Electric bike Cost

gramorganic

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 18, 2021
Does anyone calculated the per-mile cost of owning an electric bike verses an automobile or a small motorcycle? I know the cost of recharging the battery is minimal but when factoring in the purchase cost of an e-bike, the bikes lifespan, maintenance and the cost of a battery replacement it may not be all that economical in the long run.
If anyone has any ideas they are welcome to chime in.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Price isn't everything, against a ICE vehicle pollution locally is nil.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
With all cycling paraphernalia plus cost of donor bike, BBS01b conversion kit, new wheels, new bike parts, ongoing cost of the normal bike parts (tyres, inner tubes, chains, rear cassettes etc) plus the assumed cost of new BBS01b controllers every 2000 miles (whether this is a correct assumption, remains to be seen) = about 30p per mile over 5 years, if the battery lasts. But I'd rather not look too hard into the detail.

Last edited:
Reactions: gramorganic

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
I’d not stopped to think about this before but my ebike costs more per mile than my car. I calculate my car has cost me 39.8p/mile over 11 years and 90000 miles. My ebike cost £2250 when new. I’m only a leisure cyclist so average 550 miles a year. Without taking into account battery, charging and maintenance costs just depreciation of the purchase price over 10 years is 40.9p/mile. Of course I could of bought a cheaper ebike and probably would had I stopped to consider cost/mile but nevertheless I will continue to enjoy my bike.

Reactions: Woosh and guerney

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
The way I look at it is that parts are cheaper than car / motorcycle parts to replace i.e. disk brake rotors, chains, tyres etc.
I use my bike for exercise, carrying shopping and going to the scrapyard (which gives me some of the cost back).
Does the joy of riding your ebike compensate for the cost of maintaining it, for me it's a yes.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
That's the problem with modern society, we know the cost, price and profit margin of everything, and appreciate the value of nothing. The cost per mile calculation of the ice car fails to properly consider the damage done. Ditto the aeroplane.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and Nealh

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Does anyone calculated the per-mile cost of owning an electric bike verses an automobile or a small motorcycle? I know the cost of recharging the battery is minimal but when factoring in the purchase cost of an e-bike, the bikes lifespan, maintenance and the cost of a battery replacement it may not be all that economical in the long run.
If anyone has any ideas they are welcome to chime in.
On my long rides in October and November, 900 miles in total, I spent more on meals and tea in cafes and pubs whilst recharging than the diesel for my 50mpg van would have cost! But I gained experiences and meetups and learning that are truly priceless.

My cost per mile allowing for maintenance and depreciation will be lower than many as I am on track for 4,000+ miles in the first year. So far, it has cost half a pot of chain oil plus whatever % of drivetrain life I have consumed, and two patches.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A few years ago, before serious electric bikes and when cars were less reliable (and very liable to rust) the expected life of a bicycle was maybe 25 years, and of a car not much over 10 years. Cars are now more robust; expected life 15-20 years. e-bikes sadly have much lower expected life; partly because the technology really is improving so it is less worthwhile keeping older ones running, partly because of the difficulty of getting spares for older models. Together with the fact that most of us ride (<2000 a year for us) a lot fewer miles than we drive (around 3000 a year for us, much more for many) that has really upped the cost per mile of bicycles.

However, as others have said, more difficult to establish the overall environmental cost which is really more important.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I'm a fan of Ebikes (it's my only transport) but don't forget the damage caused to the environment when creating them.
The batteries require mining for the rare earth elements they use, then processing, and shipping around the globe from their origin to refining to production to sale. The rest of the bike also has an environmental cost but it's a lot less as the componements are less "toxic".

Old cars are one of the most environmentally friendly modes of transport as the damage caused by making & disposing of them is spread over so many years, modern cars by comparison are made of complex bonded assemblies which are difficult to recycle efficiently.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cost per mile shouldn't come into it and be compared to a car. The fact one is out riding is often the because of the joy factor and cardiac exercise one is getting out of the experience, more so when the sun is out and a longer ride out becomes more pleasant. On a pleasure ride one sees more then being cossetted in a metal box.
For many short errands /journeys a bike is simply better for the environment and ones self-being.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017 and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm a fan of Ebikes (it's my only transport) but don't forget the damage caused to the environment when creating them.
The batteries require mining for the rare earth elements they use, then processing, and shipping around the globe from their origin to refining to production to sale. The rest of the bike also has an environmental cost but it's a lot less as the componements are less "toxic".

Old cars are one of the most environmentally friendly modes of transport as the damage caused by making & disposing of them is spread over so many years, modern cars by comparison are made of complex bonded assemblies which are difficult to recycle efficiently.
I saw Zero EV featured on last week's "Fifth Gear" - they supply full conversion kits for old cars (to conversion garages):

...many other episodes are available for the curious, here's episode 3:

Last edited:
  • Informative

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I share my car at the moment with my son that needs it for his work so I have no car during the week. Hence I do a lot of riding, clocking up over 10,000 mile last year. I generally do almost all my riding with hub motors (which seem to last forever)and run my batteries at 41 volts most of the time. Anyhow, my worst case scenario, in 10,000 miles would involve purchase of replacement motor kit and battery (450 euro), 2 heavy duty tyres m+ (80 euro) 2 or 3 six speed chains (12-18 euro) , brake pads (20-40 euro), rim (20 euro), replacement second hand bike frame (30-50 euro), perhaps some tubes (9 euro) and about 500 kw/hrs of electricity. (100 euro). But I am doing way better than above on some items, so I reckon with high milage and a reliable kit (and doing your own repairs), its possible to run an e-bike for perhaps 8 cent or 7p a mile.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
So my 14 1/2 year old car is getting greener and cheaper per mile each year I keep it.

Cost per mile shouldn't come into it and be compared to a car. The fact one is out riding is often the because of the joy factor and cardiac exercise one is getting out of the experience, more so when the sun is out and a longer ride out becomes more pleasant. On a pleasure ride one sees more then being cossetted in a metal box.
For many short errands /journeys a bike is simply better for the environment and ones self-being.
I found it interesting to compare car with ebike costs. The fact that my car looks so cheap is due to a number of things.

Economy of scale, we have a lot more cars than bikes.
My car is old, was bought cheaper 2nd hand and has done a lot more miles per year.

I enjoy riding the ebike. I enjoy driving the car. Both are a subjective positive for me. There are times when I prefer to take the car, and there are times I prefer the ebike. I’m very fortunate to have both, and the journeys I use the bike instead of the car is an environment win.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
For cars this is way too much of a generalisation. Buildings - different story: reuse of a basically sound shell, brought up to modern energy efficiency standards is both feasible and in most cases far lower embodied energy so preferable.

But for cars it is not that simple. Roughly 90% of the entire lifetime environmental impact of a car is in the fuel it burns. So running a big engined old car instead of a small engined modern one is not better. And running a filthy 20 year old diesel ought to be a crime these days.

The recycling point is also wrong: few product categories have received more attention than cars for standards regarding dismantleability and recycleability.

Reactions: guerney

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Assuming no new battery necessary over 5 years- about 25p per mile, including the cost of bike, conversion and any object I had to buy because I restarted cycling: clothing, equipment, non-electric bike parts and upgrades, wrist splints etc. etc. etc. it never ends!

gramorganic

Dec 18, 2021
Assuming no new battery necessary over 5 years- about 25p per mile, including the cost of bike, conversion and any object I had to buy because I restarted cycling: clothing, equipment, non-electric bike parts and upgrades, wrist splints etc. etc. etc. it never ends!
Thank you so much, Appreciate your opinion.

gramorganic

Dec 18, 2021
With all cycling paraphernalia plus cost of donor bike, BBS01b conversion kit, new wheels, new bike parts, ongoing cost of the normal bike parts (tyres, inner tubes, chains, rear cassettes etc) plus the assumed cost of new BBS01b controllers every 2000 miles (whether this is a correct assumption, remains to be seen) = about 30p per mile over 5 years, if the battery lasts. But I'd rather not look too hard into the detail.

So kind of you ! thank you so much to all. I feel so glad I've a getting so much response for my post.

• :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So kind of you ! thank you so much to all. I feel so glad I've a getting so much response for my post.
You're welcome. I keep much more detailed records, for the troublesome UK tax authorities... ;)

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: gramorganic

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
What's your likely 5 year mileage?