EBike for tall man with arthritic hip

Vans

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 21, 2021
Is this frame any help? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2030657141.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.9.3d496c5bIR3KJn
You could buy a motor kit from Mr Woosh. It gives the measurements down the page. Might need a long seat post. I have bought from them - they are trustworthy.
thanks, interesting idea. I had thought about using a conversion kit on one of my bikes, but the top tubes are too high. This frame would be a a good option and I guess I can just swap most of the kit from an old bike to this frame? I don’t really understand the reason for the “box” at the bottom of the frame. Is it for a crank drive motor, I wonder?

Vans

Mar 21, 2021
Is this frame any help? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2030657141.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.9.3d496c5bIR3KJn
You could buy a motor kit from Mr Woosh. It gives the measurements down the page. Might need a long seat post. I have bought from them - they are trustworthy.
Sorry if this comes a a duplicate, but my last reply didn’t seem to post.

Thanks for the link. I had thought about converting one of my old bikes but the top tubes are all to high. But the frame in the link would work. They also make a slightly bigger one. I guess I could transfer most of the bits from an old bike? would want to buy disk brakes and a from fork.

D

Deleted member 33385

Thanks for the link. I had thought about converting one of my old bikes but the top tubes are all to high. But the frame in the link would work. They also make a slightly bigger one. I guess I could transfer most of the bits from an old bike? would want to buy disk brakes and a from fork.

The estimated delivery for that frame is the 23rd of August. If you wanted: The fastest way to get a step through frame is to buy a secondhand bike/frame on Gumtree or ebay, if you can't find a UK shop with a new bike/frame in stock. Then move your (better) parts over. It's a good idea to show the denizens of pedelecs.co.uk what you are interested in buying - I'm sure someone will know what sort of conversion kit you need for whatever bike/frame you select. I went with a mid-drive, but hub drives are also supposed to be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: budsy
D

Deleted member 33385

D

Deleted member 33385

I've just remembered that my Dahon Helios P8 is an aluminium framed step-through:

There is usually a handful on Gumtree and ebay:

It's only got 8 gears but that's all I need for my local hills. My 42T chainwheel limits it to about comfortable 20mph (or frantic 24mph), after the Bafang BBS01b PAS gets it to 15mph. I will be switching back to a 52T, when my legs get a bit stronger. I'm really pleased with the conversion. Perhaps a new/secondhand lightweight low step-through folder is also an option?

...and here is a photo of my bike, which I'm sure everyone on here is sick to death of seeing:

The seatpost is tall, for tall riders. The bar is 19 inches from the ground. Specs are on the link above.

If you get stuck - fold and stuff it in a taxi/bus/train/tram etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

...or you could electrify a secondhand Brompton - they're a low step over. Woosh has got a smashing little Brompton with a frog battery that I'm envious of. It even works with Bosch power tool batteries. But I don't know how long it takes, for frog batteries to croak...

Last edited:

Vans

Mar 21, 2021
Because everyone has been so helpful I thought I should let you know the result. I had a lot of difficulty finding a bike that was available, in my size and a step through. I finally found a Cube bike that fitted all the parameters and it is now on order.

I might also use the frame suggestion to make a none electric bike using parts from one of my old bikes

Thanks for all the help

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Because everyone has been so helpful I thought I should let you know the result. I had a lot of difficulty finding a bike that was available, in my size and a step through. I finally found a Cube bike that fitted all the parameters and it is now on order.

I might also use the frame suggestion to make a none electric bike using parts from one of my old bikes

Thanks for all the help

Report back on how you get on with your new ebike! Movement is good for arthritic joints, and your ebike will help facilitate that. That frame Chainring suggested:

...looks very good indeed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

I d not fancy buying from anyone with a dodgy name like Woosh or Wisper :D

You could buy a good non-electric bike (or use your Raleigh) and have Brighton eBikes convert it for you? I don't know how good they are:

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
You could buy a good non-electric bike (or use your Raleigh) and have Brighton eBikes convert it for you? I don't know how good they are:

