Electric bike vs. folder

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
I have an old Gazelle Innergy which is about half my weight and a small Tern folder which is less than a half of Gazelle's weight.
I have noticed to my surprise that it appears it takes less effort to cycle with Tern. In the sense that I can easily do 12+mph without much effort, and 15+ if I try harder, but with Gazelle this is nearly impossible, especially uphill, even with assistance. I wondering whether I am doing something wrong or this is the way it's supposed to be?
Admittedly I started to use Tern only when the weather got warmer, not sure if I would manage this during the winter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lighter bike will pedal better.
The electric bike will depend on the motor technical specs, it might be good for cruising on flat ground but not very efficient on hills.

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
The lighter bike will pedal better.
The electric bike will depend on the motor technical specs, it might be good for cruising on flat ground but not very efficient on hills.
I enjoy upright riding position that Dutch bikes offer. But the Netherlands of course is fairy flat country, so probably Gazelle isn't the best choice for hilly areas. Are there any bikes suitable for hilly terrain with nearly upright riding?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
step though frames are not as stiff and light as crossbar frames, sit up riding position is not as efficient for pedalling as a more crouched position.
Other than these two factors, I suspect that your cadence may be higher when you ride the Tern compared to the Gazelle. Higher cadence = more efficient pedalling.
Bike wise, road bikes with rigid fork, wide range of gears (8+speed), narrow, smooth and well inflated tyres will always be easier to pedal compared to Dutch style bikes with front suspension and wide tyres.

Something like my Faro is easy to ride with and without power.

For you, I would recommend the Woosh Rambla but I don't have any left at the moment. Next batch is in late June/beginning of July

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
Thank you Woosh - I have been thinking about Ramba, that's what I would have picked myself from your website. I was wondering if by any chance it might be possible to fit a chain guard?

Tern is has a step-through frame as well, and I can cycle upright. Back problems make it hard to stay in a crouched position for more than half an hour.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I was wondering if by any chance it might be possible to fit a chain guard?
do you mean a full sized chainguard like on your Tern?
I should have thought about that when I ordered the current batch!
I can always rig up something.

Reactions: mike killay

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I had one like that Tern one on my Woosh Gale.
I found it a nuisance when the chain came off so I removed it.
Just tuck your trousers into your socks like the old boys did years ago.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
There is another option that works well and prevents the chain coming into contact with feet, legs and clothing, its a plastic ring, that is held on the chain ring crank, but I have not got a clue as to what its called, or where to buy them.....
I just looked and they are actually called a Bike Chainring Protector.
Here are many to be seen:-
I hope this helps further.
Andy

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
In my 20+ years of cycling the chain came off maybe once or twice, although I tend to service bikes twice a year. I need a chain guard, because in summer I like to cycle wearing a dress or a skirt :)

I don't drive - so cycle everywhere - from work to shopping and medical appointments.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
The Tern image shows a belt, most probably the Gates Carbon which features a central guide making it very unlikely to come adrift, or oil up trousers/legs, but for safety IMO still needs some guarding.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
In my 20+ years of cycling the chain came of maybe once or twice, although I tend to service bikes twice a year. I need a chain guard, because in summer I like to cycle wearing a dress or a skirt :)
The another alternative, untried by myself, is to hold the chain guard in place with say 3 strong tiewraps. Carry something to cut them, side cutters come to mind, and pop it on the carrier, held by another, just to get you home....or carry 3 new tiewraps....
Andy

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
@Andy-Mat
the Rambla has already got a chainguard, it's just that it's not a full sized chainguard. Ladies who wear long dresses will need the top chain to be covered.
Something like this may work:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
@Andy-Mat
the Rambla has already got a chainguard, it's just that it's not a full sized chainguard. Ladies who wear long dresses will need the top chain to be covered.
Something like this may work:

I was actually addressing how it could be attached. for swift removal, not which chain guard she was using (or not!).
Andy

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Maybe she doesn't?
I don't know what you mean.
Emily has the Gazelle Orange Innergy in the picture above which has a fully enclosed chain guard. She knows how to take it off and put it back.
But it only works with a hub gear.
She also has the Tern which has a full length chain guard.
If she buys a bike with derailleur, she can have a full length chain guard but not an enclosed one.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I don't know what you mean.
Emily has the Gazelle Orange Innergy in the picture above which has a fully enclosed chain guard. She knows how to take it off and put it back.
But it only works with a hub gear.
She also has the Tern which has a full length chain guard.
If she buys a bike with derailleur, she can have a full length chain guard but not an enclosed one.
Should we not leave her decision up to her?
Offering some fixes for her to choose from, is pretty standard Pedelec...
Nothing more, nothing less....
But you are the first person I believe to mention the posibility of her using a derailleur....

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Should we not leave her decision up to her?
she was commenting on the Woosh Rambla (she has only passing interest and I don't have any left right now, but still a constructive comment) that it does not have a full length chainguard. If I have had that comment a couple of weeks earlier, I could have added a couple of anchor points to the frame of the Rambla (that I am making at the moment) for a full length chainguard.

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
Gosh! I've started this discussion in order to try to understand what's happening as my expectation was that electric bike should make it easier to get around when there are hills up and down all the way. Currently I am thinking of using the Gazelle during winter months and bad weather, especially when the wind is so strong it feels like a hard work to stay on the road.

However, it might be worth investing in an electric bike which would be more suitable for local terrain and hopefully lighter than 28kg. I am having problems carrying the current one up and down the stairs, not mentioning Cross Country trains where one has to hang the bike up by the front wheel!

So far I have realized that (1) I am looking for a hub gear rather than derailleur, although I understand it might be possible to replace one by another, depending on the model, but this would be a custom build (2) I will probably have to compromise on step-through frame :p

Reactions: Andy-Mat