Electric Mountain Bike

martinr

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Loch Rannoch
If you are going to spend £2k then look at the Kalkhoffs. I tried the KTM range and loved it, then afterwards I got to go on some Kalkhoffs and there's no comparison. Get a Pro Connect, it's absolutely superb and went up my 1 in 4 hill almost with no effort. The KTM also went up the same hill but took much more effort. The Impulse 2 motor with 17Ah 612Wh crank drive machines - really powerful and absolutely silent. I have now tried almost every bike available in UK at this price point now and have just bought a Pro Connect after many hours of test rides around hilly Bristol.
Is that a mountain bike?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
No. Focus is the Derby Cycle premium MB. Kalkhoff is their premium road range. 50 Cycles website.

Reactions: martinr

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Let us
I'm going to see this bike tomorrow.
Let us know what you think. The Focus bikes are serious off-road machines but cost £3k-£5k depending on the set-up. There were some hard tail Focus bikes for around £2k but I think these are all sold out.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Let us

Let us know what you think. The Focus bikes are serious off-road machines but cost £3k-£5k depending on the set-up. There were some hard tail Focus bikes for around £2k but I think these are all sold out.
I've updated our off-road page with the current and coming line-up
http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/offroad.html

Focus Jarifas are the hardtails, Focus Thron are the full suspension models. We import the Impulse 2.0 centre drive ones rather than the Xion variants. I've been putting a lot of miles under the tyres on a 250W Focus Thron premium up on the South Downs recently. It's completely changed what I think about what electric bikes can do.

Here it is at Chanctonbury Ring on Saturday - I doubt anyone (especially anyone over 40) has completed the climb from Washington car park faster than I did that afternoon, it was ludicrously powerful.

The Shoreham-by-Sea airshow was on so the final stretch of the ride was accompanied by a B25, Dakota, Spitfire, Lancaster, a Vulcan bomber and a Eurofighter Typhoon. Brilliant.

The photo demonstrates the point of tucking the motor up inside the frame triangle, out of harm and dirt's way.

I even had time to do a bit of geocaching while I was up there. There's a whole new hobby, e-geocaching.

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Looks like he didn't dodge quick enough
:rolleyes:
There were only a few puddles early on and they were taking up the best line, what could I do?! I turned into a pig farm later on by mistake, but was much more careful going through that bit.

Very few cyclists when I was up there, late Saturday afternoon. Nor many walkers. Strange really, it was perfectly acceptable weather.

Whereabouts is that bridge you found? Great photos.

C

Cyclezee

Focus Jarifas are the hardtails, Focus Thron are the full suspension models. We import the Impulse 2.0 centre drive ones rather than the Xion variants. I've been putting a lot of miles under the tyres on a 250W Focus Thron premium up on the South Downs recently. It's completely changed what I think about what electric bikes can do.

Here it is at Chanctonbury Ring on Saturday - I doubt anyone (especially anyone over 40) has completed the climb from Washington car park faster than I did that afternoon, it was ludicrously powerful.

The Shoreham-by-Sea airshow was on so the final stretch of the ride was accompanied by a B25, Dakota, Spitfire, Lancaster, a Vulcan bomber and a Eurofighter Typhoon. Brilliant.

The photo demonstrates the point of tucking the motor up inside the frame triangle, out of harm and dirt's way.

I even had time to do a bit of geocaching while I was up there. There's a whole new hobby, e-geocaching.
Very much off thread, but whilst doing something much more mundane on Sunday afternoon, painting the garden shed, I was alerted by the magnificent sound of Rolls Royce Merlin engines as a Lancaster made a spectacular low level banking turn over our garden, even Mrs Cyclezee said WOW.

I guess it was either en route for a fly past at the Moto GP at near by Silverstone or returning from a raid on the Kalkhoff factory at Cloppenburg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JohnCade

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I guess it was either en route for a fly past at the Moto GP at neraby Silverstone or returning from a raid on the Kalkhoff factory at Cloppenburg.
:D

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Why spend £3k when you can buy a bike to do that job at £1k,I borrowed a Kudos Tornado from our Greek dealer today and powered up the local mountain at 10 mph,hammered round the hairpins and got to the top 800 mtrs,and not out of breath and loads of battery to spare.
If you have the money the Kalhoffs and KTM's are beautifully engineered bikes but if you want to get up hills it's not necessary to spend so much money,the BPM motored Chinese bikes should not be ignored.
KudosDave

martinr

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Loch Rannoch

Nice bikes,

martinr

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Loch Rannoch
Why spend £3k when you can buy a bike to do that job at £1k,I borrowed a Kudos Tornado from our Greek dealer today and powered up the local mountain at 10 mph,hammered round the hairpins and got to the top 800 mtrs,and not out of breath and loads of battery to spare.
If you have the money the Kalhoffs and KTM's are beautifully engineered bikes but if you want to get up hills it's not necessary to spend so much money,the BPM motored Chinese bikes should not be ignored.
KudosDave
Cheers

I'm just having a look at them on your website.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Can the Kudos Typhoon throttle take you right up to the max speed?
No, the throttle only goes at walking speed. If you want to wizz around at top speed though, simply turning the pedals without any pressure on them will take you to top speed.

D

Deleted member 4366

Two buttons on the display to get into the settings.

I thought you'd come back to this bike because it's perfect for what you want. It's a mighty fine bike. I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't believe in it. South Yorkshire Electric Bike Centre are the importers. They have plenty of spares and offer excellent support. None of this crap with complicated warranty from the European brands, which causes lengthy periods of your bike off the road while they argue whether you're covered. Unlike them, you can go as fast as you like on the Oxygen and you're still covered - not that you'd need the cover.