EBike repair stand recommendations

bayzoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2020
Hi,

Just got my new CUBE Cross Hybrid Pro 625 Allroad and I’m thrilled with it, but I had to index my gears as the rear derailleur cable wasn’t tightened and it came completely slack, and trying to do this without a stand on a 24kg bike was a bit tricky.

Can anyone recommend a good value stand? I’ve Googled and loads come up but I’m not sure if our larger frame diameters might mean some are incompatible?

Many thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: bayzoo

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Mine was £30 off Amazon and it's the bike accessory I've bought. Looking for one for a friend and they seem to have none available at all today.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
View attachment 35107

mine was 25 quid fkn gone up loads!
Yeah I've also got the Halfords Bikehut one - thank I got a discount via their website at the time - LIDL or ALDI might occasionally do one cheaper but not currently and can't vouch for quality.

bayzoo

Apr 22, 2020
Thanks all just went for the Halfords stand as I can collect that tomorrow en route to the weekly shop. I’ve discovered a rattling sound at that occurs when maintaining a medium/fast constant speed so need to see if something has come loose

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
Yeah I've also got the Halfords Bikehut one - thank I got a discount via their website at the time - LIDL or ALDI might occasionally do one cheaper but not currently and can't vouch for quality.
I have a LIDL one well made, fits around large top tube no problems.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I never got on with, or fully trusted my supermarket stand for my e bike. It was fine for lighter bikes, but my step through e bike made things more problematic. I couldn't trust the clamp on the saddle post. I took a deep breath and got the basic Park Tools job. The PCS 9. Whilst not perfect, the clamp is very secure and easy to tighten by way of a nice crank lever. I have now learnt the knack of lifting the bike high enough to clamp it via the bottom tube, just ahead of the motor.

If I had a bike with a crossbar, I would probably have persevered with the cheaper stand.

Whatever you get, workstands are invaluable. I changed the disc pads on my bike yesterday. It would have been a ball ache doing it at ground level!

bayzoo

Apr 22, 2020
Thanks all - picked up the Halfords Bike Hut stand today after queuing outside in the rain for 30min. Got it set up within 10 min and it worded a treat. Managed to index my gears ok and a few other tweaks, and the rattle seems to have gone for now.

So very happy with my purchase - as you say it makes maintenance 10 times easier!

Reactions: Poolepete and PP100

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I too picked up a Halfords Bike Hut stand yesterday (only 5 minutes queuing though). It's brilliant. I've never owned a workstand before & it's so much easier to work on the bike & especially good with supporting the extra weight of an e-bike. Thanks for the recommendation.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I agree - the Halfords shop guys weirdly tried to talk me out of their own bikehut one - said it wasn't up to the job. I bought it anyway and it's been brilliant. Maybe if you are putting 10 or 12 bikes a day on one it might end up breaking but for private owners all these cheap stands are fine.
Mike

darren66

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2020
Hi,

Just got my new CUBE Cross Hybrid Pro 625 Allroad and I’m thrilled with it, but I had to index my gears as the rear derailleur cable wasn’t tightened and it came completely slack, and trying to do this without a stand on a 24kg bike was a bit tricky.

Can anyone recommend a good value stand? I’ve Googled and loads come up but I’m not sure if our larger frame diameters might mean some are incompatible?

Many thanks.
I've had the same bike for a while now, if you have any questions or problems feel free to ask.

bayzoo

Apr 22, 2020
I've had the same bike for a while now, if you have any questions or problems feel free to ask.
Yes your earlier posts helped seal the deal for me, thanks. How has it been running for you till now? Have you made any customisations yet?

I’d never ridden an ebike until I got this one delivered - it’s so much fun. You’re right in saying it’s a heavy bike and I won’t be beating any road bikers on the flats and down hills, but it eats hills like a monster!

I did have an issue with the gears but I’m fairly hands on so fixed that, and what I thought was motor rattle must have been something else as that’s now disappeared.

Did my longest cycle of 14 miles (locally) in about an hour yesterday evening - got to a max speed of 30 mph on a very steep down hill. I passed a few bikers a did feel a bit of glee and guilt at the same time!

I’ll be using this for my daily commute 3 days a week when lockdown eases - it’s about an 18 mile round trip so just not too far. I’m just outside Edinburgh and will be commuting into the city and we have very strong headwinds.

Funnily enough I’ve not seen any other ebikers - the bike does turn heads when they hear my motor.

I can see why people get tempted to derestrict these bikes but for me it’s too dangerous - came off my motorbike at about 30mph 15 years ago and that was sore enough with all the gear on!

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
View attachment 35107

mine was 25 quid fkn gone up loads!

I got the same one from Lidl a couple of weeks ago. It was only £20 I think. Its rated up to 30kg, easy to use and looks to be well made.

darren66

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2020
Yes your earlier posts helped seal the deal for me, thanks. How has it been running for you till now? Have you made any customisations yet?

I’d never ridden an ebike until I got this one delivered - it’s so much fun. You’re right in saying it’s a heavy bike and I won’t be beating any road bikers on the flats and down hills, but it eats hills like a monster!

I did have an issue with the gears but I’m fairly hands on so fixed that, and what I thought was motor rattle must have been something else as that’s now disappeared.

Did my longest cycle of 14 miles (locally) in about an hour yesterday evening - got to a max speed of 30 mph on a very steep down hill. I passed a few bikers a did feel a bit of glee and guilt at the same time!

I’ll be using this for my daily commute 3 days a week when lockdown eases - it’s about an 18 mile round trip so just not too far. I’m just outside Edinburgh and will be commuting into the city and we have very strong headwinds.

Funnily enough I’ve not seen any other ebikers - the bike does turn heads when they hear my motor.

I can see why people get tempted to derestrict these bikes but for me it’s too dangerous - came off my motorbike at about 30mph 15 years ago and that was sore enough with all the gear on!
Hi,
I've covered approx 600 miles now and have made a few changes but I've not owned a bike that I didn't! tyres Schwalbe Big Apple 2", Suntour NCX 12 suspension post and SMP TRK saddle, Suntour Raidon air forks, Topeak MTX post mount rack and bag, Trelock frame lock, OnOne OG V2 bars, Answer stem, Wolf tooth Fat Paw silicone grips and a Lezyne 500 lumen front light...oh and a Speedbox 3.0, think that's all?
I purchased it on a whim, but I've hardly ridden my other bikes since, it got my wife back interested in cycling and I installed a rear hub motor kit on the bike she hadn't used for about a year.

Attachments

bayzoo

Apr 22, 2020
That’s a lot more than I’ve done! I’m interested in doing a rear hub conversion for my wife on her bike (has been out on it once) as well - maybe a project for the summer.

I’m liking these tyres - I’m a novice to bikes and needing tyres that would suit a tarmac commute and are strong to resist most punctures, any suggestions?

darren66

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2020
That’s a lot more than I’ve done! I’m interested in doing a rear hub conversion for my wife on her bike (has been out on it once) as well - maybe a project for the summer.

I’m liking these tyres - I’m a novice to bikes and needing tyres that would suit a tarmac commute and are strong to resist most punctures, any suggestions?
My wife's bike

Attachments

darren66

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2020

These Schwalbe Big Apple tyres are really good and offer better puncture protection than the original fitment, although the original tyres do look nice. The Big Apple tyres that I have fitted are only! 2" wide which was a good trade off, as the 2.25" version are quite a bit heavier as are the full on puncture proof plus version, and mine were only £30 the pair.

darren66

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2020
That's a nice looking road bike - what motor did you use? I hear the Bafang ones are pretty decent
It's the Woosh bikes Aikema SX85, it's the smallest/lightest hub motor they offer but still has 40? Nm of torque, which is plenty. The main reason I chose this kit was the fact it has black motor/rim/spokes to match the original front, it would have bugged me every time I looked at it, if it didn't match.
The complete kit comes with inline brake sensors and a thumb throttle, you don't have to fit these and I didn't intend to originally but everything went together easily and I didn't like the idea of loose, unused connectors from the display.