Electric Mountain Bikes: No one will buy one?!..

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Like comparing apples and oranges. ..

It wouldn't be so bad if you just stuck to the real reason for disliking a rival retailer. Instead of going round the houses trying to justify your stance, when all you need to say is that you dislike them because they could lead to a loss of sales for your business.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I don’t think his motives are completely mercenary. I would say he is thinking of the greater good of pedelecs generally, as well as looking out for the interests of his employer and the industry. I don’t think you can say that the OP is interested in the longer term future of EAPCs. Let alone the speed freaks who want to have their cakes and eat them.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
There is a world out there where people get on with things and don't get quite so hung up on controlling others.
I understand your desire to have freedom, but with certain things you have to ask,"What if everybody did this?" This is usually a reasonable estimate as to whether your behaviour is acceptable and has regard for your fellow citizens.

What if everyone rode un-insured 2.5 KW motor vehicles? It might be nice for you, at present, whilst there are only a few around. You can cheat the tax man and dodge the insurance companies. But what if everyone did the same? Who would compensate the injured when accidents occur? What would it be like to have everyone and anyone, the reckless and the criminal element being propelled by 2.5 KW motors wherever they like without any form of traceability, competence testing or means to compensate their victims? This is why we control motor vehicles and we are currently lucky to have the freedoms that EAPC give us.

I know you might say that my bike only goes 17 MPH, but where do we draw the line? 18 MPH? But what about those who want to travel at 19 MPH?

I don't know where you originate from, but here in the UK we have a reasonably organised society. It's not perfect and some aspects seem a bit strange, but on the whole I think the laws are made with the best of intentions. That is to protect us from the reckless whilst retaining an acceptable amount of freedom. I think this is what we currently have with the EAPC legislation so let's not screw it up for everyone else. It's not about being anal or controlling, it's about being a responsible and conscientious person.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
'Criminal and proud to be one' - That seems to be the message you are putting across.

Well, that's fine so long as you never complain about other forms of crime which may, god forbid, impact upon you or yours. We could all pick some laws we would like to break but most of us don't.

If you should ever grow into maturity, you'll discover that has a lot to do with civility, civilisation and civic responsibility.

Tom
Are there levels or grades of ileagalness? I only mention this because I recently read that the police in some areas are downgrading burglaries and thefts of less than £500 so that they don't need to attend, or if attending issue a crime number and don't investigate.
That being the case in a grading of lets say 1 to 5 with 1 being murder or worse where would you grade having pedal assistance at 17 mph?[emoji601]
I don’t think his motives are completely mercenary. I would say he is thinking of the greater good of pedelecs generally, as well as looking out for the interests of his employer and the industry. I don’t think you can say that the OP is interested in the longer term future of EAPCs. Let alone the speed freaks who want to have their cakes and eat them.

PhilX

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2012
Seaford East Sussex
Not here he doesn't. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/electric-mountain-bikes-no-one-will-buy-one.22070/page-11#post-277311

The words "private land only" mean nothing, and if he has made mention to that on it's own without the addition of with no public access or rights of way, then he is misleading customers even further than he already is.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to show links to where he has written those words.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/bosch-ebike-tuning-dongle

"Obviously by going over the 15mph cut off these dongles are FOR OFF ROAD (PRIVATE LAND) USE ONLY!"

Best Regards,
Phil

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
in a grading of lets say 1 to 5 with 1 being murder or worse where would you grade having pedal assistance at 17 mph?
Phill, I'm disappointed that you have allowed yourself to sink to puerile argument in support of what?

If you are suggesting that the legally-limited, assisted speed ought to be higher than 25kph, I'm sure many would agree with you. Given that it isn't and EAPCs must be governed as they are currently, then why do you persist with this notion or inference that it's ok to break that law or, that it's ok if it's just by a little bit?

If you are alluding to something else, then I apologise for misreading your intention.

In post #383, Tillson eloquently commented on the level of limited speed under assisted power but you may have missed that. At the end of the day, anyone who wishes to travel faster than the legally-permitted cut-off speed has several options:

1) Pedal faster

2) If that can't be achieved due to the weight, try riding an unpowered, lightweight road bike.

3) Ride an electric scooter or motorcycle.

4) Jump through the necessary hoops and register an S-class machine, pay the insurance, etc.

Tom

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when i went to a and e today they put on my notes i crashed my electric scooter pmsl again lol

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Phill, I'm disappointed that you have allowed yourself to sink to puerile argument in support of what?

If you are suggesting that the legally-limited, assisted speed ought to be higher than 25kph, I'm sure many would agree with you. Given that it isn't and EAPCs must be governed as they are currently, then why do you persist with this notion or inference that it's ok to break that law or, that it's ok if it's just by a little bit?

If you are alluding to something else, then I apologise for misreading your intention.

In post #383, Tillson eloquently commented on the level of limited speed under assisted power but you may have missed that. At the end of the day, anyone who wishes to travel faster than the legally-permitted cut-off speed has several options:

1) Pedal faster

2) If that can't be achieved due to the weight, try riding an unpowered, lightweight road bike.

4) Jump through the necessary hoops and register an S-class machine, pay the insurance, etc.

Tom
I didn't know what puerile meant until I googled it.. Immature..
I wasn't suggesting the speed limiter be highered as I am happy to go as fast as mine allows which is about 17mph on the flat, 30 downhill and 15 uphill!
Its just that everyone seems so up in arms about such a small thing.. I would let the dealers fight it out, in fact if this discussion were in a pub some would have been arrested by now.
Its a glass houses/stones thing...
In truth I respect what most say, but there is a lot of fishing going on as well

Reactions: rippedupno1

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

1) Pedal faster

Tom
Tom, I wrote post #383 because someone new to ebikes might read it and that may cause them to think a little deeper. However, there are the usual suspects who whenever anyone tries to explain the reasoning behind EAPC legislation and provide evidence in support of it, descend to the level that we see here.

I believe that this is because these people don't have the aptitude to understand the reasoning or the capacity to think through and contemplate the eventual long term outcome of their actions. This lack of ability prevents them from being able to respond with a counter argument, so they regress to, "child." Think of them as having a disability and cut them a bit of slack, it's not their fault that they were made this way.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Tom, I wrote post #383 because someone new to ebikes might read it and that may cause them to think a little deeper. However, there are the usual suspects who whenever anyone tries to explain the reasoning behind EAPC legislation and provide evidence in support of it, descend to the level that we see here.

I believe that this is because these people don't have the aptitude to understand the reasoning or the capacity to think through and contemplate the eventual long term outcome of their actions. This lack of ability prevents them from being able to respond with a counter argument, so they regress to, "child." Think of them as having a disability and cut them a bit of slack, it's not their fault that they were made this way.
Not sure what you mean, but it like it!

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Its just that everyone seems so up in arms about such a small thing.
Based on Phill's remark in quotes above, I'm exiting this thread with this comment: 'There's none so blind as those who will not see'.

If using an unregistered, uninsured motor vehicle is such a small thing, then I'm afraid you haven't digested properly all the information contained in the posts of this thread Phill.

I'm afraid this is the ongoing and possibly increasing problem for EAPC riders. That some consider the foregoing as a small thing, some even agreeing that it contravenes the law, means they do it with full knowledge and therefore, premeditation. Such people are dangerous.

Tom

ps Crossed with Tillson's very amusing post.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Based on Phill's remark in quotes above, I'm exiting this thread with this comment: 'There's none so blind as those who will not see'.

If using an unregistered, uninsured motor vehicle is such a small thing, then I'm afraid you haven't digested properly all the information contained in the posts of this thread Phill.

I'm afraid this is the ongoing and possibly increasing problem for EAPC riders. That some consider the foregoing as a small thing, some even agreeing that it contravenes the law, means they do it with full knowledge and therefore, premeditation. Such people are dangerous.

Tom

ps Crossed with Tillson's very amusing post.
Perhaps here i can see some sense.
bearing in mind my bike is fully legal I do not consider a dongled pedal cycle to be an unregistered motor vehicle.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I don’t want to be rude but that is one of the more childish posts I’ve seen on this thread. What you are really saying is “I want to do as I like and I don’t want to hear about the possible legal issues arising from it.” About the only appropriate anal response to that is a loud fart.

But you see no one here is trying to stop you being as irresponsible as you like. However other people thinking of getting into pedelecs might not realise as you undoubtedly do that riding an unregistered, uninsured, and uninsurable quite heavy electric moped is not really a good idea maybe?

I mean if you have an accident which is your fault and make someone a paraplegic on proper motorbike and you are uninsured, the insurance industry will cover it through the fund they set up some years ago. But who will pay to look after the poor sod lying on his back 24/7 when there can be no insurance on a bike like that? Will you volunteer to look after him and feed him and wipe his arse?
QUOTE="selrahc1992, post: 277631, member: 12741"]and I'm bound to enjoy it, more than you could possibly imagine.
Evidently not.

Unlike yourself, I don't even give second thought to this forum when I'm out on my bike, so clearly it is bothering you more than it doesn't bother me. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/page-51#post-277594 I'd say that in respect of morals and opinions, that you need to look a little closer to home before passing judgement upon others.

Thank you for thinking of me though, and I'm certain sure that on your next ride, or when next in Costa, that you will now be thinking of me once again, and who knows, even the time after that and the time after that. Enjoy the moment, and keep me posted. :)[/QUOTE]
This is good,let out all of those angry,judgemental feelings,if one does it long enough it can be cathartic(though judging by the length of this sanctimonious thread you lot would need lots of space) ;@)

Reactions: Gubbins

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
Time for me to stop reading this thread, it is taking up far too much time!

Some of it has been entertaining and informative some posts make me despair :(

I personally have sympathy and respect for Col's position which I believe is principled, if only all retailers of these machines were of like mind. :(
I must admit I've never quite understood the need for sooped up e-bikes. If you want to go fast get a full motorcycle licence and then you can indulge in some real power and occasionally scare yourself witless.:rolleyes:
Or failing that get a good road bike, get fit and then all the speed generated would be down to you - much more satisfying :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they restrict road motor bikes tho ;)