eBike newbie with questions.

M83

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 4, 2015
HI,

I am toally new to the workd of eBikes. I have just spent the night reading up on things but have many questions I would like to ask. I am looking for an eBike mainly to do a 4 mile commute. I usually walk but it takes too long, sometimes I drive if the weather is bad. I think an ebike will be a great investment.

I have been looking at buying complete eBikes but they are rather expensive in the UK and mostly look unappealling. I have looked at importing one from the States which look much nicer and are a little cheaper although if you factor in shipping the price remains about the same.
What are the issues with buying from the States if any. I am worried about customs seizing it for having a motor of greater than 200 watts and being able to go over 15.5mph. Most of the USA bikes have 500 watt motors even 1200 watt ones. How strict are these rules for eBikes? How are they enforced?

The other option I have been looking at is converting an existing bike to an eBike. A Specialized Hardrock Disk SE 2015. What are the pros and cons of this? How difficult would it be to fit myself? Can anyone recommend a kit for manily flat tarmac riding. Front or rear driven, pros and cons? I have also seen kits which have motors of over 200 watts being sold in the UK. Are these legal?

Thank you for any help.
J

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I've got to say it: Unless there's something wrong with you, you don't need an electric bike for aflat 4 mile ride. You should be able to go faster on a non-electric one. If you got an illegal fast electric bike, the difference in time is only afew minutes, so it's a big risk for little gain, plus a lot of unnecessary expense.

Are there other reasons that you might want an ebike?

Reactions: Artstu

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The law is strict but not Known or enforced much.
A 250 watt labled bike with 25kph cut out should be fine.
But some kits can be adapted to higher power and speed.
4 miles is nothing in range terms.
An import will take time and any issues will be hard to resolve.
A UK kit will have support and a belive the whoosh cd is easy to fit.
Thre are others and some of the manufacturers will advise on there stuff.

Last edited:

M83

Feb 4, 2015
Because I am lazy. Ha ha. There is nothing wrong with me but after 10 hours at work I would rather get home with as little effort as possible.

I think the main reason is curiousity tbh. The SO is curious too and wants me to try it before she makes a decision. She uses the car much more than I do but wants a reliable alternative that is more green.

I am not really looking for fast, just a little help when I am tired after a long day, easy to use and maintain.

Thank you for your help.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If you import a bike from the states then I'd imagine you'll get caught for Duty and VAT - I expect in the region of £100-£200, so you need to factor that in. I don't think they would seize it for being over the 200 watt limit. I have imported kits from China (and one from USA) without problems.

As for conversion, it can be done for £400-£600, depending on what you want - with your 4 mile journey nearly all kits will cope.

The 200w limit is a bit of a red herring. In reality in the UK this is 250w and the law is about to change I think.

Over 250w is not legal, but you are unlikely to get caught if you are sensible.

Conversion is not hard if you are handy with a spanner. Front wheel is easiest (don't have to mess with adjusting dérailleurs), but if you want more than 250w rear wheel is probably best.

I converted a Hardrock Sport disk for a friend last year. I but a 500w Bafang CST in it.

Reading between the lines, you want a bike that looks as much like a bike as possible? Have you looked at the Kudos bikes (Tornado perhaps?)

Hope that helps

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Which USA bikes have you seen that you like? We need some idea of what you're looking for.

M83

Feb 4, 2015
Hi,

I am looking for something as bike like as possible. I have been looking at some prodecotech bikes as well as this on indiegogo which is tempting.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/storm-electric-bike/x/6154024#home
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/725497/electric-mountain-fold-up-bikes-new-design-initiat?ref=nav_search

Since I have a bike already I am probably going to get a conversion kit. Seems the most sensible. Which ones are the most reliable and easy to fit and maintian? Also does anyone know which ones will fit my specialezed?

Thank you for the help.
J

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Neither of those look very much like a normal bike. This site has links to many bikes available in the UK and a few searches will give you all the information you asked for at the beginning. Plenty of bikes around, torque sensor, speed sensor, crank drive, front and rear wheel hub drive. Take your pick. You don't need to import something from the US at great cost and find it's illegal and impossible to get repaired.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's ilegal and stands out so much you would get done.
However if you look at electric recumbents you can get a legal bike with a high cool factor.
check out Twinkles trike for sale it's complete, cool and in the UK.
Unfortunately it's ilegal but you could restrict it and have massive range in a legal form?

M83

Feb 4, 2015
Both of the US made bikes are just 'cool' looking especially the chopper. At $4500 it is way too much money anyway.

Thank you for the help
J

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the kickstarter bike is sold at below cost. Beware.

M83

Feb 4, 2015
the kickstarter bike is sold at below cost. Beware.
What problems do you foresee from buying from kickstarter? That's the idea of kickstarter. It is incentive for people.

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
If it is sold below cost how can they make and sell them?
Kickstarter is to start a business . Business need to make profit or break even. If it costs the company more to make then they go bust keeping your money?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You pledge money to support the project, you (and your money) are not protected by consumers laws like you would if it were on ebay or amazon or from their website. The problem is that the given prices for the battery and whole bike are so closed to Chinese factory prices - I'd even say that they are below Chinese factory prices that leaves no operating profit for the company.

M83

Feb 4, 2015
Sorry, I can't find where it says it is being sold below cost price?

Thank you
J

M83

Feb 4, 2015
Having done a bit more research I have decided that a conversion is the way to go. I am considering ones from cyclotricity, oxydrive and woosh. Is one better than another? I am favouring cyclotricity as they are only 45 mins away by car.

Can anyone tell me how front driven and rear driven feels when riding? Is rear driven better like in cars?

Is it possible to fit both front and rear motors? I am just curious about this as I cannot seem to find anothing about it.

Thank you
J

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
d8veh is the conversion guru on here. He's done 2WD and even one with 3 motors. There are different models from each supplier, it's not easy to say what's best for you. In general, the answer depends on:
1. the donor bike
2. your budget
3. where you live
4. the range you want
Give us more information, we'll explain the why.

M83

Feb 4, 2015
I have a Specialezed Hardrock Disk SE 2015. It looks like the minimum spend is £500 but don't want to spend more than £700 including fitting. I live near to Guildford in Surrey. I only around 10 miles a day max. Although weekends maybe more.

Thank you
J

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you should consider the suppliers advertising on this forum first, because they give good support and a lot of members bought kits from them.
However, your £500 budget exludes the more expensive kits from Cyclezee and Oxygen. Your choices are limited to Cyclotricity and Woosh. For your bike, a rear wheel conversion will look better. If you go for Cyclotricity rear wheel kit (from £499), that will be direct drive (gearless, silent running, very long life but heavy and requires a new freewheel). If you go for Woosh, that will be the £499 CST kit (geared, efficient, 15AH bigger battery size). The Cyclotricity battery would fit the range you want perfectly.