Ebike kits

Thetman

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2020
I'm looking to convert my voodoo agwe into an ebike

I understand most people spend thousands on an ebike and I'm not expecting miracles.

I would love a bit of reliability max speed doesn't have be amazing just enough to give me some assistance on slight banks

I need it to do around 25miles riding on gravel paths and tarmac road mixed the places I ride are not main roads they are more service and fire roads

If anyone could recommend a kit that would be great

I was thinking a rear hub either a 350w or a 1000w with a 36v 12.5AH OR 48V 13.5ah

Thanks for any help

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you want a kit of more than 250W, you should post your thread in the speed pedelecs section of the forum.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Woosh is right, but you probably really do want a (nominal) 250w one to keep legal. Many of the 350w ones are the same as the 250w ones marked differently because of curious regulations in different countries that put too much emphasis on 'nominal'. You almost certainly don't want a 1000w one; as well as being illegal they are mostly inefficient direct drive, only good at going too fast on the flat and needing very hefty (and expensive) batteries to do even that properly.

You could probably get away with a 350w (eg from Yosepower) and nobody would notice it was illegal unless you were VERY unlucky.

A Woosh 250w XF08 rear hub should be fine; not sure if he has them available right now though.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
You don't have to spend thousands. A rear wheel 250w geared hub motor will do all you are asking reliably and with more oomph than you think. Don't be fooled by the wattage ratings of motors - they are pretty much meaningless. What you need to look at is the maximum current that the controller will provide (17A is fairly standard), multiply this by the nominal voltage (36v) and you see you get 612W on max assist. ( A '250w' motor will handle this easily.) Couple this with a battery capable of delivering at least 20A max and you should be good to go.
Do not buy one of those cheap 1000w hubs, you will regret it.

Fiddler

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 15, 2020
Liverpool

I understand most people spend thousands on an ebike and I'm not expecting miracles.

I would love a bit of reliability max speed doesn't have be amazing just enough to give me some assistance on slight banks

I need it to do around 25miles riding on gravel paths keep you informed and tarmac road mixed the places I ride are not main roads they are more service and fire roads

I was thinking a rear hub either a 350w or a 1000w with a 36v 12.5AH OR 48V 13.5ah

Thanks for any help
Just done a conversion . All from sellers 100% eBay feedback . 48v 13ah batt rear wheel
Done 30 miles and still 3 blips left . Torque arm fitted gear side only

Fiddler

Nov 15, 2020
Liverpool

I need it to do around 25miles riding on gravel paths and tarmac road mixed the places I ride are not main roads they are more service and fire roads

Thanks for any help
Just found recommended by me Battery 48/13
Seller on eBay Hong Kong arrives 3 days early
Bespov001
Rear wheel 1000w seller
...whitemor-63(6)
All seem to be ok . Motor wire out of axle so torque arm fitted other side .. All easy and I'm astounded at performance. 28mph was top speed when batt full.
Still on first charge . . Problems? Bottle cage screw adapter needed . My bottom bracket needed taking off and sorting so PAS bracket fitted to bottom bracket cup remember Left hand thread . Not hydraulic brakes . Just front disc . Stops ok .
Interesting 15 programs on controller . I might set top speed to 15 . That's prog 8 . All amazing tech.

Fiddler

Nov 15, 2020
Liverpool
Just found recommended by me Battery 48/13
Seller on eBay Hong Kong arrives 3 days early
Bespov001
Rear wheel 1000w seller
...whitemor-63(6)
All seem to be ok . Motor wire out of axle so torque arm fitted other side .. All easy and I'm astounded at performance. 28mph was top speed when batt full.
Still on first charge . . Problems? Bottle cage screw adapter needed . My bottom bracket needed taking off and sorting so PAS bracket fitted to bottom bracket cup remember Left hand thread . Not hydraulic brakes . Just front disc . Stops ok .
Interesting 15 programs on controller . I might set top speed to 15 . That's prog 8 . All amazing tech.
Cost batt £209 seems average
Rear wheel kit with all you need . 167 £ 170 plus average
I'm going to make a few semi custom torque helpers
Just waiting for 6mm stainless to arrive . Will mill out
Slot for axle . The idea you drill out hole to fix the support plate to dropout via mudguard fix hole
If you have wires out of axle maybe slot for wires

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What you need to look at is the maximum current that the controller will provide (17A is fairly standard), multiply this by the nominal voltage (36v) and you see you get 612W on max assist. ( A '250w' motor will handle this easily.)
When calculating wattage one has to allow for inefficacy waste so approx 20 - 25% needs deducting form the final figure.

Thetman

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2020

Toying with this kit. The seller seems to respond quickly and has been very helpful

Thanks for the posts so far really informative. I think I posted this twice as I wasn't sure where to put it

Thanks again

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Elifeshop-2012 are PSWPower and Elifebike. They're a fairly reputable Chinese supplier. Without knowing about you and what you expect from it, I can't comment any further.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The above kit is a Yosepower kit and is their ebay shop in the EU.

Thetman

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2020
I thought they looked very similar.

I bike mostly for fitness so don't want to be pulling 30mph unassisted for the whole journey

I've spent 6 months out because of caring for someone so just need that little help on hills and getting my fitness back

The commute I would do some days would be about 25 mile round trip so ideally it would last for that without recharge

I'm not keen on the massive motors you see kicking about want something a bit more subtle but with enough output to help me along at 20mph ISH

Thanks again

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Elifeshop-2012 are PSWPower and Elifebike. They're a fairly reputable Chinese supplier. Without knowing about you and what you expect from it, I can't comment any further.
I think that as the kit is a Yose kit somewhere along the line they are all owned by a parent company which is likely elifebike.

Fiddler

Nov 15, 2020
Liverpool
I thought they looked very similar.

I bike mostly for fitness so don't want to be pulling 30mph unassisted for the whole journey

I've spent 6 months out because of caring for someone so just need that little help on hills and getting my fitness back

The commute I would do some days would be about 25 mile round trip so ideally it would last for that without recharge

I'm not keen on the massive motors you see kicking about want something a bit more subtle but with enough output to help me along at 20mph ISH

Thanks again
I have just done a conversion . 30 miles on one charge . Legal speeds almost + . eBay . Details somewhere here via me
Fiddler