Electric Mountain Bikes: No one will buy one?!..

PhilX

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2012
Seaford East Sussex
I'm intrigued enough by Flecc's opinion, and your agreement with it that I would be interested to hear you logic, so I can ensure its discussed our end.

Trading Standards law says this:

The heaviest responsibility falls on producers, eg the manufacturer of a product. But distributors - such as shops and wholesalers - also have legal responsibilities.

Failing to meet your responsibilities can have serious consequences. You could face legal action with possible fines or even imprisonment. You could also be sued by anyone who has been injured or has suffered damage to personal property as a result of using your product.

This guide outlines the basics of product liability and product safety law. It will help you understand how you are affected and what action you need to take.

Now I know about Mini Motos, because I've owned and raced them in the past and there are standards they have to meet to be sold... BS7407:1991 Specification for vehicles directly propelled by energy derived from a fuel, capable of carrying children, etc etc, some even come under EN71 Toys. So if any of these have been crashed, or used illegally the dealers may well have been covered.

So what I don't understand is how you think a dealer selling a dongled eBike (and this is a clear distinction from an sPedelec) would be protected legally in the even some riding the dongled bike was involved in an accident, based on the clear guidance under trading standards laws.

Because they clearly aren't safe, the dealer is bypassing the legally required speed restriction.

Its also possible that dealers selling dongled bikes and sPedelecs who describe them "as being suitable for offroad us" could also be liable under the Trade Descriptions Act 1968.

Looking forward to reading your responses.[/QUOTE]
*********************************************************************************
*********************************************************************************
Hi,

I don't think we've spoken before.

I will happily give you my logic without fear or favour as to why I find myself agreeing with Flecc's post.

In his post Flecc writes:

“First specifying ebike when there is no such thing in UK law. The vehicle you speak of as being classed as a bicycle is in law an EAPC (Electric Assisted Pedal Cycle). If a dealer sells an e-bike, ebike, electric bicycle etc with no mention of it being an EAPC, there is no offence in law or any liability attached to that legal sale.”

I agree with this especially when you use Trading Standards and the Trades Description Act to enforce your argument.

Google tells me that KTM Industries have 49 E-Bikes in this category. Don’t take this personally you are not alone.

e-bike shop sells Electric Bikes.

If push ever comes to shove the nice people from Trading Standards can be very exacting when it comes to describing what you are selling. The current law applies to EAPC’s which is what you are hopefully retailing. As an industry it must be worth considering promoting the term “EAPC” in the blurb to flag up that you are selling an “honest” approved bicycle and by so doing distance yourself from those involved in any possible wrong doing. There needs to be a clear distinction. The distinction will benefit all concerned.

Dongles.

So long as an electric bike/ e-bike is sold as such and isn’t paraded as an EAPC I have no issue. I notice e-bike shop only supply and fit to their own customers and are at pains to point out that it for use on private land only. I do not see it being sold as an EAPC.

I do have an issue with the EAPCS where pressing a combination of buttons on the display can de-restrict the bicycle. If you take the line that it's a safety issue then they should all be recalled. Trading Standards excel in this area.

Best Regards,

Phil

ps. Pre legalisation I spent a considerable time lobbying the then Minister for Transport and attending his surgeries for face to face meetings, hence my interest.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I notice e-bike shop only supply and fit to their own customers and are at pains to point out that it for use on private land only.

Not here he doesn't. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/electric-mountain-bikes-no-one-will-buy-one.22070/page-11#post-277311

The words "private land only" mean nothing, and if he has made mention to that on it's own without the addition of with no public access or rights of way, then he is misleading customers even further than he already is.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to show links to where he has written those words.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kudoscycles

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Not here he doesn't. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/electric-mountain-bikes-no-one-will-buy-one.22070/page-11#post-277311

The words "private land only" mean nothing, and if he has made mention to that on it's own without the addition of with no public access or rights of way, then he is misleading customers even further than he already is.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to show links to where he has written those words.

I was thinking about this thread just now, while - with some pleasure I must confess - gunning my little two and half kw bpm Raleigh twenty back from costa. that's an issue in itself, it has a top speed of around 17 mph (340rpm in 20 wheel) but wonderful acceleration of course. mainly I was thinking about all this repetitive effort to tell others what they can and cannot do. central theme seems to be one of control - not just of speed or power, but also others. Telling those who try to do this to relax clearly hasn't and wouldn't work. the whole process seems personality fuelled. the word anal comes to mind but doesn't really do justice to it. There is a world out there where people get on with things and don't get quite so hung up on controlling others. being anal is all about managing rage and there must be more meaningful ways to share this than the outbursts earlier on in this thread. Why not go and have a good weekend instead of all this obsessing? I'm going to, on a technically illegal ebike, and I'm bound to enjoy it, more than you could possibly imagine.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So what I don't understand is how you think a dealer selling a dongled eBike (and this is a clear distinction from an sPedelec) would be protected legally in the even some riding the dongled bike was involved in an accident, based on the clear guidance under trading standards laws.

Because they clearly aren't safe, the dealer is bypassing the legally required speed restriction.
I think the mistake here is that you've interpretated, rather than stating a fact. Just because a speed restriction is bypassed does not mean the vehicle is necessarily unsafe, and that is very true in this case.

All of the bicycle construction and use standards, UK and EU, are identical for pedelecs, e-bikes and S class e-bikes. If follows that all are considered safe at S class speeds and beyond, logical when one considers that the regulations apply to ordinary bikes which routinely achieve speeds far above the 28mph S class assist limit. Indeed all of these bike types can be expected to exceed that speed downhill at times, something the construction and use regulations have taken into account.

Ergo, removing the restrictor does not make the e-bike unsafe. That could only happen if for safety reasons the e-bike was restricted from travelling faster at any time by any means, an absolute limit in other words.

Trading Standards therefore have no grounds for an action on the basis of safety problems.

Reactions: trex

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I was thinking about this thread just now, while - with some pleasure I must confess - gunning my little two and half kw bpm Raleigh twenty back from costa. that's an issue in itself, it has a top speed of around 17 mph (340rpm in 20 wheel) but wonderful acceleration of course. mainly I was thinking about all this repetitive effort to tell others what they can and cannot do. central theme seems to be one of control - not just of speed or power, but also others. Telling those who try to do this to relax clearly hasn't and wouldn't work. the whole process seems personality fuelled. the word anal comes to mind but doesn't really do justice to it. There is a world out there where people get on with things and don't get quite so hung up on controlling others. being anal is all about managing rage and there must be more meaningful ways to share this than the outbursts earlier on in this thread. Why not go and have a good weekend instead of all this obsessing? I'm going to, on a technically illegal ebike, and I'm bound to enjoy it, more than you could possibly imagine.
I don’t want to be rude but that is one of the more childish posts I’ve seen on this thread. What you are really saying is “I want to do as I like and I don’t want to hear about the possible legal issues arising from it.” About the only appropriate anal response to that is a loud fart.

But you see no one here is trying to stop you being as irresponsible as you like. However other people thinking of getting into pedelecs might not realise as you undoubtedly do that riding an unregistered, uninsured, and uninsurable quite heavy electric moped is not really a good idea maybe?

I mean if you have an accident which is your fault and make someone a paraplegic on proper motorbike and you are uninsured, the insurance industry will cover it through the fund they set up some years ago. But who will pay to look after the poor sod lying on his back 24/7 when there can be no insurance on a bike like that? Will you volunteer to look after him and feed him and wipe his arse?

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
'Criminal and proud to be one' - That seems to be the message you are putting across.

Well, that's fine so long as you never complain about other forms of crime which may, god forbid, impact upon you or yours. We could all pick some laws we would like to break but most of us don't.

If you should ever grow into maturity, you'll discover that has a lot to do with civility, civilisation and civic responsibility.

Tom

Reactions: One_Box

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
'Criminal and proud to be one' - That seems to be the message you are putting across.

Well, that's fine so long as you never complain about other forms of crime which may, god forbid, impact upon you or yours. We could all pick some laws we would like to break but most of us don't.

If you should ever grow into maturity, you'll discover that has a lot to do with civility, civilisation and civic responsibility.

Tom
Hey Tom.
Don't be drawn in....

I think the mistake here is that you've interpretated, rather than stating a fact. Just because a speed restriction is bypassed does not mean the vehicle is necessarily unsafe, and that is very true in this case.
ok, I see where you're coming from, but that's pretty much the exact opposite to what Trading Standards say - I'll see if I can get them to put it in writing for me. Their response so far has been more along the lines of the speed restriction is in place for a number of reasons, and that the rest of the bike is built by the manufacturer to a certain specification again assuming the motor cuts out at a certain speed, and the bicycle brand don't expect and can't plan for that speed restriction to be removed.

They said that unless tested as safe, a product can't legally be assumed to be safe, and that by removing the speed restriction (which is a necessary part of the legal classification of the vehicle) and something the brands work around for the specification of components - it therefore hasn't been tested as a product, and can't be assumed to be safe.

Therefore anyone selling a pedelecs, that has been modified so that it no longer conforms to the standards of the safety certification, or the design of the actually bike, is at a potential risk of liability.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
QUOTE="selrahc1992, post: 277631, member: 12741"]and I'm bound to enjoy it, more than you could possibly imagine.[/QUOTE]

Evidently not.

Unlike yourself, I don't even give second thought to this forum when I'm out on my bike, so clearly it is bothering you more than it doesn't bother me. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/page-51#post-277594 I'd say that in respect of morals and opinions, that you need to look a little closer to home before passing judgement upon others.

Thank you for thinking of me though, and I'm certain sure that on your next ride, or when next in Costa, that you will now be thinking of me once again, and who knows, even the time after that and the time after that. Enjoy the moment, and keep me posted. :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Their response so far has been more along the lines of the speed restriction is in place for a number of reasons, and that the rest of the bike is built by the manufacturer to a certain specification again assuming the motor cuts out at a certain speed, and the bicycle brand don't expect and can't plan for that speed restriction to be removed.
But the fundamental flaw in their position is that both the construction and use requirements and their own design requirements for safety take into account the speeds which any bicycle can reach in road conditions. That is far beyond the dongled speed capability of around 30mph and the 28mph S class limit. Therefore the designed assist cutout speed is not relevant where the supplier is concerned, it's not a safety measure, it only exists to accord to a legal usage restriction which the user is liable for, not the supplier.

Any legal action against a supplier or manufacturer will be met with that defence, which I believe would be effective.

Once again as with our earlier discussion, I ask why there has never been any similar action? There's hardly been any lack of opportunity with regard to both original and modified vehicles.

Reactions: Artstu

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Evidently not.

Unlike yourself, I don't even give second thought to this forum when I'm out on my bike, so clearly it is bothering you more than it doesn't bother me. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/page-51#post-277594 I'd say that in respect of morals and opinions, that you need to look a little closer to home before passing judgement upon others.

Thank you for thinking of me though, and I'm certain sure that on your next ride, or when next in Costa, that you will now be thinking of me once again, and who knows, even the time after that and the time after that. Enjoy the moment, and keep me posted. :)
I too don't consider this forum whist enjoying my bicycle but as this thread had become so intreguing I am following on my wrist mounted mobile device as I pedal on at 16 mph.[emoji687] (Probably against the law but only in a minor way)[emoji601]

But the fundamental flaw in their position is that both the construction and use requirements and their own design requirements for safety take into account the speeds which any bicycle can reach in road conditions. That is far beyond the dongled speed capability of around 30mph and the 28mph S class limit. Therefore the designed assist cutout speed is not relevant where the supplier is concerned, it's not a safety measure, it only exists to accord to a legal usage restriction which the user is liable for, not the supplier.

Any legal action against a supplier or manufacturer will be met with that defence, which I believe would be effective.

Once again as with our earlier discussion, I ask why there has never been any similar action? There's hardly been any lack of opportunity with regard to both original and modified vehicles.
I will get this confirmed, because I'm no Trading Standards expert or lawyer, but the information I have is that its not come up before because with any other type of original or modified vehicle... the modification generally doesn't take it out of the classification / make its use illegal.

When talking to people in the know in the car and motorbike world, the reason they came up with as to why its not cropped up before is because and I quote "people who modify cars for track days, or motorbikes for racing (which appears to be the nearest comparion - as they also are no longer road legal) aren't stupid enough to use them on the public highway".

Reactions: JohnCade

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
And folk get frustrated with Sheldon Cooper.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
"people who modify cars for track days, or motorbikes for racing (which appears to be the nearest comparion - as they also are no longer road legal) aren't stupid enough to use them on the public highway".
Utter claptrap. Lots of people drive their track day vehicles to and from the circuit.

Reactions: flecc
Utter claptrap. Lots of people drive their track day vehicles to and from the circuit.
yes... the road legal ones!!! I'm not talking about them!

you don't see these on the road, for instance - and in many cases they are just modified minis. Which were road legal cars, but now aren't. So very much like bikes, which once modified are no longer road legal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/autograss-cars