Hi Pentium - Bit expensive i reckon , plus im in North of England ..id prefer a new bike as bike i have is heavy framed with the frame made from "Cromarty " " its a Raleigh freedom 600 " with the 7 speed gearing in back hub wheel of the bike which i do prefer but from £1000.00 No way id pay that as id rather buy a new Ebike instead .. and today they are getting bit better with them builds as i type and so biding my time ...But hey thanks for post is appreciated and more knowledge for also others if they want to go down this route .. If buying another non e bike id have went 2nd hand route as so many people now selling their non ebikes as i guess either just lost the fad for a bike as not fit enough or just looking to get moneys towards an elec bike ? .. or maybe just gave cycling a go and decided it isnt for them as not fit enough this when its an uphill struggle and certain age groups it can become tough as u have to keep at it then it becomes manageable . Pentium ive not been on bike since last summer of 2020 ..be like starting again and i dont want to go through with the puffing up them brays again and see some lycra toff cycling past with a snigger towards me ..No its my turn to snigger in time at them as i ZOOM past them with my e bike up a hill and say to myself towards them > Just take some of that back
:D :D

Last edited:

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Pentium - What you reckon ..only one thing name on frame Cortina is a womans bike ..but hey what u know ill even grow a pony tail to match :) but again looks a sensible bike ..but maybe a can tell the seller to paint over name cortina to a name which suits memore so what u reckon ? Ps Im serious about this ..

This bike looks a good step through with beltdrive etc ..

D

Deleted member 33385

Pentium - What you reckon ..only one thing name on frame Cortina is a womans bike ..but hey what u know ill even grow a pony tail to match :) but again looks a sensible bike ..but maybe a can tell the seller to paint over name cortina to a name which suits memore so what u reckon ? Ps Im serious about this ..

I'm not really the guy to ask Budsy, as I'm pretty new to ebikes myself (I'm mostly a computer guy). The best experts, who are regularly on here are vfr400 and nealh - they'd be able to tell you if whatever bike you're interested in, is any good from a variety of perspectives including repairability. If you ask me about ponytails though... I haven't been to a barber's for over a year, and it won't be long before I look like Steven Seagal:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

What do you reckon to this?

A member called "Walker" says he's waiting for his to be delivered in about 2 weeks, says he ordered from here:

... keep an eye on that thread? I almost bought a Fiido, I still might. There's also some sort of Fiido Facebook group.

Last edited:

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
I'm not really the guy to ask Budsy, as I'm pretty new to ebikes myself (I'm mostly a computer guy). The best experts, who are regularly on here are vfr400 and nealh - they'd be able to tell you if whatever bike you're interested in, is any good from a variety of perspectives including repairability. If you ask me about ponytails though... I haven't been to a barber's for over a year, and it won't be long before I look like Steven Seagal:

Ye know them guys know their stuff ebikes ..

As for pony tails i aint been to a barber since 4th November last yr 2020 ..

Anyhow i can wait until the crowds subside :)

As for Steven Seagull well was well known for his action movies

he is good, but im more of a Sly Stallone fan ..

D

Deleted member 33385

Ye know them guys know their stuff ebikes ..

As for pony tails i aint been to a barber since 4th November last yr 2020 ..

Anyhow i can wait until the crowds subside :)

As for Steven Seagull well was well known for his action movies

he is good, but im more of a Sly Stallone fan ..

You should get an ebike like Judge Dredd - this one needs pedals, and isn't 250W:

• :D
Reactions: budsy

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
You should get an ebike like Judge Dredd - this one needs pedals, and isn't 250W:

I liked this when first seen on tv reminds me of erm > Not me :D

Keep watching and feel the jitters inside .. this Skye in Scotland and done with a non e bike .. Your turn next Pentium :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

I liked this when first seen on tv reminds me of erm > Not me :D

Keep watching and feel the jitters inside .. this Skye in Scotland and done with a non e bike .. Your turn next Pentium :D

That looks dangerous! The only dangerous thing I do, is dodge drivers in cars, who can't see me despite my being clad head to toe (including helmet) in dayglow reflective hi-viz, with my headlight on... I even keep it on during the day, and I'm still freaking invisible. I think that the member Soundwave might be more of a rock hopper.

Last edited: