Eden Project e-bike event,April20-24

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Have just been advised that the exhibitor's list for this event is expanding....confirmed are.....Batribike,Cyclezee,Freego,Hero,Ice Trikes,Just Bikes,Kudos,Maxtrack(BH)....there are 6 more considering so it looks like the 14 maximum will be filled.
Please try to attend if you are in the West Country,if it is a success the Eden team will make it an annual event.
Jackhandy is putting in a lot of volunteer work to guide and help the organisers....thanks to him.
KudosDave

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The event organiser at the Eden Project has let me know that the above list of confirmed exhibitors is correct as of today.

We definitely have a small, flat test track, but she's working hard to get us a Hill as well. I've stressed how important this is, to sort-out the Roadrunners from the Turkeys :) and she's hopeful.

We've been out repainting signage & nagging Sustrans to get the Clay Trails in good order for those intending to use bikes to & from Eden during the event.

The Eden Project, the China Clay heritage centre & the Lost gardens of Heligan are all on the Clay Trails & have agreed to sign-up to Cyclecharge & the bike shop in St. Austell will, hopefully, follow suit, so there's no excuse for not bringing your ebike ( And your Wallet! )

I'll keep this tread updated as & when anything interesting arises.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
The event organiser at the Eden Project has let me know that the above list of confirmed exhibitors is correct as of today.

We definitely have a small, flat test track, but she's working hard to get us a Hill as well. I've stressed how important this is, to sort-out the Roadrunners from the Turkeys :) and she's hopeful.

We've been out repainting signage & nagging Sustrans to get the Clay Trails in good order for those intending to use bikes to & from Eden during the event.

The Eden Project, the China Clay heritage centre & the Lost gardens of Heligan are all on the Clay Trails & have agreed to sign-up to Cyclecharge & the bike shop in St. Austell will, hopefully, follow suit, so there's no excuse for not bringing your ebike ( And your Wallet! )

I'll keep this tread updated as & when anything interesting arises.
Great work. If I'm down over that period I'll try to come along to this.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Good news regarding the Eden event test track:

Janine, the commitee of 1 organising the event, has managed to get us a pretty decent test track - with some variation in horizontallity :)

I'll pedal orf over there sometime next week, camera, tape measure & inclinometer in hand, to get some statistics of the new track; but it's a paradigm :)p) improvement over what they originally offered.

If the April event is a success, which won't be for want of trying, we have been discussing the possibility of expanding, another year, to include Cardinham Wood mtb trails site & the still-under-construction, Lanhydrock bike hub.

Pave-Velo, the Lbs in St. Austell, are organising a street sprint/hill-climb in September; date dependent on when they can get the main street closed for the day, so you can bet I'll be doing my damnedest to make sure there's an ebike category. The event won't be elitist, they tell me, but open to all ability levels.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Kalkhof bikes will also be there (50 Cycles) and we (Bike Higher) will be bringing along a couple of our fleet of Sahel Compact rental bikes to spread the word about our new business venture. I look forward to meeting up with many of you there.

http://www.bikehigher,co,uk

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Rode the bouncer over to Eden today, on the Clay Trail from Wheal Martyn Heritage Centre: Had a swift measure-up of the test track we now have....

The track is a loop,400 yards with start & finish at a hairpin bend.
There is not a huge height differential - about 25 feet, with 5% inclines both up & down.

Hopefully, this will be enough to give a reasonable feel for the strengths & weaknesses of the various bikes: There are a couple of steeper paths nearby (10%), so we may just be able to wangle a few goes on them if we're lucky.

It looks as if we may be able to combine the original Arena track with what we now have, which would improve things further, both in length & height, but may cause havoc with traffic flow :rolleyes:

The Eden Project map, which exhibitors have been sent, shows the track highlighted:
e bike show Eden site map.jpg

I've put some photo's of the track on the next post, to avoid running foul of the 4-image-rule:
It may not be the most technical track at an event this year, but I'll bet it's one of the prettiest!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
This is the hairpin & shows one of the inclines:
hairpin.jpg

This is the bend at the far end:
bend.jpg

This gives a better idea of the height differential around mid-point:
differential.jpg

And this is the Arena, with the originally proposed small oval track:
arena.jpg

Janine has worked hard to get us to where we are now, so let's hope we have a good few days.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
As of today, the exhibitor list reads:

Batribike

Byocycles Ltd

Cycleze

Freego

Hero Ltd

Ice Trikes

Just Bikes

Kudos Bikes

Maxtrack

Ocean cycle

50cycles

Pave Velo

I don't see Bike Higher on there so, if you're coming, perhaps best to contact Janine Kelk at Eden.

Last edited:

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
We (Bike Higher) are sharing 50cycles stand (Eden Project only wanted dealers). Not long to wait now.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Called in to Pave-velo, the bike shop in St. Austell, just now & they confirm they'll have Scott ebikes at Eden.

The one sitting in the shop is a hybrid (700c wheels) with Bosch crank-drive.

What model?... Dunno, but it's a lurid Green!

They are awaiting delivery of a 29er & intend for that to be at the show too.

Prices are in the range of £2000 - 2500 or thereabouts.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Any reports of the first day ? Might manage to make it down sometime soon for a look-see.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Ready to go - the Test Track gazebo this morning

Gazebo.jpg

Some of the hard-working Eden staffers having a go

20130420_142412 - YouTube

UFOs on the Test Track

20130420_120955 - YouTube

The best spring day so far, in Cornwall made for a slow start to the Show, as everyone's gone to the beach, but things soon improved & we had lots of activity on the track, with a good percentage of fit young people tying bikes.
Nearly every one went away totally converted to the ebike concept - Big Grins abounded - Result!

:cool:

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Great stuff Pete, fingers crossed the weather stays good.

Wish I was there.....

Love the vid of those electric bubble things ???

Lynda :)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

Those UFO things ... LOL. I met the guy who sold those at NEC. He said his market was almost exclusively banned drivers who didn't fancy sitting on a bike saddle and were missing their enclosed personal space :D

Was a glorious day. Trouble is when it's nice I wind up in the garden catching up with endless overdue jobs followed by the sea for the rest of the afternoon. If the weather turns a bit I'll hopefully be down. I bet Eden was looking great in the Spring sunshine.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Just a quick note. Jackandy and the organisers have done a good job in a difficult environment to give us a test track which is ok for a good test especially suited for ebike novices,there is also a very challenging steep hill for the experts.
Just enough exhibitors to have an all round choice of bikes.
The weather yesterday was wonderful and today has started well.
Just need a few more testers.
KudosDave

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
As KD says, yesterday's weather was brilliant, but... Tody has been somewhat damp.

The gazebo today

gazebo day 2.jpg

A couple of laps yesterday in the sunshine - Me & my Helmet Camera: Apologies for the shaky video

[video=youtube_share;Gw0Ebrb7-ME]http://youtu.be/Gw0Ebrb7-ME[/video]