Electric battery revamp

Saltscar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2021
I have a Carrera Vengence E-Bike and have had to replace the battery as 1 cell had failed. Has anyone attempted to refurb' one of these batteries & any tips or instructions. I havn't split the battery yet as it does not part with the 4 visible screws removed so I am assuming there is also a screw under the central bottom specs' sticker. Thanks in advance for any info.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
As you will see when you get the case open, it is very difficult to replace cells in an ebike battery pack due to their construction. The plastic cell holders prevent individual cells being removed without extremely careful cutting/grinding as does the nickel strip welded to each cell. It is also not a good idea to mix new and old cells, so unless you have used cells of the same type laying around, this also posses a problem. You can however carefully deconstruct the pack and use them to build smaller units to power lights etc., but you really need a battery welder to do this correctly. There are often plastic tabs along the inside edges of the battery case, which could be why you cannot open yours. Be very careful what you use to prise it open, deff. not screwdrivers, lolly sticks can work well, but anything non metellic. The best advise is really don't do it, take it to the recycling centre or gift it to someone local who liked to play with matches as a kid. You could prob. get a few quid for it on Ebay, but DON'T post it, collection only. If you don't already know, there is a high risk of fire if you mistreat/damage/punture Li-ion cells, have a look on YouTube.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How do you know one cell is bad ?