Ebike 250w questions

Johnny Lee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 11, 2020
Hi,

I have been riding a 250w ebike, Uni Moke(urban drivestyle). I just wonder whether having a throttle on a 250w ebike is really not recommended. According to what the company says on the website, it can make the battery life shorter. Has anyone used a throttle on a 250w ebike?

Secondly I was going to upgrade my bike by reprogramming the controller(Bafang but I don’t know which model it is). But it turns out it is a bit complicated to me. Is there any place, such as ebike shops, where I can get some help around North West London?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All a throttle does is draw max current from the controller, it will certainty drain the battery quicker but no more then riding in max assist with current control or any speed control controllers.
Generic controllers barring the BBS ones aren't usually re programmable without software.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You only get max cuurent at low speed. If you're heavy and don't pedal, the motor and battery would get a hard time. There is absolutely no problem to use a throttle to control the speed when pedalling or without pedalling as long as you don't do it all the time.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Has anyone used a throttle on a 250w ebike?
I've two 250w ebikes with throttles on them. Me and the wife use them all the while, for distances of no more than 12 miles leisure riding. They're great for folks that have problems pedalling, for whatever reason, and they're handy for hill starts to help you get going. Here's a video. :)

Johnny Lee

Nov 11, 2020
I've two 250w ebikes with throttles on them. Me and the wife use them all the while, for distances of no more than 12 miles leisure riding. They're great for folks that have problems pedalling, for whatever reason, and they're handy for hill starts to help you get going. Here's a video. :)

Thank you for sharing your experience. That’s exactly what I want a throttle for TBH. I am not gonna use it all the time. I like pedaling. I just want a little bit of help to pedal on hills. I can consider getting one now :)

Best,

Johnny Lee

Nov 11, 2020
You only get max cuurent at low speed. If you're heavy and don't pedal, the motor and battery would get a hard time. There is absolutely no problem to use a throttle to control the speed when pedalling or without pedalling as long as you don't do it all the time.
Thanks for your answer. Thought using a throttle could even cause the battery to be ruined. I am not going to use it all the time. I do like pedaling. But sometimes when I ride a bike on hills, I want a bit of help. :)

Best,

• Informative

Johnny Lee

Nov 11, 2020
All a throttle does is draw max current from the controller, it will certainty drain the battery quicker but no more then riding in max assist with current control or any speed control controllers.
Generic controllers barring the BBS ones aren't usually re programmable without software.
If I don’t overuse a throttle, would it be alright for the battery life? (I do like pedaling. I just want a bit of help by using a throttle.) What do you say?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
If I don’t overuse a throttle, would it be alright for the battery life? (I do like pedaling. I just want a bit of help by using a throttle.) What do you say?
What Nealh said ..

Reactions: Johnny Lee

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you like to use throttle then weigh up the distance you ride, as long as you return home with battery power it matters not. Use throttle like max PAS assist, wisely.

Last edited:

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi,

I have been riding a 250w ebike, Uni Moke(urban drivestyle). I just wonder whether having a throttle on a 250w ebike is really not recommended. According to what the company says on the website, it can make the battery life shorter. Has anyone used a throttle on a 250w ebike?

Secondly I was going to upgrade my bike by reprogramming the controller(Bafang but I don’t know which model it is). But it turns out it is a bit complicated to me. Is there any place, such as ebike shops, where I can get some help around North West London?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
My bike has 200w motor and throttle is very nippy. It does shorten battery but then just get a bigger battery with more ah. It's perfect for taking off at traffic lights and when needing a rest. I highly recommend one.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Thanks for your answer. Thought using a throttle could even cause the battery to be ruined. I am not going to use it all the time. I do like pedaling. But sometimes when I ride a bike on hills, I want a bit of help. :)

Best,
If you get a cadence sensing motor you get assist if you rotate the pedals without effort. For help on hills just up the assist level to full assist. I have a Bbs01b 250w kit with throttle, my choice was to set it at 9 levels, could have been 3 or 5, don't get more power just more steps.
I mostly use the throttle to start, only occasionally to "take it easy".

Johnny Lee

Nov 11, 2020
My bike has 200w motor and throttle is very nippy. It does shorten battery but then just get a bigger battery with more ah. It's perfect for taking off at traffic lights and when needing a rest. I highly recommend one.
I am glad you would recommend it! I have made up my mind. Thanks bro

Best,