EBC mid drive 250W kit - feedback please

ptdg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2016
Hi all, i'm new to the e-bike scene and am considering converting my old but in reasonable nick mtb.
I'm considering a 250 mid drive from electric-bike-conversions. Has anyone had any experience with this unit?
EBC have been very helpful answering my endless questions about their products and respond to emails very quickly.
Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Regards
Paul

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like the same T/S mid drive that BMSB are selling in which case is a bit to new to the market to gauge reliability. BBS01 are tried ,tested and reliable my 18a one pulls close to the max if needed ( watt meter backs that up) and doesn't overheat or cut out.

ptdg

Mar 30, 2016
Thanks Neal, hmm yes the bafang is looking the more sensible option, as you say tried & tested with a lot of feedback on forums

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Bewo available form Pedalease is different though not a game changer, the system like BBS is completely plug and play with a remote controller so easy to replace. Controller looks like it would have to go on the seat post tube due to cabling lengths, there is a post on ES but mainly one sided by a Greek chappie who is praising it left, right and centre.

mike barnard

Mar 7, 2016
selsdon,surrey
The Bewo available form Pedalease is different though not a game changer, the system like BBS is completely plug and play with a remote controller so easy to replace. Controller looks like it would have to go on the seat post tube due to cabling lengths, there is a post on ES but mainly one sided by a Greek chappie who is praising it left, right and centre.

mike barnard

Mar 7, 2016
selsdon,surrey
Hi.
I have a bewo kit fitted to a rock lobster mountain bike and I love it,it's bomb proof and very programable from the head unit,simple to fit and I like the idea of having an external controller

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi.
I have a bewo kit fitted to a rock lobster mountain bike and I love it,it's bomb proof and very programable from the head unit,simple to fit and I like the idea of having an external controller
Which kit rating Mike ? How is the off road climbing ability have you ridden a BBS for comparison ? Having returned my GSM I am giving this kit some serious consideration as UK supplied.

ptdg

Mar 30, 2016
Interesting that you've returned your GSM Neal, I was considering one.
Mike, where did you purchase your bewo kit from?
I've looked at Pedalease but am not too happy dealing with a company with no phone support. That's where establishments like whoosh & EBC score in my book

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Interesting that you've returned your GSM Neal, I was considering one.
The turn of speed form the GSM is very good and when it worked it felt as good as the BBS, the issues I had was two GSM's with int controller both overheated and cut out, not good when you go for a 70 mile ride or are climbing a hill.

mike barnard

Mar 7, 2016
selsdon,surrey
Hi.
I purchased my kit from pedelease, it is a 350 watt kit with a 48 volt bottle battery,I am running it at 16 amp's but the motor has the ability to run up to 20 amp's, this is programmable using the head unit.

mike barnard

Mar 7, 2016
selsdon,surrey
Which kit rating Mike ? How is the off road climbing ability have you ridden a BBS for comparison ? Having returned my GSM I am giving this kit some serious consideration as UK supplied.
It's a 350 watt 48 volt kit running at 16 amp's,I am using a shimano 8 speed hub gear with a 22 tooth sprocket and I find that it climbs off road really well,I have not ridden a BBS kit,but having been a partner in an ebike shop I have ridden a lot of mid drive bikes and find that I like the characteristics of this motor better than a lot of ready to ride mid drive bikes.The reason that I went for the Bewo was,1 there had been a lot of documented evidence of bearing and seal failure on the BBS kits although I believe that this has now been rectified. 2 I like the idea of being able to experiment with alternative controllers 3 I like the way the BEWO clamps onto the frame.