EBike carrier options

Skyb87

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2019
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread. I am looking to take my two ebikes away and need to transport them in/on my car. I have looked at rear bike racks, but these have a weight limit, which I suspect my two heavy bikes would exceed. Roof bars are a no go - too heavy to lift. Tow bar is a good option, but very expensive to fit and then get a bike tow bar bike fitting. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I wouldn't recommend anything other than a towball carrier. If you're going to do a lot of biking, pay the money and enjoy the convenience. I always look for minimum cost solutions, but this is one instance where I think it's worth paying to get a decent solution.

Reactions: MikeS

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I would agree. I used to have a small 4x4 and used a carrier that fitted onto spare wheel. It was scary to see the bikes (minus batteries) bouncing around, so I used to put a strap up to the roof rails to take some of the strain. A right pita. I've now bought a Vivaro van - that's solved it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I would agree. I used to have a small 4x4 and used a carrier that fitted onto spare wheel. It was scary to see the bikes (minus batteries) bouncing around, so I used to put a strap up to the roof rails to take some of the strain. A right pita. I've now bought a Vivaro van - that's solved it.
I bought a Peugeot Partner van. Two bikes fit inside nicely. You could probably get three in if you use a rack. It's fantastic. 55 mpg over 1200 miles so far. It's so much easier to get in and out of too.

Last edited: