Help! Ebike kit I can carry in airports and charge my Macbook

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
They will want to see it has the CE mark on an official manufacturers label one would expect.
I checked on Easyjet website and it says this:
"Spare Lithium batteries Lithium ion batteries for portable (including medical) electronic devices, a Wh rating exceeding 100Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh. For portable medical electronic devices only, lithium metal batteries with a lithium content exceeding 2 g but not exceeding 8 g. Maximum of two spare batteries in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits."

Looks like for europe I can carry up to 160wh? So a 125wh battery would be ok?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They never give you back anything they confiscate at airports, it's a gamble because poorly trained staff could make a mistake, and batteries are expensive - personally I wouldn't risk it and just use motorbikes instead in every country: easy to source, cheap to buy secondhand, easy to sell, they're cooler, and if you're careful about your purchases, their value won't depreciate very much over short periods of time. You could buy a decent secondhand bike for the cost of an ebike battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Would an e-scooter work for you Cwah ?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yeah e-scooter would work as well. I was wondering if I should have that instead in fact

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm about to buy the quiroll kit and I'll create customs battery up to 100wh.

I noticed the battery plug has a 3 pin connector:

Anyone has an idea why? It wouldn't be a ground pin? What could it be?

Just want to know if it would work by just pluggin in a this 24V battery box:

With each 21700 cell costing about €7. Even if I get these confiscated at the airport it would 'only' cost me €84 (6s2p configuration. Each 6s pack would be 100wh)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wonder what happens to all the ebike batteries they do confiscate at airports? Do they end up selling for comparatively little in Police auctions, or are there gigantic warehouses full of confiscated batteries somwhere? Hope they're not simply thrown into landfills.

Reactions: cwah

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Likely a compatibility issue so you can't use a 3rd party battery .

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Likely a compatibility issue so you can't use a 3rd party battery .
Yeah I was wondering what is passing through the 3rd connector? I was wondering if the 3 connector was due to the phase sensor being used directly from the batterie?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What about configuring everything to run off Hobbyking lipos? As soon as you get off the plane, you can order some. You get them very quickly and they don't cost muxh. If you have to get another plane, chuck them and buy some more.

Reactions: cwah and guerney

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
What about configuring everything to run off Hobbyking lipos? As soon as you get off the plane, you can order some. You get them very quickly and they don't cost muxh. If you have to get another plane, chuck them and buy some more.
Yeah could be an option as well. 21700 on kit would be about the same price, safer and still as fast though

For now it seems there may be a problem with the qiroll battery 3 pin connectors... and the seller is taking forever to answer... so maybe it's bad they are taking so long when i m not even customer yet..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yeah could be an option as well. 21700 on kit would be about the same price, safer and still as fast though

For now it seems there may be a problem with the qiroll battery 3 pin connectors... and the seller is taking forever to answer... so maybe it's bad they are taking so long when i m not even customer yet..
Sellers on many sites seem to be dropshippers, and might not know anything... apart from how to make quick fractions of a buck by dropshipping.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Sellers on many sites seem to be dropshippers, and might not know anything... apart from how to make quick fractions of a buck by dropshipping.
i contacted the official qiroll site and got not much of an answer either:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i contacted the official qiroll site and got not much of an answer either:
Are you absolutely certain this is up to the job anyway? My 36v 250W bbs01b is great, and the minimum I'd accept, but at 24V, IMHO that Qiroll kit looks a little too puny for all but optically flat roads where all the air has been pumped out to reduce drag. Ok, that might be overegging it a bit, but you might be disappointed I think, depending on the relief of the country you visit. I think it'd stop on even moderate hills. That kit would work best on the moon, and might not be worth all the effort and stress in getting it through airport security.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Are you absolutely certain this is up to the job anyway? My 36v 250W bbs01b is great, and the minimum I'd accept, but at 24V, IMHO that Qiroll kit looks a little too puny for all but optically flat roads where all the air has been pumped out to reduce drag. Ok, that might be overegging it a bit, but you might be disappointed I think, depending on the relief of the country you visit. I think it'd stop on even moderate hills. That kit would work best on the moon, and might not be worth all the effort and stress in getting it through airport security.

Yeah thats also one of my concerns. However checking online reviews it doesn't seems too bad.

This one did convince me it may be the kit to use:

He did say he managed to get 13mph on throttle only. Some other review apparently got 8-10mph on throttle only.

So it looks sort of okay-ish?

And currently I'm just cycling with a normal road bike I'm astonished how much smoother the ride is compared to a 20kg ebike with hub motor drag, even when its a 3kg small freewheel hub.

This friction drive is 2kg total. Including battery and everything. Its 1/3rd of the BBS motor + battery kit. It may make a difference!

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yeah thats also one of my concerns. However checking online reviews it doesn't seems too bad.

This one did convince me it may be the kit to use:

He did say he managed to get 13mph on throttle only. Some other review apparently got 8-10mph on throttle only.

So it looks sort of okay-ish?

And currently I'm just cycling with a normal road bike I'm astonished how much smoother the ride is compared to a 20kg ebike with hub motor drag, even when its a 3kg small freewheel hub.

This friction drive is 2kg total. Including battery and everything. Its 1/3rd of the BBS motor + battery kit. It may make a difference!

I can certainly see the appeal, small and light... just wish it was 36V or more. Mind you, at a higher voltage they'd likely need heavier batteries, which somewhat reduces it's small and light appeal. Well, I hope it works out... hope you'll report back when you've tried it out.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I can certainly see the appeal, small and light... just wish it was 36V or more. Mind you, at a higher voltage they'd likely need heavier batteries, which somewhat reduces it's small and light appeal. Well, I hope it works out... hope you'll report back when you've tried it out.
They have a 33v model one that is more powerful and also doing regen. It's not much heavier as well. Maybe 3kg total?

I've been thinking to use it, but after consideration if I want something more powerful I shouldn't use a friction drive that isn t as efficient as a hub or chain drive

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They have a 33v model one that is more powerful and also doing regen. It's not much heavier as well. Maybe 3kg total?

I've been thinking to use it, but after consideration if I want something more powerful I shouldn't use a friction drive that isn t as efficient as a hub or chain drive
If I was dead set on buying this kit and they did a 33V version, I'd definitely go for the 33V!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My Revos friction drive is 24v/250w, I have been up some quite steep inclines in Mid Sx/Kent borders and not had any major issues. My Revos has no display, PAS or throttle but uses a led sensor that picks up the tooth count of the large rear sprocket to calculate speed and deliver the power.
Like the Qiroll it only adds about 2.5kg inc the 208wh battery.

Reactions: cwah and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My Revos friction drive is 24v/250w, I have been up some quite steep inclines in Mid Sx/Kent borders and not had any major issues. My Revos has no display, PAS or throttle but uses a led sensor that picks up the tooth count of the large rear sprocket to calculate speed and deliver the power.
Like the Qiroll it only adds about 2.5kg inc the 208wh battery.
Voltage isn't everything then. Maybe the OP will be fine with his initial choice of kit?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Of all the kits I have had BBS01 and various hubs front and rear because of the light weight and small mass, it is by far the easiest to ride over and above the 25km/h cut off and with none of the treacle ( dead weight mass) associated with other drives.