ebike copies

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
OK, I know this is slightly off topic, but just to be clear (and pedantic) - I wasn't trying to make a comparison of high performance cars on high performance tyres. The tyre test was performed by people that perform these tests day in day out, they attempted a motorway simulation whereby they got up to 70mph on a controlled 1mm depth of water then applied the brakes as in an emergency braking situation (foot full down on the brakes, clutch in) leaving the car (I think it was a Ford Focus or similar) and abs to do the work. It would be interesting to see a full set of test results at different speeds and in different driving conditions, I suspect the results would largely be similar - budget tyres will not perform as well as branded.

To me this is a real world test and was repeatable, this type of braking situation could mean the difference between life and death, the budget tyres did not perform as well as the branded product. With tyres being a safety feature of vehicles, I know where my money will be going.

My point which is on topic is that this could be applied as a general rule for unbranded copies for all sorts of products, but as I stated in my OP the Chinese appear to have upped their game over the years to make higher quality copies.
nothing else to say but i totally agree

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Surely I also feel sorry for the GT. My point was that in the past the copy was something out any value. Those who made a copy of GT made that frame technologically not worse than the GT itself and I agree that its a theft of IP. In that case its a direct copying of their brand, graphics, fonts, logo style with zero extra added value.
At last we agree!

All the best

David:)

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Strix, an Isle of Man company who develop and manufacture thermostats for kettles etc., have just successfully sued two Chinese companies in a Chinese court for infringing their patents. The court awarded them a total of US$1.4 million in damages and ordered the Chinese companies to cease production. It seems that there is a means of defending your designs, even in China. (Google Strix if you want the full story).

Last edited: