Electric Cadex for sale Scotland

ross.kettles

Just Joined
Nov 11, 2011
Hello! I'm selling my custom electric giant cadex. I thought I'd advertise here before ebay.

The Bike:
I fitted an electric hub motor to my commuter bike. The bike was made up of some old bits from my mountain bike, and new drive chain. The frame is quite large, suiting anyone over 5 ft 8". The frame is carbon fibre, very strong and light. The brakes are hydraulic with front disc and rear rim brake.
Summary of bike:
-Frame Giant Cadex Carbon fibre
-Wheels Mavic front, electric hub rear.
-Suspension Manitou Black 120mm Adjustable compression/rebound.
-Brakes Hope mono mini 2 165mm floating disc with braided hose, rear magura hs33.
-Chainset Sturmey archer.
-Seat Brooks B17 (comfy!)

The electric kit:
I bought a kit from emissions-free.com
in February 2011. It is a Mac500w 48v 10Ahr kit. It has roughly covered 1500miles and should be good for another 4 years of use. The kit uses a thumb throttle, and will comfortably maintain 27 mph. The range is approx 20 miles at 20 mph.
Summary:
-Motor Mac500w geared motor
-Battery A123 10Ahr 48v 20C
-Controller 30A
-Charger Lithium (2 hours for full charge)

A brief description for those that are new to all this. The electric kit is pretty much the best on the market in terms of value for money/performance. The motor is geared, what this means is that there is very minimal drag when free wheeling. This has the downside of missing out on the re-generative braking. But it means that when the battery's ran out you can peddle home without the drag effect. The battery is a cellular lithium battery. The key value here is the C rating. Most kits will be around a '2C', meaning the most current they can delivery is 2 times the Ahr rating. This results in slow acceleration and poor hill performance. The A123 has no memory effect and a 20C rating, as such this bike loves hills, and you have to be gentle when starting it.

I should probably mention that this should not be used on the road. My current commute is about 90% off road, as such I went for this setup. This will suit someone who can make use of cycle paths, estate roads etc.

A brief description of the bike for those who don't know much about bikes. This is a very high spec'd bike. Key components to look for when buying your electric bike are the brakes and suspension. The suspension forks here are mid to high end mountain bike forks, with adjustable travel, rebound and compression. These improve the stability of the bike at high speed, and help increase your stopping power through progressive loading of the front wheel. The front brake is a Hope mono mini 2. This is a 2 finger front brake with very good stopping power. The frame is carbon fibre. The drop outs are some form of metal. I've been running without torque arms without any issues, this is a very over-engineered frame.

I'm looking for £1200 ono, and will contemplate selling just the electric kit for £650 ono.

I'll be putting this on ebay in the next few weeks.

Any questions fire away, I'll try to answer them. I've probably forgotten to include some vital information!

Best Regards
Ross