Ebike <2500 EUR for commuting + weekend fun in a hilly area (Dublin)

eirish

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2021
Hi everyone!
I guess the title says it all.
I want to finally treat myself with a nice ebike, that will not cost a fortune.

I am from Dublin.

What I'd love to see:
1) mid-drive (if you think rear hub would also fit my scenarios - I'd love to hear your opinion)
2) at least hardtail (I understand that I might have no use for suspention for my scenrios, but I am too used to it and just cant live without at least front susp)
3) going to use it for commuting (~7km uphill, not too steep but still got fed up with it) + going for some easy trails on weekends.
4) torque sensor would also be a plus

I understand that Giant talon e-bike or any cube alternative for the same price should fit me well, but would definitely be happy to find something more affordable as they are both on the high end of my abiities.

I am 176cm tall btw.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Look at https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gran-camino £1400 with the bigger battery.

Not mid-drive. That is probably more appropriate for commuting anyway, less worry about the drivetrain; mid drive helps mainly for very steep areas and some more serious mountain biking.

Not sure about the sensor.

p.s. For that price, add a Suntour NCX seatpost (if it isn't going to make the saddle too high).

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Hi. Since Brexit, unfortunately, Irish people buying from the UK has extra taxes and complications. Anyhow, one possible recommendation from Halfords 'Black Friday' sale (Liffey Valley or elsewhere) is below.

or for larger size frame choice, bigger battery but fit your own mudguards below.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Two parameters to take care with:

Don't get too small a battery, or you will quickly find you need either a second one or a bigger one. 400Wh minimum, will just about guarantee 40 mile range in eco setting.

Forks: resign yourself to replacing the forks with something better, even if secondhand. This is a component frequently compromised to save money. If the rest of the bike is good enough, factor in a good s/h fork and you should be way ahead on price of a bike that already has a good fork!

eirish

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2021
Decided to order Radon Solution CX 8.0

Looks like a nice trekking bike with enough power/ tyres/ battery for both commuting (like 80% of time) and some light trail fun on weekends. All for 2100 EUR.

Was thinking of performance 8.0
The difference was slower engine (performance vs CX), fatter tyres (classic mtb vs trekking) and lack of accessories (just nothing vs full pack). It was 200 EUR cheaper, but tried to get all the stuff for it and got around 100 EUR pack + some headache with installing properly.
So solution was just 100 EUR extra for motor and no headache.

What do you think of such a solution?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Decided to order Radon Solution CX 8.0

Looks like a nice trekking bike with enough power/ tyres/ battery for both commuting (like 80% of time) and some light trail fun on weekends. All for 2100 EUR.

Was thinking of performance 8.0
The difference was slower engine (performance vs CX), fatter tyres (classic mtb vs trekking) and lack of accessories (just nothing vs full pack). It was 200 EUR cheaper, but tried to get all the stuff for it and got around 100 EUR pack + some headache with installing properly.
So solution was just 100 EUR extra for motor and no headache.

Those two models highlight the dilemma of choosing! Top of the range 85Nm motor good enough for a mountain bike paired with a fork only suited to tarmac versus a step down in motor spec but an air sprung fork with more travel...

I'd find the higher spec motor hard to resist, but I have a virtually identical Suntour fork on my leased bike which I would chuck in the bin if it was my own! Not just a terrible harsh ride quality, but poor quality chrome on the stanchions, aready rust spotted after 5 months.

Change the fork and you'll have a cracking bike I think!

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

eirish

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2021
Oh, didn't notice the difference in travel.
Just saw that they are both air so should be close to each other in terms of comfort.
Atm I have a cheap mtb with entry level coil fork and it is still quite enough for my usage.
Not sure if extra 40mm travel could make a difference

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Easier/cheaper to change a fork than the motor setup - and I didn't notice it was air - Suntour do coil and air versions it seems. My coil version is the standout compromise on an otherwise very acceptable machine.

Overall though I'm impressed to see the top end Bosch in that price range. Good luck with your choice!

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Those are good prices for the bikes! I've hired some Radon bikes when I've gone on holidays in Europe and the hire company was singing their praises.

what I don't understand though is that of the two choices you posted, I can see why Radon has those two models - one is effectively a MTB hardtail, the other one is a trekking commuter style with the rack, mudguards etc.
However the motors are the wrong way around!!
The MTB one is the one that should have the CX motor, the trekking one with the normal performance line.
Bizarre.

Unless these two were just two out of a whole range of bikes and there were other combinations available ??

eirish

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2021
There are lots of combinations, you may check out the link I posted earlier as that shop is their official seller.
There are several versions of mtb with CX motor, one is 6.0 for 1900, but other components are much worse (altus/tourney instead of deore for example). There is one for the same price as Solution, but the difference is:
* worse breaks (mt200 vs mt400)
* worse grips/saddle
* better fork (same rockshox)
* SRAM NX vs Deore (and people like deore more than NX)
* no accessories (that would add 100 extra the price and a headache of installing)
* mtb tyres (obviously)
* worse display (purion vs Intuvio)
* classic but good seatpost (vs suspension Radon seatpost on solution. Even though it is their own rather than some well-known brand it sounds better to have sus rather than classic)
So that sounded like not very good deal to lose so much just for better fork and mtb tyres (taking into consideration that both can be replaced easily compared to the other parts).

P. S. There are lots of better combinations, but they are out of my league atm)

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Radon Solution CX 8.0
I also reckon you'd be fine on that and probably wont need anything longer travel wise on the fork, its not about high speed descents over rocks and roots for you but more a longer range commuter type set up.
OK, the wheels arent so good and as long as the fork is air and not coil(the coil weighs a hefty 6lbs) but overall its a sound set up.
Brakes are standard and even on my bike which cost £5k, the supplied brakes are only Deore 520. So overall it looks pretty good for the money, and you get the Bosch motor which is probably the current industry leader which is top spec motor and battery specification. Bosch are also very good on servicing and replacing problems than some we could mention.