E scooter performance info needed urgently please

jkam

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2013
Hi all, Can you help with a little knowledge please? I am intending to collect a Yamaha scooter I bought tomorrow with fully charged new batteries, I want to ride it about 10 miles home but the seller said .....'are you thinking of riding it home i dont think it will make it as they are just for short distance they do about 12mls on a full charge but not in one go as the motor gets hot after 2to 3 mls then you have to give them a rest these do not go like a motor bike' The listing said range 28 miles at 15mph. I have no experience of e bikes/scooters. Surely what he states is wrong and it must be faulty? It's a Yamaha Matis R.
I don't think they wetre marketed in the UK. Seller remorse maybe? I paid £190
Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

It has SLA batteries that are knackered.
Unfortunately you have another problem: Without pedals and a number plate, you're going to get stopped by the police. They're not legal without pedals.

jkam

Mar 10, 2013
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but it was the only place seemingly offering a POST option.

Did you read fully charged new batteries& discount it because you know that minimal mileage & hot motor means I have been misinformed?
Did you assume SLAs for the same reason?
It has pedals....though because of the low seat & my height not very useable.
I asked seller if street legal & he confirmed citing pedals & 15MPH
Weight & Wattage are factors also acceptable.
I have to collect or request a refund TODAY!
Thanks

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Seriously if the seller has told you it needs to rest after 2 to 3 miles cos it gets hot........my advice is......

REQUEST THE REFUND........QUICK !!!!!

and look around again for something much more suitable......plenty help on here to guide you if you want :)

Lynda :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but it was the only place seemingly offering a POST option.

Did you read fully charged new batteries& discount it because you know that minimal mileage & hot motor means I have been misinformed?
Did you assume SLAs for the same reason?
It has pedals....though because of the low seat & my height not very useable.
I asked seller if street legal & he confirmed citing pedals & 15MPH
Weight & Wattage are factors also acceptable.
I have to collect or request a refund TODAY!
Thanks
Sorry, I didn't see pedals in the photos I looked at of Yamaha Metis
I guess this is yours:
Yamaha Electric Bike Scooter | eBay
Assuming 36v 12aH batteries, at 15mph without pedalling, I'd estimate the range as 12 to 15 miles if not too hilly.
The motor shouldn't get hot unless the seller has modified something to try and get more power/speed out of it. The motors can usually give more than twice the standard power without getting bothered. If modified, it would be the controller that gets hot first, unless he's put a bigger one in; however, if it only does 12 to 15mph, it's probably not been modified. I said "knackered batteries" because the seller is saying that it'll only go a few miles at a time. Do the batteries look new?

Some forum members have ridden these scooters without any hassle from the police. IIRC another one got stopped occasionally, but when he explained what it was, they let him on his way, and there was another one threatened with prosecution, so he got rid of it (assuming the story was true). As long as the motor's 200w or below and you can pedal it, it should be legal enough to avoid prosecution.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Before biding on an item, its quite (understatement) to check the feedback on the seller.

If its the item as shown by D8veh above, you will see 3 neutrals that refer to electric bikes that 'he' has previously sold...

Ding Ding Ding Ding... can you hear the bells ringing :p

D

Deleted member 4366

I just read through the seller's feedback on Ebay. He sells a lot of electric bikes/scooters on Ebay, so one would assume that he knows something about them and is a part-time or full-time trader. He should know that clearly something's wrong if it only goes a few miles before over-heating. My current thinking is that he's put maybe new but sub-standard batteries in it, which has cut it's range down to about 7 miles or so, and that's why he doesn't want you to ride it home. There's different quality SLAs. They all look the same, but the cheaper ones are not suitable for electric vehicles. They're for burgular alarms etc, which don't take high current from the battery.

He described it as 25mph at 15mph, so, if it doesn't do that, you can get your money back. He's a trader, so you're fully covered by the Distance Selling Regulations.

A set of decent batteries is £100 to £150 assuming 36v SLA, so if that's all that's wrong with it, it's not a bad price if that's what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

jkam

Mar 10, 2013
HEY! Lot's of helpful responses here now whilst for the sake of expediency & confusion I posted in the tech. section answering.........."

The refund will only be an option if I can definitively state that this is a problem-- not how they should perform. I expected ebikes would perform as advertised but I have no empirical knowledge and will have to tell a seller of many ebikes that he has contradicted himself. Hard to believe he was expecting I would only discover he is a cheat after I later use it. Hence my asking you, the oracle.
Please remove my other posting if it contradicts listing rules. It contains an explanation as to why I think I made an error.
"look for something that is going to work and last " Yep, I did.....a YAMAHA with brand new batteries."

I thought it prudent if not mandatory to not get too detailed regarding other sites and the vendor.
I vetted the seller about the batteries. They are sold as E bike batteries and I will get a receipt. I am aware of deep cycle batteries for Ebikes though I am trusting that the suppliers honoured that. Is there a way of checking?
Alarm bells...feedback. Why neutral rather than neg's. Seems down to disgruntlement rather than outright indignation based on a rpi off.
Plenty of nice positives.
Being suspicious I did ask, (and an answer could be critical) where he is sourcing so many, bikes as I worry in that they may be difficult expensive repairs he moves for a trader. I can't expect him to feel comfortable with questions threatening his earner & the good feedback doesn't support this. He often refers to family ownership too but that could be viewed as comforting association and also worrying disassociation.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Plenty of nice positives.
Yessss.. but quite a lot from low users which can mean the 'friendly' accounts were used to generate feed back.

Ebay is a great place... but must be used with caution.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
If the scooter ad referred to is the one you bought I think you have the right to a refund or register a dispute with E bay if you cannot resolve the matter.

jkam

Mar 10, 2013
If the scooter ad referred to is the one you bought I think you have the right to a refund or register a dispute with E bay if you cannot resolve the matter.
He stipulated Cash on Collection but recognizing buyer vulnerability in this even t I used thr PAY NOW. The Paypal payment was unclaimed with seller blaming me, Paypal & his email Addy. I called Ebay & Paypal a few times and after being satisfied I would have Ebay Buyer Protection if I Paypal 'goods' to another email he proffered, I bought it.
Ebay Feedback...A lot of satisfied Ebike buyers though.
So, it's definitely a battery issue then?
I told him I was only paying if the new batteries he bought off Ebay in Feb. inc. receipt.
I then said I wanted proof as he as also listed other 36v bikes with new batteries but bought only 3!
Very recent positive's for other e mopeds.
Why enter into a transaction with me when it will just backfire????
Could be relying on the fact that returning the item is serious grief and therefore unlikely or he doesn't realize I have Ebay protection.
28MPC is a fantasy then?

Last edited:

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Just don't pay him take the negative feedback if it comes to that, then resolve the problem with E bay/ Pay Pal etc. just keep your money in your pocket, it's to hard to come by.

Problem sounds more like the motor or some mod as mentioned.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

28MPC is fantasy, so he wrongly described the item. Clearly, there's something wrong with the bike. Yamaha make quality products that are fit for purpose, not scooters that over-heat after a few miles. They're not kids toys. They're meant to be proper means of transport.

It's not easy to determine what the situation is with the batteries unless you can check the name and designation on the actual batteries against a receipt he has, and, even then, if he got the same type, they could be the old ones in there, and he put the new ones in another bike.

I still reckon that it has sub-standard batteries in it. After a few miles, the voltage would sag causing the low voltage control (LVC) to cut the power. You leave it for a while and the batteries recover so that you can do a few more miles. Maybe he's an idiot and doesn't realise that, so he thinks that it's over-heating. Who knows?. Maybe he's put in smaller ones than it needs, which cause the same problem.

If it really is over-heating, walk away from it because there's something seriously wrong with it. If it's the batteries, £100 should sort it, so you got a nice scooter for £285.

jkam

Mar 10, 2013
Just don't pay him take the negative feedback if it comes to that, then resolve the problem with E bay/ Pay Pal etc. just keep your money in your pocket, it's to hard to come by.

I wrote ....."after being satisfied I would have Ebay Buyer Protection if I Paypal 'goods' to another email he provided, I bought it."

jkam

Mar 10, 2013
they could be the old ones in there, and he put the new ones in another bike.
I confronted him with that and he didn't cancel so I expected brand new batteries.
I also asked how he could find it viable to pay £80 on batteries and sell at a profit for £185.
No answer.

I still reckon that it has sub-standard batteries in it. After a few miles, the voltage would sag causing the low voltage control (LVC) to cut the power. You leave it for a while and the batteries recover so that you can do a few more miles. Maybe he's an idiot and doesn't realise that, so he thinks that it's over-heating. Who knows?. Maybe he's put in smaller ones than it needs, which cause the same problem. That is the sort of info I need Thanks
Batteries should beDZM-12 Leoch from batterybayuk

If it really is over-heating, walk away from it (NO OTHER OPTION REALLY>>>>>>lol) because there's something seriously wrong with it. If it's the batteries, £100 should sort it, so you got a nice scooter for £285.[/QUOTE]
I prevaricated at £185 but it being a Yammy + new batteries clinched it.
So alter that and I prefer a a bike with gears and usable pedals and better weight power ratio.
Thanks

Last edited:

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
That thing clearly isn't going to give 25 miles range if fitted with 10-12ah batteries.

jkam

Mar 10, 2013
Hi,

Apologies for my absence.

I never expected any more than 15MPC (do we use MPC Miles Per Charge as an accepted abbreviation yes?)

Seller wanted seller's fees deducted from any refund which incidentally he stated would not happen for 1 month as abroad.
Ebay will not disclose if he is a trader & Distant Seller cancellation rights apply.
I opened a dispute & after 8 days I get a refund option.
Otherwise, my only recourse would be a neg.

Thank you all for your valued assistance regarding this.

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Hi,

Apologies for my absence.

I never expected any more than 15MPC (do we use MPC Miles Per Charge as an accepted abbreviation yes?)

Seller wanted seller's fees deducted from any refund which incidentally he stated would not happen for 1 month as abroad.
Ebay will not disclose if he is a trader & Distant Seller cancellation rights apply.
I opened a dispute & after 8 days I get a refund option.
Otherwise, my only recourse would be a neg.

Thank you all for your valued assistance regarding this.
What seller fees ? if he gives you a full refund and then cancels the transaction the only fees he would still be out of pocket for would be his listing fee.

Opening a dispute would appear to be the best option.