Help! Ebike running in Learning mode only

Jackho

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 8, 2021
After replacing controller I followed the Self learning routine , the motor rotated in the right direction and i disconnected the two wires. i continued to connect the remaining wiring. When powered up everything was dead. Eventually i got back to reconnecting the learning wires and all was good.
disconnecting again was same result so I reconnected and everything worked so kept. Buttoned everything up and went on a test run to find brakes wouldn't disengage the motor. everything else worked ok.
Am I right in thinking the controller is still in some form of test mode that is bypassing the brake interlock , also not sure if peddle assist in some way affects this function (only color that didn't match R,Bk,G to R,Bk,Bl ) (brake wiring and testing is ok)!!
Any hints where the problem might lay or how to "reset"? the controller.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The braking is independent of anything else. how many wires do the brakes have and what colours are they on each side of the connectors.

Your PAS is correct.

How do you know that those wires are self-learning wires?

Jackho

Mar 8, 2021
The braking is independent of anything else. how many wires do the brakes have and what colours are they on each side of the connectors.

Your PAS is correct.

How do you know that those wires are self-learning wires?
Yes 2 black and white wires connected in parallel. Brake sensors confirmed as working N.O. closed when applied. White line +5v. Maybe the clue is the voltage collapses with brakes applied. 5v taken from LED light supply.

The self learning are Green and identified on pin out connections at controller.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes 2 black and white wires connected in parallel. Brake sensors confirmed as working N.O. closed when applied. White line +5v. Maybe the clue is the voltage collapses with brakes applied. 5v taken from LED light supply.

The self learning are Green and identified on pin out connections at controller.
That's correct for the brake voltage. The signal wire is only held up at 5v by a high value resistor. It's not a 5v supply. When the switch closes, it pulls it down to ground. The CPU sees a high signal when the brake is off and low when on.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Did you do the self-learning mode correctly. You switch off, connect the wires and switch on. You wait and watch until the wheel starts turning forward by itself, then switch off, disconnect the wires and everything should work. If the motor spins the wrong way during the procedure, you repeat the procedure.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Far too many problems re ebikes for friends liking as if not battery problems then always something else in Ebikes up with them and think more should be looked into their problems as to why so many ?

As well with a motor bike or even staying with a non e bike
as its all u tend to hear about are problems ..spoke to 2 people recent with e bikes

as i enquired about the upkeep of them
and told dont bother buying one as too much problems with e bikes
and on here its all u read also about is always problems within e bikes

And for the price people pay their should be no problems with them at all
not in first few yrs anyhow ..Was going to purchase locally as opposed
to purchasing from woosh or wisper online as felt would be best buy local
but after speaking to 2 locals about their bikes they said they wont buy again
and they purchased online . One guy is going the motor bike route and other is just staying
non ebike he said > Problems then solved and his e bike at 3 yrs old had nothing
but problems . But again all to their own i say :)

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Far too many problems re ebikes for friends liking as if not battery problems then always something else in Ebikes up with them and think more should be looked into their problems as to why so many ?

as its all u tend to hear about are problems ..spoke to 2 people recent with e bikes

That's a bit like saying that somebody needs to look at why people become ill or die, then saying that you'd rather not have a life because there are too many problems with it.

Reactions: mike killay

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
That's a bit like saying that somebody needs to look at why people become ill or die, then saying that you'd rather not have a life because there are too many problems with it.
Get real ^ :D

Facts are far too many problems with E Bikes and people who have purchased them are now beginning to wisen up regards such v

Are far too many problems re ebikes for friends liking as if not battery problems then always something else in Ebikes up with them and think more should be looked into their problems as to why so many ?

and they purchased online . One guy is going the motor bike route and other is just staying
non ebike he said > Problems then solved and his e bike at 3 yrs old had nothing
but problems . But again all to their own i say .[/QUOTE]

Scruffydroid

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2020
Get real ^ :D

Facts are far too many problems with E Bikes and people who have purchased them are now beginning to wisen up regards such v

Are far too many problems re ebikes for friends liking as if not battery problems then always something else in Ebikes up with them and think more should be looked into their problems as to why so many ?

but problems . But again all to their own i say .
[/QUOTE]
Stay off the Bucky!

• :D
Reactions: budsy

Jackho

Mar 8, 2021
Did you do the self-learning mode correctly. You switch off, connect the wires and switch on. You wait and watch until the wheel starts turning forward by itself, then switch off, disconnect the wires and everything should work. If the motor spins the wrong way during the procedure, you repeat the procedure.
I'm going to repeat the selflearning once more to try and prove issue. However if everything else works then either way it shouldnt be a problem.
That said I'm not sure the pos is working and may be related?? (All temp. connections on a folding bike and no proper stand plus weight , difficult to control.)

On issue with brakes I think I understand your expert knowledge so can I interpret this by reasoning I shouldnt have the Black return leg of the brake switch at ground potential as its acting as a sw wire. But still need a 5v feed to the White.?
Hope I'm getting close to sealing up and enjoying the ride again. Jackho

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'm going to repeat the selflearning once more to try and prove issue. However if everything else works then either way it shouldnt be a problem.
That said I'm not sure the pos is working and may be related?? (All temp. connections on a folding bike and no proper stand plus weight , difficult to control.)

On issue with brakes I think I understand your expert knowledge so can I interpret this by reasoning I shouldnt have the Black return leg of the brake switch at ground potential as its acting as a sw wire. But still need a 5v feed to the White.?
Hope I'm getting close to sealing up and enjoying the ride again. Jackho
The connector coming from the controller has two wires: black is ground and the other is the signal held at 5v. All you do is connect them to a brake switch either way round. You can test it by shorting the two wires, which is what the switch does.