ebike not working forward and backwards!

barbe

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2019
pedaling forward not working.
pull the ebike backwards to make it roll, not working...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What type of motor drive hub or mid drive ?
Just seen your other post BBS01.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
pedaling forward not working.
pull the ebike backwards to make it roll, not working...
I have to admit that I do not understand your statement of "..........not working. pull the ebike backwards to make it roll, not working........" That remains a mystery for me personally!!!
Check and measure your Battery voltage ? Always a good place to start.
Also stae the nominal voltage as well, that is what is stamped or printed on the battery itself.
You will need a voltmeter of reasonable accuracy to make the measurement.
Has the battery been properly maintained over the winter, or just simply ignored?
Andy

barbe

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2019
ok. I can't pedal forward, If I push the bike back without sitting on it, the bike will freeze.
But all is solved. Look at the photo and you will understand :35493

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
that's why the ebike is not going forward or backward….
Good that you looked and found it.
Just out of interest, how old is this bike and how many miles (if you know) has it done in its lifetime?
Do you now know if it can be repaired or not?
Andy

barbe

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2019
The bike alone is 8 years old. the conversion kit is one year old and 600 km.
Yes, sure it can be repaired, I ordered yesterday a new plastic cover and I need two new circlips.
And with that im sure the ebike will work again.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
The bike alone is 8 years old. the conversion kit is one year old and 600 km.
Yes, sure it can be repaired, I ordered yesterday a new plastic cover and I need two new circlips.
And with that im sure the ebike will work again.
The question remains, will it fail again, with the same/similar problem in a further 600 KM or so?
e.g. Is this a failure of the kit, or of the person who installed it, as it cannot be accepted as normal for either reason, can it?

I personally see it sad that so often, plastic gears are STILL in use on e-bikes, even if, apparently, that is not the direct cause of the failure, as in this case, the circlip and cover were.

Regards and thanks for bringing the information to our notice, and I hope that you are back riding again in a very short time.
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Insatllation won't be the cause unless the Op has carried out maintenance/removal of the gearing/drive, likely to be QC in manufacturing/production process (maybe it was a Friday special).

Last edited:

barbe

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2019
The question remains, will it fail again, with the same/similar problem in a further 600 KM or so?
e.g. Is this a failure of the kit, or of the person who installed it, as it cannot be accepted as normal for either reason, can it?

I personally see it sad that so often, plastic gears are STILL in use on e-bikes, even if, apparently, that is not the direct cause of the failure, as in this case, the circlip and cover were.

Regards and thanks for bringing the information to our notice, and I hope that you are back riding again in a very short time.
Andy
I hope it won't fail again! Im not faulty, that's not exactly what I can say because I am the one who opened the engine after a terrible overheating I had to do that. I had to put some new teflon grease onto the nylon plastic gear which is in good state. Here came the bad thing : this nylon gear and pinion are held in place by circlips. I realized that they were in poor condition, but I still put them together as is. And they failed.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I hope it won't fail again! Im not faulty, that's not exactly what I can say because I am the one who opened the engine after a terrible overheating I had to do that. I had to put some new teflon grease onto the nylon plastic gear which is in good state. Here came the bad thing : this nylon gear and pinion are held in place by circlips. I realized that they were in poor condition, but I still put them together as is. And they failed.
As many mid motor owners here already know, I personally find such Mid Motor installations, any of them, to be generally poor in design, and poor in support from the manufacturers, and I can only say to anyone considering buying one, DON'T!
The biggest single failure is that all power, both human and electrical, goes through the single chain, causing extra wear and sometimes breakages.
These breakages can in some cases cause a really long walk, where conventional hub designs, have a simple fail safe design, that allows pedaling home if the motor/battery fails, or riding home using either the PAS or the hand throttle, if the chain breaks.
I am really sorry that you had to experience this problem, but I also thank you most kindly for bringing it to our attention here on Pedelec, and telling us all exactly as it was.
You and all the other owners/users of mid motor designs, deserve far better from your invested money and time....
Let us all hope that in he near future, the designers and sellers start of such systems manage to get their act in order, and are able to supply reliable systems at reasonable prices, for anyone.
regards and thanks again for your posts and pictures.

Andy

barbe

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2019
good news! my ebike is back in service! after some unexpected adventures I reassembled the engine without forgetting *of course* to check the hall sensors (one of the 3 was badly placed) which forced me to restart, correct and reassemble ... For the hole in the plastic cover , while waiting for the new one, I put tesa ... What I got out of this incident is always to change the circlips once they have been dismantled! Luckily I found new ones 100 meters from my home at the hardware store!

Reactions: Andy-Mat and Woosh

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
good news! my ebike is back in service! after some unexpected adventures I reassembled the engine without forgetting *of course* to check the hall sensors (one of the 3 was badly placed) which forced me to restart, correct and reassemble ... For the hole in the plastic cover , while waiting for the new one, I put tesa ... What I got out of this incident is always to change the circlips once they have been dismantled! Luckily I found new ones 100 meters from my home at the hardware store!
Sounds great, thanks for the update.
Andy