Ebike insurance advice

Vivm17

Just Joined
Jun 12, 2019
Hello, I'm Viv and my partner and I are looking to buy ebikes! Very excited! And looking forward to reading the forum too. We're having a few challenges with insurance though.. firstly we live in a ground floor apartment and can only secure the bikes to our property (gold locks) externally. Insurers don't like that. And secondly.. we're planning a 4 mth tour in Spain, in our caravan. Insurers don't like us securing our bikes to the caravan A frame/4 mths abroad but what choice do we have? ebike manufacturers promote their leisure bikes to exactly this kind of use.. leusure! We're struggling to get appropriate insurance. Can anybody help please? Thanks for sharing your experience here.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It may just be worth taking the risk. Insurers always charge highly for anything a little bit different. If they reckon there is a 10% chance of a theft in a year they will charge probably a 20% annual premium; and if they can't quantify the risk they will always make a high estimate of the risk.

Also, you have probably already thought, don't buy the most expensive bikes; just good quality but maybe slightly more basic ones from the likes of Woosh.

Do make sure you have third party insurance, though. CTC (whoops, sorry Cycling UK) membership will cover that, but maybe not for 4 months in Spain.

Reactions: Vivm17

Vivm17

Just Joined
Jun 12, 2019
It may just be worth taking the risk. Insurers always charge highly for anything a little bit different. If they reckon there is a 10% chance of a theft in a year they will charge probably a 20% annual premium; and if they can't quantify the risk they will always make a high estimate of the risk.

Also, you have probably already thought, don't buy the most expensive bikes; just good quality but maybe slightly more basic ones from the likes of Woosh.

Do make sure you have third party insurance, though. CTC (whoops, sorry Cycling UK) membership will cover that, but maybe not for 4 months in Spain.
Thanks for your very useful input.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Welcome

Hope you get your problem sorted somehow