did was change the mudguards to a set of SKS full guards as i found in wet weather it looked like a muddy motorbike had driven over my back. And it kept my feet drier.