Egg and roll trailer

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Hello

Looking at trailers to go with my new pedelec.

I have had my eye on this one for a while. It always struck me that fibreglass could be the perfect material for a trailer.

Costs a bit less than a Carry Freedom but a similar idea.

What do you think? I sent them an email about attachment to a nutted axle, still waiting to hear back.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hello

Looking at trailers to go with my new pedelec.

I have had my eye on this one for a while. It always struck me that fibreglass could be the perfect material for a trailer.

What do you think? I sent them an email about attachment to a nutted axle, still waiting to hear back.
Looks very cool, waterproof, aerodynamic... but only 20kg capacity? I suppose it depends on what you want a bike trailer to do - uses look rather limited with that small enclosed shape.

The XL has 55kg capacity but it appears to be well suited to carry one very large egg. Transporting a door would be tricky (unless freeze dried and powdered).

@Nealh bought a Carry Freedom Large Y for £125 on ebay, I bought a Carry Freedom Small Y for £90 from the same online sales portal for infinite forms of tat, so a good deal can certainly be had. Search regular and deep, and you shall find... In fact, (if I don't include the train fare for collecting it) a second hand Carry Freedom cost me less than a new Homcom, which has been (despite the way it looks) extremely useful and well worth buying IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris667

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Thanks for that. They are really good points.

I suppose I like the idea of it being made of GRP. I spent a lot of time around boats and vehicles when I was younger.

Still really torn between the idea of a trailer that fixes to the axle and one that fixes to the seatpost, so I can trundle it around the shops like an old lady basket.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Still really torn between the idea of a trailer that fixes to the axle and one that fixes to the seatpost, so I can trundle it around the shops like an old lady basket.
If you use a folding bike, you could trundle that around too - no need to lose/lock both outside.
I suppose I like the idea of it being made of GRP. I spent a lot of time around boats and vehicles when I was younger.
It's a good material but heavy, and it'd be even heavier square. The XL version weighs 13kg to start with - more than twice that of the Carry Freedom Small Y. The Homcom weighs 15.5kg, and that's made with steel.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A trailer needs to be fit for the purpose of use, I opted for the CF because of it low Cof G and the ability to carry heavy bulky loads. Used prices appear to have have doubled since I bought mine but bargains sometimes can be had.
A typical one was an ikea slada trailer similar to the homcom but nicer , the seller on ebay offered it for £100 but no takers (reason why yet again collection only). Not selling it was relisted but at £60 , last time I looked still not sold because of collection only again. The person woul dhave easily sold it if they had added postage to the item and coul dhave likely managed that for about £15/20.

If the reason is only for shopping them set the bike up touring style and use four pammiers to spread the shop load.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't just use ebay , try other online portals.
Gumtree , preloved etc, etc.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A typical one was an ikea slada trailer similar to the homcom but nicer , the seller on ebay offered it for £100 but no takers (reason why yet again collection only). Not selling it was relisted but at £60 , last time I looked still not sold because of collection only again. The person woul dhave easily sold it if they had added postage to the item and coul dhave likely managed that for about £15/20.
The laziness of sellers amazes me - some buyers would pay more, even if delivery charges were a tad high, I would for instance. There has been many a bike and bike accessory I've enquired about lately, for which the seller flatly refused to add a delivery option - they're already paying high fees to ebay, and occasionally willing to drop off locally, so why not box the darn things up for a courier? Their sales foorprint could be far larger, and as you say, they could sell for a much better price. It's really quite irrational.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep, adding p&p increases market appeal to the whole country and not just locally for a pick up.
I would have bid for the burley coho that was £320 , but again pickup only some 3 or 4 hrs away. I felt the guy would have got a lot more for it had he inc p&p as it had extras included, a lot more bidder would have got in to up the price.

Their are exceptions though if one is lucks upon a local.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The laziness of sellers amazes me - some buyers would pay more, even if delivery charges were a tad high, I would for instance. There has been many a bike and bike accessory I've enquired about lately, for which the seller flatly refused to add a delivery option - they're already paying high fees to ebay, and occasionally willing to drop off locally, so why not box the darn things up for a courier? Their sales foorprint could be far larger, and as you say, they could sell for a much better price. It's really quite irrational.
It's not quite that simple Guerney.
I sell quite a lot of windsurfing kit and reaching point where I will stop offering carriage. It's become prohibitive on boards basically on price but that's not only issue. I, ve had more misplaced, lost or damaged sails over last 18 months than previous 10 years. No idea what's going on. Only last week sent 3 sails to Bangor (Wales not Ireland) and they rolled up in Newcastle?? Then came back to me rather than straight to Bangor. Then had to argue with carrier to get a credit (which I didn't get) and finally they carried them for half price. They have sender over a barrel. EBay is also trying to enforce you to use their listed carriers (always dearer).
I now list items pick up only but will despatch if buyer sorts/pays and more importantly takes liability, for carriage.
It's just about reached point its not worth either the hassle or time to sell stuff and try to get fair price through most platforms. Suspect buyers have been taking Michael during lock down.. Insisting stuff hasn't arrived or is damaged..
My advice, for what it's worth . Sell it collection only but agree to meet within set radius. But you are correct, selling collection only does devalue items.
And don't get me started on PayPal (actually Ebay payment on eBay) It's scandalous. Have a look who has money post payment. The seller doesn't not for quite a while anyway. Then it's less selling fees, final valuation fee and whatever they feel like charging. I probably end up with 60% of actual value of item. Better keeping stuff.
Seems to me carriers are far more focused on business sellers nowadays. If you sell enough to warrant an account along with volume to get decent discounts that's another matter. The part time business types and the unique item sellers, carriers could not care less about. And don't try and phone carriers anymore, even when stuff is lost. Its soul destroying and pointless.

Last edited:
  • Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's not quite that simple Guerney.
I sell quite a lot of windsurfing kit and reaching point where I will stop offering carriage. It's become prohibitive on boards basically on price but that's not only issue. I, ve had more misplaced, lost or damaged sails over last 18 months than previous 10 years. No idea what's going on. Only last week sent 3 sails to Bangor (Wales not Ireland) and they rolled up in Newcastle?? Then came back to me rather than straight to Bangor. Then had to argue with carrier to get a credit (which I didn't get) and finally they carried them for half price. They have sender over a barrel. EBay is also trying to enforce you to use their listed carriers (always dearer).
I now list items pick up only but will despatch if buyer sorts/pays and more importantly takes liability, for carriage.
It's just about reached point its not worth either the hassle or time to sell stuff and try to get fair price through most platforms. Suspect buyers have been taking Michael during lock down.. Insisting stuff hasn't arrived or is damaged..
My advice, for what it's worth . Sell it collection only but agree to meet within set radius. But you are correct, selling collection only does devalue items.
And don't get me started on PayPal (actually Ebay payment on eBay) It's scandalous. Have a look who has money post payment. The seller doesn't not for quite a while anyway. Then it's less selling fees, final valuation fee and whatever they feel like charging. I probably end up with 60% of actual value of item. Better keeping stuff.
Seems to me carriers are far more focused on business sellers nowadays. If you sell enough to warrant an account along with volume to get decent discounts that's another matter. The part time business types and the unique item sellers, carriers could not care less about. And don't try and phone carriers anymore, even when stuff is lost. Its soul destroying and pointless.
Whoah. No wonder many want a cash sale in person, after which they may simply delete the ebay listing without telling ebay there's been a sale? You wouldn't catch me selling anything on ebay ever - too many dodgy buyers and as you have alluded: Paypal is utterly bonkers... ebay and Paypal favour the buyer to such an alarming extent, that I sometimes wonder how anyone becomes a "£Million" ebay seller, of which there are many. Stripe is a lot less likely to freeze your account for no good reason, can be quite cheap to set up a website with it, and fees are lower.

Many shopping cart systems have Stripe functionality built in, or have free plugins for it. I myself have had no issues thus far selling using Paypal, but I'm mostly a buyer, never use ebay and I don't sell physical goods - I stick to the imaginary.

Reactions: Zlatan

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
But then, no-one will necessarily go to your shop if you have one of your own. You won't get the prices you get as an eBay seller anywhere else.

I am very reluctant to offer postage for eBay items. I agree, not through laziness, more through the fact that it's very easy to end up losing all your money.

The whole situation smells, really. eBay is one of a small number of playground bullies that take a bit from everyone else.

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Whoah. No wonder many want a cash sale in person, after which they may simply delete the ebay listing without telling ebay there's been a sale? You wouldn't catch me selling anything on ebay ever - too many dodgy buyers and as you have alluded: Paypal is utterly bonkers... ebay and Paypal favour the buyer to such an alarming extent, that I sometimes wonder how anyone becomes a "£Million" ebay seller, of which there are many. Stripe is a lot less likely to freeze your account for no good reason, can be quite cheap to set up a website with it, and fees are lower.

Many shopping cart systems have Stripe functionality built in, or have free plugins for it. I myself have had no issues thus far selling using Paypal, but I'm mostly a buyer, never use ebay and I don't sell physical goods - I stick to the imaginary.
A good mate of mine was a top salesman, one of those who could sell ice to Eskimos and Oil to Arabs on same deal. He used to often say anyone can sell stuff. Clever bit is making a profit. Reckon most sellers on ebay aren't showing profit.. EBay take that,and it's got much worse over years. (I, ve been on it since 2004)

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A good mate of mine was a top salesman, one of those who could sell ice to Eskimos and Oil to Arabs on same deal. He used to often say anyone can sell stuff. Clever bit is making a profit. Reckon most sellers on ebay aren't showing profit.. EBay take that,and it's got much worse over years. (I, ve been on it since 2004)
Many ebay sellers I'be bought from, use the platform to direct future sales to their own - most recently was when I last bought 4:1 self-adhesive marine heatshrink, which I ignored because he'd shortchanged me on ebay by sending me 50cm instead of 1M TWICE, but then made it right be sending me 2M, which still didn't remove the frustration of not being able to do the job I originally needed 1M for, twice. Who knows what **** he'll pull with some other payment system on his own platform - and why not? Your platform, your rules. And of course the rules of the payment processor.

You can get a low development price for your new portal on peopleperhour:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I was tempted by the egg and roll when I saw it recently, just because it looks so good, but tiny 12" wheel and 20kg max load persuaded me not to. Too much money for a pretty thing I might not use much.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I was tempted by the egg and roll when I saw it recently, just because it looks so good, but tiny 12" wheel and 20kg max load persuaded me not to. Too much money for a pretty thing I might not use much.
When I saw it some time ago , I straight away saw it as a pretty looking sales toy of little use.

Related Articles

Advertisers