Ebco ebikes.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
The MH-5 MTB is, as Ebco state in their own ebike manual, not a true MTB but a leisure/commuting/touring/light-trail bike:
If a motor is in a mountain bike frame, it better be good for mountain bike riding. If the mountain bike cannot do what it is supposed to do, that's false advertising.
I had the H vengeance, it lasted a month with me commuting but field riding and kerb dropping. Then the motor broke.
This would need to be better, but the reason I am buying from H again, is the 2year warranty.
My current falcon Dutch bike lasted a year before the motor broke, just out of the 1 year warranty, same kinda riding. It's now got a new motor + bits and only thing I have to do to it now is get it shifting all its gears.
My e-life folding lasted couple months same kinda riding, wouldn't power on one morn, ideal world had to collect it, prob the reason they won't ship to NI anymore, too darned expensive to ship, and collect if faulty.
My H crossfire was still going ok same kinda riding except for the powering itself off, so I sent it back for a refund.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Woosh

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
It may be they haven't got around to fixing the site, but in today's market being offline even for a few hours sends out all the wrong signals.
[/QUOTE]
My NatWest online site was down for repairs a couple of weekends ago and this isn’t the first time. Now I’m worried.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If a motor is in a mountain bike frame, it better be good for mountain bike riding.
But it isn't specifically designed as a mountain bike, is it? It's a generic frame dressed up to be whatever you want it to be: 700c wheels and thin tyres and you've got a road bike. Widen the tyres a bit and add mudguards, rack, and lights, you've got a Tourer. 650b wheels, chunky tyres, add some cheap suspension forks and a flash paint-job... lets call that an MTB.
I had the H vengeance, it lasted a month with me commuting but field riding and kerb dropping. Then the motor broke... My current falcon Dutch bike lasted a year before the motor broke... same kinda riding... My e-life folding lasted couple months same kinda riding...
It sounds like you're expecting £2-3000 performance from sub-£1000 ebikes. If that's the kind of riding you do, I wouldn't touch this... or any so-called £1000 EMTB. IMHO I doubt this motor is built for that kind of constant hard use, and I'd say the shocks aren't either. The Ebco MH-7 or MH-9 EMTBs with the Bosch CX motor and semi-decent forks are far more robust, but for that money I'd be looking elsewhere. Personally, I'd buy a really good second-hand MTB and put a BBSHD on it - that should take all the punishment you could throw at it.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
RichB on page 1 was not wrong.
" harsh cut off over 15.5mph making it almost impossible to pedal above that speed "
I just noticed this, on my first commute this morning, it is very annoying.
The motor does make it virtually impossible to pedal above this speed, and so when the battery dies, this thing really does become a push bike cos the only way to get it home will be to push it.
So what is the need for 9 gears, when I cannot use any past 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichB

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
RichB on page 1 was not wrong.
" harsh cut off over 15.5mph making it almost impossible to pedal above that speed "
I just noticed this, on my first commute this morning, it is very annoying.
The motor does make it virtually impossible to pedal above this speed, and so when the battery dies, this thing really does become a push bike cos the only way to get it home will be to push it.
I'm sorry to hear that my experience wasnt a 'one of'. You can adjust the trim, but I found that it didnt make much difference. But I agree you wouldnt want to get stuck anywhere with a flat battery, it was a real deal breaker for me.
Especially with the odd battery meter I never felt confident in the remaining battery, its the first Ebike I had range anxiety with! How did you find the battery life?

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Dunno yet m8, only got it yesterday.
How can H sell a bicycle that ceases to be a bicycle on the flat over 15mph?

Last edited:
Reactions: RichB

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There may be a problem with your bike.
Lift the motor wheel up and spin it forward.
It should freewheel like the other wheel.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
No motor wheel, is Mid drive.
But no worries now anyway, Brand new bike, back to Halfords, refund given.
This is reason I wary buying on internet, well, this and only 1 year warranty on internet bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am glad it's sorted.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
No motor wheel, is Mid drive.
But no worries now anyway, Brand new bike, back to Halfords, refund given.
This is reason I wary buying on internet, well, this and only 1 year warranty on internet bikes.
Probably saved yourself a load of grief.
What are you going to go for now?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would suggest the woosh Camino

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
I would suggest the woosh Camino
Lol, I bet you would :)
Seriously, dunno what warranty is on the woosh bikes and if they ship to NI.
I am only 5'6, so dunno if Camino would suit, otherwise looks a nice bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audio2

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk