Ebike Security How Do you secure your bike?

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Hi everyone I just wanted to know how people secure there bikes. Reason being I keep seeing all these new locks on YouTube claiming there so much better than D locks. I have a D lock and never had someone try to take my bike. I also use one of the thick wire type locks along with a padlock. Mine are master locks and I purchased a master padlock for the thick wire type. I don't expect the wire type to discourage a determined thief but it will slow them down if they ever try to steal it. I also like that it secures at least my back wheel from easily being taken. I insure my bike and they require a gold standard lock and mine is but what do you use and why?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I use a chain lock from Wilko. Looks gnarly and will survive more than a pair of scissors. I used to use a kryptonite one but it was far too short. For the more dodgy areas I was considering doubling them up. I'm not insured but never had an issue as long as it's locked. I have had some lights and a top tube bag pinched once though

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
At home, it's locks, lights and dynamic dog security. Put the battery indoors if you like. They're a costly replacement. :eek:

I don't need to leave my bikes outdoors, ever.

Barking bell small.jpg

Reactions: Gringo

Kate page

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2018
I have an Abus Granit for overnight, and a Bordo for out and about...
To be fair, i don't really rely on locks as I have bike insurance so that in itself gives me peace of mind

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I have an Abus Granit for overnight, and a Bordo for out and about...
To be fair, i don't really rely on locks as I have bike insurance so that in itself gives me peace of mind
Be careful your bike insurers don’t get out of that because your bike wasn’t locked using a suitable lock

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
In work I use this below ,
And at home it’s in an asguard insurance approved bike container
4F4B5C9D-CAE7-4F57-B557-387067D71844.jpeg

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I have bike insurance so that in itself gives me peace of mind
I don't have bike insurance but am thinking about it. How does it typically work? If the bike is stolen do they

(1) Give you the amount you actually paid for the bike when you bought it new?

(2) Do they give you the current second hand value of the bike? If this is the case then after reading a recent thread on here, a two year old e-bike can be worth less than a quarter of the price when new.

(3) Do they give you a set amount that is agreed at the start of the insurance and this depends on how much premium you are prepared to pay? If you continue to pay this premium ever year you will still get the amount agreed back, even if the current second hand value of the bike is now well below the agreed figure.

When insuring a car I seem to remember its option (2) so if e-bikes are the same is there much point insuring say a bike much more than two years old, as the premium you are paying is going to be a fair percentage of the money you would get back if the bike is stolen.

Kate page

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2018
I don't have bike insurance but am thinking about it. How does it typically work? If the bike is stolen do they

(1) Give you the amount you actually paid for the bike when you bought it new?

(2) Do they give you the current second hand value of the bike? If this is the case then after reading a recent thread on here, a two year old e-bike can be worth less than a quarter of the price when new.

(3) Do they give you a set amount that is agreed at the start of the insurance and this depends on how much premium you are prepared to pay? If you continue to pay this premium ever year you will still get the amount agreed back, even if the current second hand value of the bike is now well below the agreed figure.

When insuring a car I seem to remember its option (2) so if e-bikes are the same is there much point insuring say a bike much more than two years old, as the premium you are paying is going to be a fair percentage of the money you would get back if the bike is stolen.
My Zurich insurance policy covers the amount I paid for the bike.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev