ECO Bike, Monark with Panasonic

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
While searching the web for information on the lightweight Gitane E-Bike 8 I found a model which is visually very similar.
I spoke to an enthusiastic and very helpful Mr. Paul Moor who assured me that the bike was in stock and that they are happy to sell to the trade.
He directed me to a part of the site which I quote.

A bike is being reviewd by AtoB magazine and web site. Check out their next edition.

Electrical powered cycle Monark ECO bike

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Dave, but a 3 speed, not making the best advantage of the Panasonic's through the gears system.

The multiplicity of these Panasonic unit bikes is getting very confusing now:

Biketech Flyer models

Kalkhoff Agattu, Pro Connect, Tasman (by Derby Cycle Group)

Raleigh Leicester, Dover (by Derby Cycle Group)

Helkama

Gazelle Easy Glider

Eco bike Monarch

BH

Rixe

I wonder what Giant would say about their 2006 position when they abandoned the Panasonic unit, saying it was impossible to make a profit on bikes using it.

Last edited:

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Thanks Dave, but yet another 3 speed, not making the best advantage of the Panasonic's through the gears system. I understand BH of Spain is also introducing two 3 speed models like this.

The multiplicity of these Panasonic unit bikes is getting very confusing now:

Biketech Flyer models

Kalkhoff Agattu, Pro Connect, Tasman (by Derby Cycle Group)

Raleigh Leicester, Dover (by Derby Cycle Group)

Helkama

Gazelle Easy Glider

Eco bike Monarch

BH

Rixe

I wonder what Giant would say about their 2006 position when they abandoned the Panasonic unit, saying it was impossible to make a profit on bikes using it.
Tony: If you are using my info, the 2 models of BH have 7 and 8 gears. The first 1.500 euros and the second 1.800. Don´t you think 300 euros plus is a lot for an 8th gear and suspension, by the way?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Poppy, I'll correct that.

I think 300 euros extra isn't too bad, since the 8 speed hub is quite a lot dearer than the 7 speed, and better quality suspension if that's used can be expensive. The really cheap suspension forks really aren't worth having, and I doubt BH would use them.