Electric Unicycle with large battery catches fire

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Beware batteries that catch fire!

Liveleek link
Horrifying comes to my mind.
The Guy who bravely kicked it away from the tree, deserves a medal for quick thinking......
Sad that the rider ended up injured, but hopefully he will heal up quickly, but a broken leg is far from funny.
I wonder if the battery builder takes any responsibility after this?
Many thanks for sharing, as some bikers apparently still do not understand just how dangerous these batteries can be when the envelope is pushed too far......
Regards
Andy

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
I do worry about Lithium batteries in general, I've the cycle pack in the garage, my cordless drill in the workshop and a powerfull Chinese torch in the hall.

If any of them decide to self-destruct my house will be a massive bonfire. :eek:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I do worry about Lithium batteries in general, I've the cycle pack in the garage, my cordless drill in the workshop and a powerfull Chinese torch in the hall.

If any of them decide to self-destruct my house will be a massive bonfire. :eek:
I think many households could say roughly the same, but as long as you are around when charging, and you make sure that any that get deformed for some mechanical reason are disposed of safely, you should be OK.
Lithium is simply dangerous, and if it starts burning, about the only way to put it out is to sink it in water for hours.....
All of the drills where I have opened up the battery over the years, its always been NICADs, but I am sure that you know what you have...
If a Class D extinguisher is not available, douse a lithium-metal fire with water to prevent the fire from spreading. For best results dowsing a Li-ion fire, use a foam extinguisher, CO2, ABC dry chemical, powdered graphite, copper powder or soda (sodium carbonate) as you would extinguish other combustible fires.
We should all take great care with any high power battery.
In Germany, electric car fires often have to have a big tank of water brought close, and the whole car gets dunked in the water for an hour or so, to get the heat out of the metal....
Apparently the same happens in Holland too with electric car fires:-
For me personally, its a good reason to not have your family in one!
But each must choose for him or her self....
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if its not on fire your not going fast enough ;)

• :D
Reactions: ChuckingFeet

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I usually, every 5 to 8 years (mostly guessing!), need a new drill, as the batteries have given up and the replacements cost more than a new drill in a carry case!
One day I must try replacing all the cells in one battery and see how I get on!!
Have a great weekend
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
But not as good a medal....
IMHO, I get the gist of what you intended to say, but you did not write it well.
"But not good enough for a medal" is probably what you intended to write possibly?
I always feel generous to people who do their best to make a bad situation a whole lot safer for those around them....
I wonder just how long it took for the battery to finish burning out?
Andy

Reactions: budsy

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Yes, Bronze medal standard only. He saved the bush but totally ignored his mate with the broken leg lying in the road who was being pelted by flaming Lithium cells flying in all directions.

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK

You cant these days there in everything from your laptops to mobile phones and even watches
Its the world we live in mobile power wise we just have to embrace it or throw all our tech in the bin :(