Electric Bike number two - requirements

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Hello,

I haven't posted for few years. My Hungarian electric bike has been slowly getting old with bits falling off it. Then I became long-term ill. The first year I powered up the battery every month. The second year I kept forgetting and....yep, it died. No point getting a new battery as was getting frustrated with bike.

The reason it fell apart began with a bike repair shop that didn't realise how heavy it was and dropped it and it snowballed from there (a long time ago). So also need to be able to have the bike repaired by an expert, rather than a pillock.

Anyone know which bikes are Sit up and beg position with a motor on the crank for hills in my area. Its countryside pot-holey roads with bike paths too but it is undulating. Its only really for getting to work and shops - about 8 miles round trip - when I don't want to use the car.

I'm in the south East.

Thanks.
Penny

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Any trekking style bike - similar to your Gepida - will do the job.

You could get another one of those, particularly as you liked it and it's now available for only a little over £1,000.

Yamaha have since updated the motor and battery placement to be more like bikes with the ubiquitous Bosch motor.

The Shimano Steps motor is another you could consider.

Whyte, which is a good brand, make ladies' hybrids with Steps.

Or check the discounters such as Tredz to see if they have anything in a sale.

The Scott in the link is fully equipped, available in small, and is a good price, but it has a crossbar.

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/gepida/gepida-reptila-900-electric-bike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Any trekking style bike - similar to your Gepida - will do the job.

You could get another one of those, particularly as you liked it and it's now available for only a little over £1,000.

Yamaha have since updated the motor and battery placement to be more like bikes with the ubiquitous Bosch motor.

The Shimano Steps motor is another you could consider.

Whyte, which is a good brand, make ladies' hybrids with Steps.

Or check the discounters such as Tredz to see if they have anything in a sale.

The Scott in the link is fully equipped, available in small, and is a good price, but it has a crossbar.

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/gepida/gepida-reptila-900-electric-bike

the Gepida is obsolete though, 26V motor, very small capacity battery.
The Whyte Conniston is a very nice bike but the step through is about 8" higher than the old Gepida, that will make it virtually impossible for many to use the step through.
Raleigh Motuses are good contenders.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
the Gepida is obsolete though, 26V motor, very small capacity battery.
Penny's post and her signature tells us she 'loved' the Gepida.

Not everyone wants the latest and greatest.

Going for a different bike is a risk, because she may not get on with it.

I believe that Yamaha motor was known to be reliable, but spares might be a problem long term - if it ever needs any.

The rest of the bike bits can always be found.

The step through may not be a problem on any bike.

Penny specifies a sit up and beg position.

The bike mentioned in her signature - Reptila 1000 - has a crossbar, so it may be that's what she's used to.

Looks like the 1000 model is quite a bit more money - £1,400 - although it has a hub gear.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I couldn't find the Gepida - I know after I bought mine they brought out another Reptila with a battery on the back rack (mine is an upright one on the seat post ish area).

I also need to know where and who will repair my bike. I went to a normal bike shop, they dropped it as it was so heavy, broke a bit and that the beginning of a series of things that went wrong with it/fell off it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I couldn't find the Gepida - I know after I bought mine they brought out another Reptila with a battery on the back rack (mine is an upright one on the seat post ish area).

I also need to know where and who will repair my bike. I went to a normal bike shop, they dropped it as it was so heavy, broke a bit and that the beginning of a series of things that went wrong with it/fell off it.
E-bikes Direct in the link appear to have stock of both Gepidas - if you don't mind buying online.

There is much to be said for buying from a shop.

Is Cromer any good?

Electrifying Cycles have a good reputation and post on here occasionally.

Looks like they also sell Gepida, along with many others.

Edit: I see you are in the south east.

There must be a few dealers in striking distance.

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If not Woosh then look at Wipser in 7oaks they have there new Wayfarer models due out soon and comes in many guises, the mid drive is by Shengyi I believe.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Hi Penny,

We operate within around 2 hours of our address and stock a range of bikes.

Feel free to pop down and try some bikes out. We currently have Riese & Muller, Wisper, Tern, Bergamont and should be getting the new Gepida's soon. If there is a particular model you want from the Gepida range we would be happy to order it in to try (no obligation).

From past experience if you find a style and size of bike you like it is often best sticking to it as you know it will be comfortable. So as long as the bike is close to the ideal size it is possible to change stems, handlebars etc to adjust according to individual requirements.

Best advice have some fun by trying out different e-bikes

Feel free to call us to discuss in more detail.

Regards,
David