Electric bike kits cost effective or not

b0331e

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2011
Can somebody explain the math to me!

How I can go to the ebay site and purchase a kit from a seller in Hong Kong or China. I then have to wait anywhere from a week to a month + for the kit to arrive. Then If Iam techno savvy I can fit the kit myself for more savings or pay somenoe to fit it for me. The only downfall I can see is the guarantee i wil have with an overseas seller, if the bike motor fails, then I suppose I will have a six month wait for the faulty part to be fixed or replaced.

With rough workings out, the whole project could be OTR for just under £500.:cool:

So the parts I order are from China/hong kong the very same places where uk sellers purchase by the container load from. Apart from individual component quality I suppose you pay for what you get.
Alas £500 in these time sounds so much better than £1400 the same spec bike.

please ladies and gentlemen your thoughts.....................

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
You wont get a Daahub or eZee kit anywhere else but from the approved dealers so comparison using these kits would be difficult. An 8-Fun Kit (Sunlova) though is £430 delivered so your base (new)bike spec is going to be pretty dismal if your aiming for £500 OTR.

Widen that to £750~800 and then you can get a solid quality bike with kit fitted that would compare to the likes of a Juicybike etc.

What you wont get though is the overall level service and support from a single contact...with the cheaper kits your level of service and support is proportional to the amount you pay;)

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi b0331e,

Welcome to the forum.

One of the reasons people choose a conversion kit over a ready built electric bike, is that they can choose a non powered bike they really like, or one they own already and install a kit, or have it installed for them.

If I may draw an an analogy, it is bit like buying an 'off the peg suit' compared to one that is tailor made to the customers own specification.

Also, if you decide at some time in the future to upgrade or change the bike, you can remove the kit, return the bike to it's original specification, then you can fit the existing kit to your new bike.

There are several UK based kit suppliers, who can provide excellent support and good warranties, so you do not have to take the risk of importing yourself.

Two comments in conclusion, when it comes to electric bike conversion kits, as with most things in life, you do get what you pay for and a bargain is only a bargain if in the long term it proves cost effective.

b0331e

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2011
Thanks again NRG, I did reply to you yesterday, it seems i didn't press the sendkey.
For 750-800 quid the contenders i can find are JUICY bikes, maybe PRORIDER MOBILTY but I have a TREK mountain bike, therefore my only costs will be for the kit and fitting, hence the rough estimate of £500 OTR marker.

Mr cyclezee thanks for your info. I can only find 4 ebike kit uk based retailers - Alien, Xipi, Juicy and your goodselves, CYLEZEE and one more actually the Wisper/Daahub partnership. Looks like one of you guys will be getting a phone call.

I really have to get on the ebike bandwagon, but due to not knowing the financial future ahead, I think this factor is detering me from going full steam ahead and investing £1400 on a bike, knowing that for half the money I can get the same spec but not the same support. Maybe I am a tight arse, well I will just have to be, use to have lots of dosh and I spirited it all away, can't say I didn't enjoy myself though!

well back to work

regards

B0331e

C

Cyclezee

Hi again B0331e,

FYI, Cyclezee is offering 10% discount for orders placed during July;)

b0331e

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2011
10% discount for July sounds very good, will look at your site again lunch time. How much would the normal kit cost with the eZee LiPo Rear Flat Pack battery 37v 14Ah £495.00, rather than the 37V 10Ah version?

As for Sunlova, the kit only offers a 8 or 9AH battery, I will need minimum 350WH for my commute, which will involve alot of throttle only.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Bo331e

No one here will think you tight, you are simply going down the same road as many before you.

Buying from a company 6000 miles away is always fraught with danger.

We have an office with full time staff in Shanghai, including a graduate electronics engineer, and check every bike and kit ourselves before putting into a dedicated container that is sealed and only opened by customs in the UK or Wisper personel in our warhouse. Still we have problems! Fortunately we spend millions a year with the one factory so we have the clout to get things sorted out if and when they go wrong. We and others like us are able to offer our customers peace of mind in the fact that they know we will always sort out any problems they may have quickly and efficiently.

However this is only one part of the equation, every item in a kit or a bike from the fixings to the battery and motor can be bought very cheaply, but if you demand high quality stainless steel fixings, polycarbonate/ABS mix mouldings and high end powerful batteries and motors that will not let you down prices in China are no different to anywhere else in the world and cost a lot of money. Don't forget companies like Wisper get good discounts for buying large quantities so we are able to buy the very best components from good and trusted sources.

To conclude there is absolutely no issue with buying anything from anywhere in the world as long as the risks are understood, and yes you will be able to buy cheaper than through a bone fide manufacturer or dealer in the UK. I suggest though you bear all of the above in mind. Also it is worth remembering the 20% VAT and 6% Duty you should pay when the goods arrive in the UK.

All the best

David

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi again,

With July discount, upgrading an eZee kit to include a 14Ah battery would be £895 for payments by cheque, bank transfer and cash.

Delivery is free within the UK.

rh1968

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2010
I bought my complete kit, battery, motor in wheel, throttle, controller, brake levers and pedal sensor from BMS battery for £260 including the postage. It is of course a risk as returns would prove uneconomical, but thus far (6 months' use) it's worked like a dream, not one problem.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi B0331E

We have kits with 10 ah battery's and 15 ah battery's

All our kits are 48 volts

We are not cheap BUT when you ride one off our kits you will see WHY

you are welcome to come and try in Banbury

Frank

lee.pie

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
I bought my complete kit, battery, motor in wheel, throttle, controller, brake levers and pedal sensor from BMS battery for £260 including the postage. It is of course a risk as returns would prove uneconomical, but thus far (6 months' use) it's worked like a dream, not one problem.
What kit/battery did you get?

C

Cyclezee

If Bobbie is going to snapping hands off, please stay away from Cyclezee:eek:

b0331e

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2011
hello hello hello whats this about me snapping hands off, iam not a violent man, only when am angry!