Electric Lights - connected to VLCD 5 ontroller or direct to battery

Bad Machine

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2019
Would that be the latest iPhone that costs more than £800, but less than the one that came before it ? :rolleyes:

Reactions: PeterPi

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Tell me about it. I'm still smarting at the cost of my new Galaxy Note 10+...ouch !

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
:), out of interest, how much current does a standard Samsung charger provide? The standard Apple iPhone one provides up to 1A and the phone does draw close to that when the screen is active and the battery is charging. I've heard that this gives problems when iPhones are connected to some ebike USB power sources that can't provide that current.
They used to be 1A, now they're 2A.

USB sockets have a current rating. It's different for each type, but that's not the only factor to determine which lights you can use. The USB sockets in ebikes are basically a dc/dc step down converter. It's the spec of the components that determine the maximum current. They're meant to power your GPS or charge your phone at around 1A. You can't use them as a 100w 5v power supply.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
My Samsung Note 10 plus charger is 3a same as the new iPhone charger, they seem to be getting bigger and bigger.
Phone batteries are increasing in size to cope with the extra processing power of the CPU, plus of course wireless chargers are also getting more powerful. It won't be too long before 5a units start appearing on the market.

glerwill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 19, 2013
N.B. Before you head down the USB powered route......check your battery's USB output actually works. Why ? Well, some of the Hailong-type (HL) battery pack have a USB port, but no internal electronic circuitry between the port and the battery output.

If you have the VLCD5, and a splitter on the speed sensor connector, you can use the VLCD5 button to turn on/off a 6v output.

The following are low-cost, high-quality Ebike lights that work directly from this supply.

Axa LED Headlight " Blueline 30 E-Bike " 6 Volt Dc

Busch + Müller View E-Bike 5V - 15V DC Rack Mounted

Busch + Müller 2C E Rack Mounted 5V - 15V DC Rear E-Bike Light
I eventually went for 2 x 2ce for back of trailer box, 1 x View E-Bike 5V - 15V DC Rack Mounted for back of trike, 1 x Avy E-Bike 6V - 42V DC 40 Lux Head Light for front of trike all from probikebitz

Thank you for your help

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
https://torquetech.co.uk/collections/dc-dc-converters
I have just done a 12 dc lighting system for my trike build, used a dc to dc regulator rated at 20amps this will run several other devices too. check out the link stocks 5v usb as well
ps he is a member on this forum
Lots of choice there. This one looks good, but I think I may have the bits to make a small switch mode PSU, and if so it'll be another diversion during the lockdown.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Would that be the latest iPhone that costs more than £800, but less than the one that came before it ? :rolleyes:
Well what do you expect to pay for a must have fashion item? It's got an Apple on it mind.

This is just one of the many videos which exposes Apples utter contempt for it's loyal fans.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Normal cycle LEDs are so bright and the batteries last so long it's not really worth the hastle of wiring to the main battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Normal cycle LEDs are so bright and the batteries last so long it's not really worth the hastle of wiring to the main battery.
Depends on the bikes usage, my commute /errand bike has fixed lights running off the battery, I never have to worry about charging or forgetting to have lights.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Lots of choice there. This one looks good, but I think I may have the bits to make a small switch mode PSU, and if so it'll be another diversion during the lockdown.
On second thought, is it worth the trouble? I think not.