Help! ElectroPed Leader

PewterRaven

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2019
North East UK and Valencia, Spain.
Hi, I visited the forum last year regarding an ElectroPed Leader.
I have just recently got around to resurrecting the bike! The batteries were tested and found to be of no use.
I have order three replacements, but now have a further problem of no charger.
Has anyone any idea where I could purchase one to fit the connection on the Leader Battery Pack? (Connection shown in photo 4)
I have checked the usual auction sites/sales, but unable to find one.
Any advice would be appreciated
Paul

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
Reactions: PewterRaven

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I think that the three pin kettle plug is not the charging socket but the power out let.
I see a small circular hole on the battery, could we have a close up, because this might be the charging port.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I think that the three pin kettle plug is not the charging socket but the power out let.
I see a small circular hole on the battery, could we have a close up, because this might be the charging port.
Outlets have sockets, so that nobody gets electrocuted, pins are inputs. This is a mains input plug, as seen on desktop computers power supplies. Also the positioning of which pins are which is a standard, and must be adhered to.
This particular type I have used on Computers for many years, strong and sturdy, a good choice for a Bike as well. Sadly, the type name escapes me at this time, sorry!
See here:-

Attachments

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
This particular type I have used on Computers for many years, strong and sturdy, a good choice for a Bike as well. Sadly, the type name escapes me at this time, sorry!
See here:-
IEC Socket

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just had a look at Pic #1 the IEC type is the discharge lead and it clearly shows the discharge IEC type lead at the top of the seat post.
MK is correct the charge point looks to be a DC 5.5mm x 2.1mm or 2.5mm socket at the bottom of the battery.
There are a few on ebay that should work but make sure it states SLA 36v.

Last edited:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
The charger I posted above is for Li batteries, the op will be using 3 x SLA in series so will need the one below, cut the charge pug off and fit an IEC one for compatibility.

Personally, I think that the use of an IEC plug / socket to deliver low voltage charge current is a serious design error.
IEC connectors are universally used to supply mains voltage, be it 110 or 230v ac.

The thought inadvertently plugging an IEC lead at mains potential into a LA battery makes me shudder !

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last night when I looked it was late and I only looked at pic #4 instead of all of them, the charger I posted first with IEC is wrong and is for Li. Any how it will not charge the batteries.
As I mentioned the IEC style connection has one pin orientated differently so a std IEC shouldn't connect.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The charge point pic #5 (small jack socket) will need the centre pin checking to see if it is 2.1 or 2.5mm. I suspect the latter.
A close up pic would be better to see and identify the type of connector.

Last edited:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
The charge point pic #5 (small jack socket) will need the centre pin checking to see if it is 2.1 or 2.5mm. I suspect the latter.
You are right NealH. Looked at pic #1, looks like the IEC plug/socket is being used as the main umbilical connection between motor and battery.

I must try harder and look at all the piccies? o_O

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You are right NealH. Looked at pic #1, looks like the IEC plug/socket is being used as the main umbilical connection between motor and battery.

I must try harder and look at all the piccies? o_O
I did likewise last night and only looked at pic #4 , I read the op's post literally and didn't bother with the others and should have done even though it was getting a bit late.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Personally, I think that the use of an IEC plug / socket to deliver low voltage charge current is a serious design error.
IEC connectors are universally used to supply mains voltage, be it 110 or 230v ac.

The thought inadvertently plugging an IEC lead at mains potential into a LA battery makes me shudder !
I plugged the mains directly into my lithium battery. Those connectors used to be supplied on the BMSBattery 20Ah block batteries. I hadn't noticed that the lead had become unplugged from my charger, so I just picked it up and plugged it in. There was a big bang and the mains fuse blew, luckily. That must have prevented any damage because when I sorted out the leads and tried again after fixing the fuse, everything was OK.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I plugged the mains directly into my lithium battery. Those connectors used to be supplied on the BMSBattery 20Ah block batteries. I hadn't noticed that the lead had become unplugged from my charger, so I just picked it up and plugged it in. There was a big bang and the mains fuse blew, luckily. That must have prevented any damage because when I sorted out the leads and tried again after fixing the fuse, everything was OK.
Don't think I would like to have tried that:eek:
Inadvertently or as an experiment!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

Well put!
I would even go so far as to say totally illegal where used in any part of the EU and the UK. Probably in America too....
These are mains voltage, AC plugs and sockets.
It would certainly "divert" my attention away from any product misusing such connectors.
I wonder who would be held responsible for any damage or injury caused by accidentally plugging in a mains lead?
Andy

Reactions: MontyPAS

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
The 'Kettle' type plug and socket on my Tonaro has the central pin at right angles to normal.
It would not be possible to plug a mains lead into the battery.
Then it is a C21 IEC plug 1599893114393.png

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 'Kettle' type plug and socket on my Tonaro has the central pin at right angles to normal.
It would not be possible to plug a mains lead into the battery.
As in the case of the bike we speak of in this thread, the pin orientation is clear in the pics.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Not the same IEC connector only the third single pin on the connector is at right angle to the other two.
See it now (Yet again didnt look at the piccies properly :rolleyes:). Ninety degree orientation of what would be the earth pin on a standard IEC connector?