Ebco m45 help please

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Okay, so apart from ebike-centre in Chichester who have the TranzX diagnostics mentioned in Post 51 above, we have 2 other ebike shops that have replied first thing this morning to an email I sent last night. A "Shout Out" goes to:

eBike Sussex
Richard, RCC Southern Ltd, eBike Sussex
38-42 Kingston Broadway, Shoreham By Sea, West Sussex, BN43 6TE
Tel 01273 596368 - www.eBikeSussex.com
Replies:
Yes we do have that diagnostics equipment although it is only for ebikes sold by us or those in for a service if purchased elsewhere

AND

elctrc
Graham Rowe, Director, elctrc
+44 (0)1273-625060, info@elctrc.co.uk ,www.elctrc.co.uk
16 Waterfront, Palm Drive, Brighton Marina Village, Brighton BN2 5WA
+44 (0)1273-625060 - info@elctrc.co.uk - www.elctrc.co.uk
Replies:
Thanks for your email. We do have the TransX software and diagnostics.
Is this a Bike that you bought from us? I ask because currently, our workshop is in such demand, that we're only able to accept Bookings from our Customers.

Aren't our local ebike shops brilliant? A response in an hour of opening from both! So that's two that can help, and one that has the diagnostics but can't due to how busy they are.

So TranzX aren't as obscure has some would like to believe. That's a hit rate of 3 out of 3 dealers local to the OP who do have TranzX diagnostic systems, and all under 30 miles from the OP too.

So there's two viable options for the OP - ebike-centre in Chichester (post 51) and ebike Sussex in Shoreham. I think that's brilliant! And the whole exercise of trying to find these 3 TranzX shops took just 50 minutes scouring the net last night (in an area I don't even know).

Reactions: Kneebiker

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
We're on a roll here: In post 30, I gave a link to an article in Cycling Industry News that said: "Over the last six months the EBC has trained over 200 individuals from IBDs, Halfords, Cycle Republic and staff from all 66 Evans stores".

So I just called the OP's local Evans store out of curiosity:

Evans Cycles Brighton EV
Evans Cycles, 4 Air Street, Brighton, BN1 3FB
Telephone: 03439092070

They went to check. YES they say, they've just checked and confirmed they too have the TranzX diagnostic software on their system; they guy that is trained to use it will be in on Sunday.

A veritable plethora of local dealers equipped with TranzX diagnostic systems! Result!

Reactions: Kneebiker

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hopefully, OP will keep us informed about:
  • How easy it is to get his bike booked in
  • How much they charge to do the check
  • What the diagnosis is
  • How much it cost to fix
  • How long it took to fix.
This will help everyone understand how well this system works.

I hope it all works out well, but I've got a feeling that the story has got more to give yet.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The crux is most staff aren't trained or have the basic knowledge to repair ebikes, hence the diagnostic plug in to a pc which tells them the fault/issue. Unlike a car a bike is pretty much very basic mechanically and electrically, barring maybe hub gears.

That is one reason why forums like this exist the generic China type systems are easier to repair and fault find at home or even online, as we often do. Being generic though means most controllers used are oem only and impossible to source, fortunately unlike closed systems cheaper and obtainable solutions are available to get the bikes working again.

Kneebiker

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2021
Much aol
Post 51 - ebike centre in Chichester, 28 miles from you, TranzX accredited. It took me 50 minutes to find. I may have one in Brighton too, if they come back to me today.
Oohh, I didn't find a brighton one. I have left a couple of voicemail and an email for the Chichester lot already but no response just yet

Kneebiker

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2021
  • What the diagnosis is

I hope it all works out well, but I've got a feeling that the story has got more to give yet.
I will let you know but if I get to the point of driving to Chichester to a dealer I will hand back to my friend to take forward. He doesn't need me at that stage. However I'll keep you posted whatever as it's only fair after all the input you have given

D

Deleted member 33385

@Kneebiker - I look forward to developments!

