Ebikes and the Unfit Very Heavy Rider - A Cautionary Tale for Newcomers

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
PS - if anyone wants to explain my 'Spud Intolerance', I'm all ears. I don't think its a nightshade family problem, as tomatoes and peppers don't appear to trouble me (unless its the sheer volume of spuds that gives the problem LOL). First I've ever heard of someone having issues with Potatoes. Sigh. They are one of my garden's most successful crops - and I love eating them!!
If you're overweight and pre-diabetic/diabetic: sugar increases inflammation? Potatoes increase blood sugar levels rapidly. Bread will do the same, wholemeal or otherwise - gluten may not be one of the culprits? Keep losing weight!

Last edited:

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Regular massage helps along with Steroid injections. However, for me a good pair of compression socks and an insole with a strengthened, raised arch significantly helps. Had mine way before I was cycling.
I had Plantar Fasciitis for several months and it made my quite long daily walks a literal pain in the foot. At the time, I was walking 5 to 8 miles a day and nothing I did made any difference. My partner advised me to stretch the strong ligament that goes along the base of the foot, and showed me some exercises which made the toe tilt up towards the knee. They were not that comfortable and difficult to do, so I adapted them by standing on a stair on my affected foot, with only the ball of the foot on the stair and most of my foot hanging off the stair. Then I started gently bouncing my weight on the ball of my foot and letting my foot bend up towards the knee. This I did more and more until I gradually stretched that ligament under the sole of the foot. I was doing it about five times a day for a minute or so each time. Within a week, the plantar fasciitis was just about gone and within a fortnight, I had more or less forgotten I ever had it. It has never come back since.

I passed this tip on to a mate who walked a lot and had the problem and it worked for him as well.

Try it if you suffer this.

EDIT:

On Type 2 Diabetes:

One of my neighbours is a pretty huge bloke. He is called 'Tank' by everyone around here. He had diabetes (Type 2) and he was pretty much in hiding from the world during the early covid epidemic. He decided to lose weight and he significantly limited his calorie intake. He has lost four stones and he is no nolonger diabetic. He reckons he wants to lose another stone or so, but he looks so much fitter and is out and about all the time rather than lurking indoors. He did it like someone else here by eating only once a day - which sounds pretty hard to me, but he prefers it that way. Another way he might have tried would be to strictly limit carbohydrate intake, and focus of vegetables and protein.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
so I adapted them by standing on a stair on my affected foot, with only the ball of the foot on the stair and most of my foot hanging off the stair. Then I started gently bouncing my weight on the ball of my foot and letting my foot bend up towards the knee. This I did more and more until I gradually stretched that ligament under the sole of the foot.
I had a similar problem and solution. Just one difference: the lady who suggested it stressed that I should not actually bounce, just to leave the weight to do the stretching. I guess very gentle bouncing might be OK.

Reactions: Tony1951

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I had a similar problem and solution. Just one difference: the lady who suggested it stressed that I should not actually bounce, just to leave the weight to do the stretching. I guess very gentle bouncing might be OK.
Yes - the bounce was my idea/ I was advised to stretch the sole and the stair trick was the most convenient way to do it for me. You can hold the banister with one hand to steady yourself and stretch the ligament without effort.