Electric folding bike

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Hi everyone, i need some help please.

Am looking to do a 36 mile commute (18 miles each way) once or twice a week (some towpath). Ideally I'd like a folding bike to give me the option to store the bike at work where I'd have to carry it down some stairs. I've done the journey a number of times on my Brompton.

I'm also looking to use the ebike at weekends for my hobby of wildlife photography, which I do with my dad. Where I can put the bike in a car and go for a drive somewhere and have some luggage options to carry a big lens, and food for the day. My dad is up for a knee operation and I want to sell him the benefits of an ebike. Hopefully if he can see how convenient it is it'll give him an option to stay more mobile during his recovery.

I'm six foot two and wrong side of 100kg.

I have no preference between crank drive or hub. Am not convinced I need front suspension if am on decent tyres.

I haven't found any off the shelf folding bikes I like the look of.
Pictures of the Woosh Zephyr B don't do it for me.

Tern eLink looks good but I'm thinking a bigger wheeled machine might be more enjoyable.

Am thinking about converting bigger wheel folders:

Montague Allston
Tern Eclipse
Airnimal Joey

Are there any other options I should be considering?

Thanks in advance

James

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
An obvious option would be to convert your Brompton.

The Nano kit is very neat, but expensive for what it is.

A 36 mile round trip is at the upper end of the range for a 10/11ah battery, but should be OK if the route is fairly flat and you don't need to use full assistance.

http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/?gclid=CMKj6uT8680CFdQaGwodoIsGNA

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Our Kudos Secret...the latest model just in,now fitted with a 10.4 Ah battery,full details on our website,now on Secret Mk4
I am 100 kgs and over 6 ft, I ride my Secret Mk1 over mountains.
Weighs 18 kgs,about the max you would want to carry up stairs.
KudosDave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i go up k2 all the time on mine even in the winter up and down in a hour ;)

• :D
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
I ended up converting my Tern D8 with a BBS01, with the big apple pluses no need for suspension. There is a real trade off with folding electric bikes in terms of quality and price, though I was very tempted by Kudos Secret.

John

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The next issue of Watt Bike,part of Twist and Go magazine,has a comparison test between the new Kudos K16 and the Kudos Secret,they both now have a 10.4Ah battery,but the specs/weight is intended to offer different advantages/disadvantages.
Whatever bike you ultimately choose the article points out what to look for in a small wheeled folder,which may affect your choice.
KudosDave

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
The Zephyr B is a good choice for your height and weight.
Woosh Big Bear and Zephyr B aren't pushing my buttons. I have been to Southend to test ride the Big Bear a while ago but as much as I really like Woosh I didn't gel with the bike. If I get some time I'll go test ride the Zephyr B and see if I feel any different.

Leeb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2016
Horncastle Lincolnshire
HI Guys, the test of the kudos folding bikes will appear in the issue of wattbike out in october, we have just finished the current issue which is due out 17th August.

• Informative
Reactions: Croxden

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
For a larger wheeled folder the Byocycles Chameleon XL is in my opinion a great buy!

£899.95 buys you a 10ah model (currently with a free upgrade to 13ah whilst stocks last for pedelecs members only!)

Pic: