electric moped fault

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i cant even get a batt posted to me even for retail price of £633 in the uk let alone post that bomb back to china pmsl.

my batt i bought was in taunton and had to be put in a van and taken to Hereford fkn van went past where i live anyway fkn crazy lol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's hard lesson to learn buying these super cheap unbranded celled packs with 78 cells in side, even more so that they are 21700 cells which means under £2 per cell. You get what you pay for which in your case was about 9 months usage and most of that was the bike being broken.
Others on here have also bought them so whether we see feed back on their use we will see.
China cells aren't all duffers but any battery should have at least some recognisable brand name even from good china factories.

SInowatt, eve, lishen, bak, dlg are known good china producers.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cheap batteries on legal pedeles draw high continuous amps less often, whereas a moped draws high continuous amps with exclusive throttle use? Therefore a year or so lifespan of cheap Chinese battery on a legal pedelec, may be an acceptable trade-off for some?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i cant even get a batt posted to me even for retail price of £633 in the uk let alone post that bomb back to china pmsl.

my batt i bought was in taunton and had to be put in a van and taken to Hereford fkn van went past where i live anyway fkn crazy lol

That's about the price of the entire classic bike @Nealh was thinking of buying... which I hope he's bought!

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The BMS has failed draining two parallel groups down to 0v or very low voltage, so 12 cells have been killed. At this point not knowing how predictable the other cells or BMS will react it is best practice to place the battery somewhere where it can do no harm to the household occupants.
Cells can self short and cause fires, you have without knowing what the original issue was tried a few times to commence and charge the battery. SW & myself both sussed out the issue from the first time you mentioned the charge & voltage issue not changing, at this point it is wise to isolate the battery safe in case of shorting of cells.
Simply put the battery was and is untrustworthy and your life and well being I assume is more important then keeping a very dodgy battery indoors.

Cutting wires simply removes the series connection and prevents the whole pack remaing live as one unit, it was toast as it was and there is no way any one can post such a battery in that state so the best option was to make the battery as safe as poss.

That's fare enough Just in case they ask, But like I said before, If by luck they do replace the dud battery very much doubt it. I can at least have it working for a buyer, and if they don't replace and just give refund or partial, or what ever. I can then sell moped. its not hurting me ATM in the shed, so may as well see what there reply will be. it would be better also to be sold as repair, if a buyer had a battery to bring along as moped runs ok. But it would need to have deans plug on the discharge cable and jack plug on charger lead, as I still have the 48V charger here too.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's fare enough Just in case they ask, But like I said before, If by luck they do replace the dud battery very much doubt it. I can at least have it working for a buyer, and if they don't replace and just give refund or partial, or what ever. I can then sell moped. its not hurting me ATM in the shed, so may as well see what there reply will be. it would be better also to be sold as repair, if a buyer had a battery to bring along as moped runs ok. But it would have to have kettle type plug on discharge and jack plug on charger lead
Threatening them with a lawsuit for endangering your life could escalate the matter higher up to a manager - it's what I do when I don't get a refund, even if a lawsuit isn't possible. Otherwise one is stuck being thrown from one lowly rep to another, having to tell your story over and over again with similar results each time. Mentioning that you're "Angry" and "Enraged" while doing so helps, in my experience.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's about the price of the entire classic bike @Nealh was thinking of buying... which I hope he's bought!
No I didn't buy it, spent the a good part of the late am & early pm looking after my bees. It found a home pretty quickly as you and I knew it would.
The only issue I have with it is the ability to attach a trailer as well to be proper articualted, just imagine a 2.4m bike and a 1.5 m or longer trailer.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
No I didn't buy it, spent the a good part of the late am & early pm looking after my bees. It found a home pretty quickly as you and I knew it would.
The only issue I have with it is the ability to attach a trailer as well to be proper articualted, just imagine a 2.4m bike and a 1.5 m or longer trailer.
I saw it had sold, was hoping to see photos of you selling honey ice cream from it's large lockable aluminium box!

That seller could have easily sold it for a couple £Hundred more, if only he had:

1. Included it's name in the title. Because searching for it explicitly didn't bring it up as a top search result, I had to go digging; searching with a generic term.

2. If delivery options were provided - a perennial error when selling bikes and trailers, and an annoying one.

Sure would have been a loooong bike, and you would have been lifting the trailer to get around bends on many a narrow road...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think it went cheaply, it was a 1k deal imv with it being an original Mike Burrows built machine.
The issue going forward is sturmey one sided 90mm braked hubs , they are scarce now and out of production. One reason why MB stopped them and likely the reason why the Taiwanese company no longer produce the bikes.
I was put off by having to travel to S .London burbs by car to see it, the price wasn't an isssue.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Threatening them with a lawsuit for endangering your life could escalate the matter higher up to a manager - it's what I do when I don't get a refund, even if a lawsuit isn't possible. Otherwise one is stuck being thrown from one lowly rep to another, having to tell your story over and over again with similar results each time. Mentioning that you're "Angry" and "Enraged" while doing so helps, in my experience.

That wont do a bit of good, also I am not speaking to agents on a phone. its all done in a chat screen, as Like I said all the agents don't seem to know much. you get 1 saying 1 thing, and saying something else. I have uploaded images and a short video to them 2 times now. and when you get another agent again next time. they don't seem to have a clue. what's been logged, and think you have just bought the battery, or want help on an item. I have now been told I should get a e-mail about 24th.
as for the seller, well say no more, I sent him a message on 13th not had a reply back at all. I bet if I sent a message saying I want to buy 10 batteries what discount will I get. I bet he will reply then.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
That wont do a bit of good, also I am not speaking to agents on a phone. its all done in a chat screen, as Like I said all the agents don't seem to know much. you get 1 saying 1 thing, and saying something else. I have uploaded images and a short video to them 2 times now. and when you get another agent again next time. they don't seem to have a clue. what's been logged, and think you have just bought the battery, or want help on an item. I have now been told I should get a e-mail about 24th.
as for the seller, well say no more, I sent him a message on 13th not had a reply back at all. I bet if I sent a message saying I want to buy 10 batteries what discount will I get. I bet he will reply then.
@billyboya

I have a feeling that you’re not going to get anywhere with the seller.

I think your time has come to stop wasting your time and energy with this. I’m afraid to say that you will only get further frustrated. Just cut your losses, sell on eBay as a non-runner and for parts only.

Someone will buy it, then you can move on and enjoy your time with.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
@billyboya

I have a feeling that you’re not going to get anywhere with the seller.

I think your time has come to stop wasting your time and energy with this. I’m afraid to say that you will only get further frustrated. Just cut your losses, sell on eBay as a non-runner and for parts only.

Someone will buy it, then you can move on and enjoy your time with.
Yes it’s just a feeling, I go a bit further than feelings. All the sellers on AliExpress. Have to obey the Rules etc or they don’t get paid. As AliExpress hold your money you pay for goods until you have received item and are happy. then release money to the seller.

But it’s AliExpress who are dealing with my case, and they said they have e- mailed. The seller he has to reply to them. Or he will not be allowed to sell on the site again

I’m not in a hurry to sell the moped. See what happens then will sell. It’s not hurting me in my shed once it’s all sorted either way then will sell it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think it went cheaply, it was a 1k deal imv with it being an original Mike Burrows built machine.
The issue going forward is sturmey one sided 90mm braked hubs , they are scarce now and out of production. One reason why MB stopped them and likely the reason why the Taiwanese company no longer produce the bikes.
I was put off by having to travel to S .London burbs by car to see it, the price wasn't an isssue.
It was a bargain for sure! Would it have been possible or sensible idea, to install a geared rear hub drive kit?

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Well update regarding my faulty Battery the latest now is, an e-mail has been sent to the seller Via AliExpress agent, as I told them nothing seems to be getting sorted, I threatened them with court proceedings. I have uploaded a video of the bad battery plus images. which have also been added to a e-mail to the seller. I also sent them text what Nealh said about how dangerous the battery was IE the BMS and 2 bad cells. I have requested a replacement battery, as this one only lasted 8 months, as was delivered on 5.11.2021. I prefer a new battery if possible but not relying on one. as then at least Moped will sell for more with a working battery.