The issue I have with modular systems such as PCs, modern cars and now some ebikes, is all the e-waste! In a modular, easy to "Repair" system like a PC for instance - when a component on your discrete graphics card stops working, such as a bad capacitor, or if the GPU catches a case of electron-drift because it has overheated... we throw away the whole card because it would be more costly to get repaired (or impossible), than buying a brand new and better graphics card. It's similar with modern cars - with many new models, entire chunks of the car which report themselves as faulty due to the failure of one component of that chunk (headlight, dashboard etc) get ditched, whereas in the old days, that one small component would be replaced in isolation. I'd hate to see the same happen to ebikes. Of course it's cheaper and easier to train someone to diagnose for faults using a software package, cheaper to train them to extract an entire part of a modular ebike system and replace that whole module, than it is to employ and train someone to a much higher standard. But whole modules with intellectual property attached usually cost more than individual components of those chunks, more costly in many ways.

• What the diagnosis is

In addition to your list vfr, I'd like to see a like for like comparison with a non TransvestiteXXX CANyou-find-me-a-bus-timetable system repair, I mean TranzX CANbus (blame autocorrect, and for goodness sakes don't Google it)

Last edited:

Kneebiker

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2021
Actually I found another under H1 also. I'm going to attempt to resolder them but it's very tight and tricksy to get at one of them. It has snapped nearer the motor coil that the pcb.

Still kids about to descend after school so this will have to wait till a calm point in the day when I can take some deep breathes, get the coffee out of my system and maybe even a glass of vino. Then solder

On the basis that if it goes to a dealer they'll just say replace the motor anyway. May as well try first

D

Deleted member 33385

Last edited:

Kneebiker

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2021
I'd do decent enough job to see if it clears the error - maybe extend that tricky one broken nearer the motor coil with a cable connector temporarily, then solder/repair a more robust solution later, if it works (check continuity etc before switching it on):

Thats a good call, maybe I can jerry rig something just to make the connections before putting in time to do a really good job

I did worry that I might possible have caused the breakage when I open the motor but I plugged it back into the bike.... Same error so I'm hopeful it wasn't me

D

Deleted member 33385

Thats a good call, maybe I can jerry rig something just to make the connections before putting in time to do a really good job

I did worry that I might possible have caused the breakage when I open the motor but I plugged it back into the bike.... Same error so I'm hopeful it wasn't me

There's a "H" in the error code and two "H" terminals are damaged, would it be too much of a coincidence? On the other hand, your error code "0hot" could mean overheating, as speculated by cyclebuddy... if you can clear the error by fixing the wires, we'll never know, which is fine if your bike works.

Last edited:

Kneebiker

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2021
I owe everyone a long overdue answer and end result. Spoiler - it's isn't a happy ending

I overestimated my soldering skills and completely screwed the pooch. I managed to melt the tiny resistor wires totally from the motor to the pcb.

It did change the error code but that's it.

Owner gave up at this point and sold it on for peanuts as they really needed a new ebike. Also not exactly paupers

So total fail on my behalf but if the new owner can get a new transx motor then job a goddun. Probably

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
What a tragic waste.

One of the TranzX dealers I contacted back then - and practically within spitting distance of where you live - wasn't prepared to look at your bike. He was fed up with "cheapskates buying off the internet to save a couple of bob", then loading their problems onto him when problems arose.

He had the Logix diagnostic software and knew this system/motor well. He proffered the following advice:

The TranzX Logic diagnostic software isn't fool-proof - it doesn't always pick up all issues (but Bosch's system doesn't either). But the TranzX system can be manually diagnosed...

95% of the time with this TranzX hub system:
The cadence sensor is first culprit - cleaning may resolve.
The F15 motor is the second. If you replace the motor, replace the sensor too, because it will fail.

About £200 would've fixed it.

The main issue he was having was sourcing the F15 motors - Brexit/Covid meant July.

It wasn't worth sharing this at the time, because there were several TranzX dealers not too far from you who would've likely told you the same and fixed it. I'm adding it here in case someone else wants to know.

Maylis

Just Joined
Feb 23, 2022
I would like help please .
my wifes M45 has a fault .
the power starts up immediately the battery is loaded even without the switch being turned on .
the initial readout comes up as 1 O 5 4 7 , all separately
the readout then does the little dance and registers level 3 Which then cannot be changed .
Did you solve the problem on your bike and if so who with ?