Electric Bike World - Mountain Sport

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
Anyone dealt with these guys or know about them?

I like this model, more than anything else I have looked at so far. Bit pricey for me although ex-demos come up sometimes, which I actually phoned up for one a couple of weeks ago but was sold minutes before my call.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
View attachment 34555

I am moving away from hybrids / mountain bikes, I find the low position uncomfortable . I am interested in a more upright position, like cruisers, but not dutch style. It has to be a cool looking upright. I know the one I am asking about isn't as upright as some, which actually is the only thing that bothers me about it so far. I was hoping someone would comment on the company and model.

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Just my own opinion but it looks cheap and nasty to me with no name components and vague specifications. I think you could do a better job with a kit as you've suggested in another post.
All my bikes are mountain bikes, they have been easy to tweak to give a more upright stance which in later life I now prefer.

Dave.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Anyone dealt with these guys or know about them?

I like this model, more than anything else I have looked at so far. Bit pricey for me although ex-demos come up sometimes, which I actually phoned up for one a couple of weeks ago but was sold minutes before my call.

One oddity on that model is how low the claimed range is. With a battery that size I would expect 'up to' figures to be well over 100 miles; which could tie in with their 'around 50/60 miles when ridden at maximum speed'. Maybe they are just being extra careful to avoid stupidly overhyped advertising?

Compare with Woosh Kreiger https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger at £1149 with a battery nearly as big.

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
Just my own opinion but it looks cheap and nasty to me with no name components and vague specifications. I think you could do a better job with a kit as you've suggested in another post.
All my bikes are mountain bikes, they have been easy to tweak to give a more upright stance which in later life I now prefer.

Dave.
Thanks for your opinion Dave, Just wondering how do you tweak mountain bike handlebars?

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
One oddity on that model is how low the claimed range is. With a battery that size I would expect 'up to' figures to be well over 100 miles; which could tie in with their 'around 50/60 miles when ridden at maximum speed'. Maybe they are just being extra careful to avoid stupidly overhyped advertising?

Compare with Woosh Kreiger https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger at £1149 with a battery nearly as big.
Does it not depend what the maximum speed is of the model? I know they have an unrestricted switch for off-road on old stock and will fit it to new stock if asked. I dunno what to think.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thanks for your opinion Dave, Just wondering how do you tweak mountain bike handlebars?
Many bikes have adjustable stems, which is the simplest tweak, but for height only. Failing that you can fit extenders (on some bikes), or replace the handlebars with some form of riser bar.

A lot of riser bars also have a sweep back which might give less control for serious downhill riding, but can be more comfortable for a relaxed ride. Very old fashioned bikes often had a sweep back of almost 90 degrees (which I find as uncomfortable as overstraight bars). What is most comfortable will vary from person to person and what sort of ride.

For example I just fitted these to our tandem

Much more comfortable height and hand position; I would have preferred a fraction less sweep back angle.

• Agree
Reactions: Deadeye and D C

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
Many bikes have adjustable stems, which is the simplest tweak, but for height only. Failing that you can fit extenders (on some bikes), or replace the handlebars with some form of riser bar.

A lot of riser bars also have a sweep back which might give less control for serious downhill riding, but can be more comfortable for a relaxed ride. Very old fashioned bikes often had a sweep back of almost 90 degrees (which I find as uncomfortable as overstraight bars). What is most comfortable will vary from person to person and what sort of ride.

For example I just fitted these to our tandem

Much more comfortable height and hand position; I would have preferred a fraction less sweep back angle.
Thanks for all the information. I used to like cow horn bikes from the 1970's.

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
I BOUGHT A BIKE! New £545 (post included) . Sorry but I didn't ask any advice for this, but I acted quick as it was the last one. I guess I will get flack now. It's a low spec front wheel hub. In my defense it was half price, My commute to work is only slightly up hill. I can relax a bit when I lock it up and leave it all day at work, as it's not that expensive or flash, an e-bike was stolen before, it doesn't even look like an e-bike. I can go buy a better one or build my own next time. If it last s me couple of years it will have done a job. Maybe I can put my own kit on the rear hub one day?

I doubt it would be worth £1100 rrp, but £550 new, not bad.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my back wheel costs more than that :eek:

Reactions: Deadeye

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I BOUGHT A BIKE! New £545 (post included) . Sorry but I didn't ask any advice for this, but I acted quick as it was the last one. I guess I will get flack now. It's a low spec front wheel hub. In my defense it was half price, My commute to work is only slightly up hill. I can relax a bit when I lock it up and leave it all day at work, as it's not that expensive or flash, an e-bike was stolen before, it doesn't even look like an e-bike. I can go buy a better one or build my own next time. If it last s me couple of years it will have done a job. Maybe I can put my own kit on the rear hub one day?

I like it's simplicity and the retro look, it might well be all that you need. As you say, never worth the original price, but at the price you paid, it compares well against the cheap entry level Halfords stuff or the cheap chinese stuff on Ebay, plus , as you say, it doesn't scream NICK ME!
Enjoy

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Go grandad!

Actually, I was expecting, and have seen, much worse.

Decent buy for the money.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it is a nice bike with a balanced list of features such as Nexus 3 hub gear, steel fork, nice crankset, reasonable battery capacity, and an attractive price.
However, production has been stopped since 2017, replacement parts outside the guarantee may become an important issue.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Enjoy. I hope it serves you well.

Our non electric tandem now electrified by Woosh kit is a Viking. Certainly not the most sophisticated on the market but decent quality and is still serving us well after 7 1/2 years. A few changes such as the handlebars I mentioned above, a new front wheel as part of the electrification, and a new back one because the old one got to the stage of too many problems. I hope your new Viking is as successful.

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
I like it's simplicity and the retro look, it might well be all that you need. As you say, never worth the original price, but at the price you paid, it compares well against the cheap entry level Halfords stuff or the cheap chinese stuff on Ebay, plus , as you say, it doesn't scream NICK ME!
Enjoy
Enjoy. I hope it serves you well.

Our non electric tandem now electrified by Woosh kit is a Viking. Certainly not the most sophisticated on the market but decent quality and is still serving us well after 7 1/2 years. A few changes such as the handlebars I mentioned above, a new front wheel as part of the electrification, and a new back one because the old one got to the stage of too many problems. I hope your new Viking is as successful.
I owned a Viking mountain bike a few years ago, not the best, but they're okay. They used to be better.

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
it is a nice bike with a balanced list of features such as Nexus 3 hub gear, steel fork, nice crankset, reasonable battery capacity, and an attractive price.
However, production has been stopped since 2017, replacement parts outside the guarantee may become an important issue.
Very nice to hear that thanks. Feeling quite good about it now, looking forward to riding it now. Arrgh the last bit no so good.

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020

Just in case someone is still looking the above link is dead, same bike and company on ebay, but £50 more, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viking-Freedom-Gents-3sp-36V-250W-Electric-Bike-700c-Wheel-RRP-1099-/143526502723?var=

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks, I thought it looked okay actually, I must be getting old :).
Quite stylish in a sort of retro, dare I say hipster, way.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty.

The bike has basic ebike technology which has the benefit of being reliable and well-proven.

Ebikes are finally gaining a little bit of traction in the market, which means there are now more shops with the expertise to fix basic them.

For example, it's now routine for my local bike shop to have a couple of ebikes in for repairs, do their knowledge is improving all the time.