Ebikes versus normal bikes for commuting

maloflora

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2012
Well I managed 16 miles today without keeling over, so I'm making progress!

Thanks for all the advice on tyre-changing. Still seems like a bit of a palaver - any tyre recommendations that can reduce the frequency of punctures?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Schwalbe do some excellent puncture resistant tyres e.g. Durano Plus. Could also check out some of the reviews on tyres here: Bike Components: Tyres - BikeRadar
I am sure other members could give their opinion on others. Hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've sent an e-mail to them to clarify the situation.

I've noticed that I get 0.05% regen on my CST motor. This comes during the time between
cutting the throttle and the motor actually stopping, which can be a couple of seconds, so it's wrong to say that the Neos don't have regen, but the amount is so low that it's insignificant. Maybe that's what they mean.
So far, no reply to the e-mail - not even an acknowledgement. I think that that''s poor. I've sent them a reminder. Let's see what happens.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

maloflora

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks all -will look into both.

Did 20 miles on Sunday - still not dead. :p

Unless I'm boring everyone I'll keep adding the odd update / question to this thread, if that's ok.

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
Thanks all -will look into both.

Did 20 miles on Sunday - still not dead. :p

Unless I'm boring everyone I'll keep adding the odd update / question to this thread, if that's ok.
1. I use the Schwalbe Marathon + and they are worth every penny. Having less punctures is really worth it. I have also used Schwalbe Big Apple and they were very good as well. In future I would not wait for my first puncture, but change the rear tyre straight away.
2. After 2.5 years of use my findings are like this: I wonder if you'll have the comparable experiences:
a. You get much less sweaty on short to moderate distances. I use a poncho, so that helps too (as compared to a closed suit), but I can travel to a big Supermarket (about 2 miles) load up and cycle back uphill (half a mile of 12%) and I will not have to change. Same after a short commute (4.5 miles). I feel I could do the same distances without an eBike, but I'd be having to get changed and have showers a lot more.
b. Your arrival times become predictable. Nowadays I can go downtown (about 20 minutes and about 80 yards lower than where we live.) and come back up (about 22-24 minutes). In the past: rain and wind made the return trip vay between 26 and 40 minutes.
c. All short shopping trips with moderate loads have been replaced with eBike-trips. A basket in the front and a bag on the back can carry quite a lot.

I do not do the distances you do and therefore make do with a cheaper and heavier bike. But the same principles probably hold.