Electric Bikes,my learning curve.

petitfilou

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 6, 2013
Stafford
I have joined the community of power assisted cycling.What a pleasure my short
journey was on Tuesday.It rained but this did`nt spoil the occasion.
The bike was a bosch powered BS10 Kalkhoff from 50cycles. This is quite a performer. My
unpowered companions were good about my defection from "proper cycling " and had a go too for a taster.
An insurance policy was set up with Velosure over the net prior to collection from Loughborough and an approved lock selected in accordance with the requirements of the policy. Job done !

No so fast ,excuse the pun .The insurance limited the top speed under motor power to 15 mph ,oops The bike achieves 28mph .
The plot thickens .
I spoke to another insurer ,same answer 15 mph max .Where too now ,spoke to 50 cycles who suggested that whilst my concerns were valid ,the legislation was a "Grey area ".
track user As a 70 year old road cycle track person ,you will not find me on Cannock chase unless in walking boots. I have no wish to be forced off the road by using a non compliant ,no ,illegal method of using the public roads .

To make me legit I must register the bike as a moped ,wear a motor cycle helmet and have the appropriate licence catagory.Oh yes , and the number plates appropriate to
the vehicle.
I have today exchanged the Endeavor for another super Kalkhoff ,the Ergo Harmony Impulse on a return visit to 50 cycles .Same price ,back to Cycling Heaven after a few days of Purgatory .
.Excuse the Catholic terminology.Happy days.
Thanks for reading.
ps I had read some other helpful contributions on the site,many thanks

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Didn't 50cycles explain to you that the bike wasn't legit for road use before you bought it? When I spoke with them at the NEC they assured me that they ALWAYS fully explain this to their customers before the sale.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
petitfilou, are you French?
if you are, you could have registered it and got it insured in France.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Wouldn't help if he lives here though:-

7. Temporary imports

You can usually use a vehicle displaying non-UK number plates, and not have to tax or register it in the UK, if:
you’re visiting the UK and don’t plan to live here
you only use the vehicle up to 6 months in a 12-month period (1 single visit, or several shorter visits adding up to a 6-month period)
the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country

If you become a resident in the UK, you must tax and register your vehicle in the UK straight away.
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

petitfilou

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 6, 2013
Stafford
No explanation was offered at any time or restriction to use .Sales people are not known for limiting an opportunity.Morgan cars were the exception as remarked by Sir John Harvey Jones many moons ago.
When was the last time we saw a biker in a motorcycle helmet !

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
As I understand the current situation, there's no "Grey Area" regarding use of an "S" pedelec in the UK -

You can't use one; on road, trail, cyclepath etc. And you can't register one as there's no apropriate vehicle type for them.

50 Cycles have assured us many times that this is Always made crystal clear to prospective customers. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the crazy world of Arthur Brown... Woops - wrong asylum!

Hope you enjoy the new bike.

Last edited: