Ebikes with alloy/mag wheels?

essex_chris

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 29, 2022
I've been riding a Halfords Carerra Vengeance 2019 Ebike for a little over a year. Other than the usual issues with punctures here and there my biggest maintenance issue has been replacing spokes. I'm a 20stone rider and generally the bike has ept up better than expected. For a coupe of months though it has a 250w bafang motor i have had to replace the controller as it flat out died. Had a bit of troube doing that - but i think in the end after recutting and soldering ALL connections i now have it working with pedal assist and a throttle. The 36v 8ah battery does me very well but riding around 300-400 miles per month i'm in the market for an upgrade.

Currently looking at several Engwe models - in fact i would have ordered an L20 for ~£1000 if i hadnt hesitated - now likely no stock until the end of August.

Ideally i would get something through a supplier using the Cycle2work scheme that my employer uses - but if not i will likely use Klarna over 12 months to spread out the cost.

Looking for 48v 13ah minimum battery - prefer mag allow wheels. Unlockable controller if possible. Lights and cargo carrying frames appeal - hence the Engwe L20. I don't currently have a car but will be getting something in the next 6 months but the more comfortable and reliable my ebike the more i will continue to use it for the MTWTF 5am to 4pm commute of 10-12 miles.

There are so many reviews on Youtube, such a wide variety of bikess i am sure that there are many variants and models that i haven't even seen let alone researched.

Any suggestions very much appreciated

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've been riding a Halfords Carerra Vengeance 2019 Ebike for a little over a year. Other than the usual issues with punctures here and there my biggest maintenance issue has been replacing spokes. I'm a 20stone rider and generally the bike has ept up better than expected. For a coupe of months though it has a 250w bafang motor i have had to replace the controller as it flat out died. Had a bit of troube doing that - but i think in the end after recutting and soldering ALL connections i now have it working with pedal assist and a throttle. The 36v 8ah battery does me very well but riding around 300-400 miles per month i'm in the market for an upgrade.

Currently looking at several Engwe models - in fact i would have ordered an L20 for ~£1000 if i hadnt hesitated - now likely no stock until the end of August.

Ideally i would get something through a supplier using the Cycle2work scheme that my employer uses - but if not i will likely use Klarna over 12 months to spread out the cost.

Looking for 48v 13ah minimum battery - prefer mag allow wheels. Unlockable controller if possible. Lights and cargo carrying frames appeal - hence the Engwe L20. I don't currently have a car but will be getting something in the next 6 months but the more comfortable and reliable my ebike the more i will continue to use it for the MTWTF 5am to 4pm commute of 10-12 miles.

There are so many reviews on Youtube, such a wide variety of bikess i am sure that there are many variants and models that i haven't even seen let alone researched.

Any suggestions very much appreciated
Alloy wheels give a harsher ride and when they break, you're out. They do break if you hit them hard enough.

essex_chris

May 29, 2022
Oh I understand that there are some cons. But on balance I think mag wheels are what I'm looking for.
Chunky 3 or 4 inch tyres along with suspension help. My use is 90plus percent road and cycle path. I don't ride hard. I'm not especially looking for great feel or to be able to squeeze speed from a bumpy off road track.

Also considering a couple of Fafrees models. Engwe is first choice just gutted I didn't order before. I'd have it by now and they're out of stock till September - new models coming in I believe

essex_chris

May 29, 2022
There are several Engwe bikes that I am considering. My work uses www.cyclescheme.co.uk and unfortunately i'm not aware of any UK resellers who participate in this scheme. klarna and Paypal are other alternative for spreading the cost out. But when i get about a 1/3 discount and 12 months payment through Cyclescheme it's a tough option to beat. £1 spent costs 68p

Considering the retailer gets paid in full up front it's surprising that more don't use these schemes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if they did the back wheel on its own would be 5k :oops: