EBCO ucr30 charging issues

sideways

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 27, 2010
Hi, I'm not a regular contributor on here but been here a while and have been an electric bike user for many years.
Some time ago I bought an EBCO ucr 30 secondhand but nearly new. Great bike although my use is occasional. All was good until I had a robbery from my shed. All my power tools etc were taken and yes, the charger went as well. The bike wasn't there fortunately. It wouldn't have been covered by the insurance even though the rest of the stuff was. Worse than that I hadn't realised the charger had gone.
Anyway I used the bike and ran the battery down. I was caught out and probably ran it down too much as the bike was cutting out on a return journey home. That was some time ago, we've had other problems and I'm only just trying to sort it.
A new charger is £100 it seems. My worry is that the battery is no good as well and I'm worried that the total cost to sort this issue will be too much for me.
My research shows its a rebadged TRANZX bike from Germany. So I bought a charger off eBay from a German supplier for a TRANZX 36v bike with 5 pin charger.

Meanwhile I checked voltages across pins on the battery and find that between pins number 1 and 5, I had 21v.
Between others about 2v
The 5 pin charger that came only had wires to pins 1 and 3 and output 42v.
I changed it to put the power out on pins 1 and 5 and the battery started to charge. It went to 26v and then the green light came on saying its charged.

Is the battery ruined? Why is there 2v showing over the other battery pins which are not connected to the charger? Is it likely the charger (specific for the bike) isn't correct? Help!

Reactions: shav