Embarrassment

Moorlie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
It's a bit counter intuitive, but a softer or wider saddle isn't always the answer.

Everyone I know who's tried a Brooks leather saddle is converted.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
All started so simple: get bike and ride to work. It's always the little things. I will heed your advice and spend some time looking into this before investing in the what-seems-obvious gel solution.

Moorlie

Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
We all started somewhere, some will be happy to just ride around their neighbourhood, others commute and some become addicted.
They are all a path to a fitter life and I find it good mentally as well.

Good luck with the commute :)
Thanks Geebee. I would not call this a commute, but it is a start and I did enjoy. In another reply I commented about travelling through a park with joggers and dog walkers, so much more relaxed than the narrow road with too many cars. More effort, less stress.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Give you butt 2-3wks to get conditioned. If still a problem then look for new seat.

As your fitness increases try working up a sweat on way home by lowering assist level. Of course max assist an no sweat on way to work.

One plus of ebikes is it allows me to wear full wet weather gear (raincoat and leggings) on wet days and not arrive sweating at work. You can even wear wellys (gumboots) and keep feet dry.

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I have been a long distance all weather m/bike commuter for many years. I have noticed a lack of heated handle bar grips in the elec bike world and am thinking of having a tinker - I knew there would be a use for that usb socket :)
Heated grips can use a lot of power. on a motorcycle it's not much, but when you have a limited power supply, it could cut your electric bike range significantly.
Wind chill is speed dependant and if you are sub 30kph it isn't too bad.
Hit 50 and even a 5degree dat becomes cold and frozen fingers come.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I have some heated glove liners

They came with crap batteries which I replaced straight away for a small, quality pack I made myself from 18650 cells

I first had heated gloves but these were ski style and too big

But, you know what, the best for me came about through an illness. I had to wear thin vinyl gloves ( food prep style). They are about 1.50 for 100 pairs. Wear these under normal gloves and it's amazing !!

This is a true winter solution of course. Otherwise you get sweaty hands over any large distance.

My commute is 7 miles each way. No sweat, just warm comfort in deep winter months. I think I stopped late Feb

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Right now, first day, its not the legs that are hurting. I think that the seat is made of concrete and I am going to go find out what gel seats are all about :|
Welcome to this forum and site, because now you are in good hands and that's the 'bottom' line.:p

MS.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Heated grips can use a lot of power. on a motorcycle it's not much, but when you have a limited power supply, it could cut your electric bike range significantly.
Wind chill is speed dependant and if you are sub 30kph it isn't too bad.
Hit 50 and even a 5degree dat becomes cold and frozen fingers come.
Hi D8ve, I might as well stay at home if I then have to connect my heated socks to the power supply. Where will it end? Please do not also mention heated ear muffs.:D

MS.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hi D8ve, I might as well stay at home if I then have to connect my heated socks to the power supply. Where will it end? Please do not also mention heated ear muffs.:D

MS.
Maplins do a range of heated under garments o_O perhaps pull a genny behind the bike :D

Reactions: mountainsport

Laoúra

Jun 5, 2016
Cambridgeshire
I get cold hands cycling in winter and will probably be wearing gloves by early October unless it is very warm. I've got 2 pairs that I wear in winter - a silk thin pair and a thicker outer pair - they usually do OK for me. Last winter, getting the bus, I was colder than any day cycling the previous winter - the cheapskate bus company never put the heating on for our £6.40 fare!!

With saddles - I've found that any time I've ridden a bike for the first time in a while has resulted in a sore bum. Give it another week or so and you will get used to it (hopefully!).

Moorlie

Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
Give you butt 2-3wks to get conditioned. If still a problem then look for new seat.

As your fitness increases try working up a sweat on way home by lowering assist level. Of course max assist an no sweat on way to work.

One plus of ebikes is it allows me to wear full wet weather gear (raincoat and leggings) on wet days and not arrive sweating at work. You can even wear wellys (gumboots) and keep feet dry.
Okay, your advice matches that given by other people that I know who cycle regularly. In just one week I am loving this bike, my anatomy is getting accustomed to it as well. I have clocked up some 180km now, went for a 50km ride around the New Forest on Sunday and it was my best day out this year. During this ride I started experimenting with the assist level and turning it off all together. I did find that in big open areas of heathland the wind was destroying me even on the flats and would toggle assist. I was riding with my sister who is a little younger, but a lot fitter and she never had assist at all so it seemed wrong for me to get a totally free ride.

On my 6 mile commute now I am using lowest setting on hills, off everywhere else. After two days it looks like the battery could last the entire week, but I will not risk a Friday disaster and intend to charge it tomorrow. My personal goal now, second to losing a few pounds, is to get that battery consumption down.

Personally I do not mind the rain and am happy to keep going in shorts and tshirt. Being overweight I have some built-in protection from the cold.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Sounds like you're getting into it!.

If you ride out of assist on the flat you should be getting a good workout, the wind is a killer on a normal bike so that's one of the big benifits when running an ebike

D

Deleted member 17694

Hello Moorlie, I'm new to all this too so I'm following a similar learning curve (and loving it). I find this is a very helpful forum, plenty of experts and experienced people here to point us in the right direction.

Just swopped my saddle for a cheap gel sprung version, just to see what it's like as the old one was like sitting on a piece of wood. A long ride makes my seat bones hurt and after a few weeks of persevering it's not really getting any better. The roads are pretty rough round my way too which doesn't help.

Anyway, I'm a fifty something Sotonian too, so we can share local knowledge, swop spares and maybe go for a ride one day.

Moorlie

Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
Anyway, I'm a fifty something Sotonian too, so we can share local knowledge, swop spares and maybe go for a ride one day.
Hey, another Sotonian :) I have been for one ride out the New Forest so far and it was great fun. My sister rode along with me, I had to wait on hills as she is using just pedal power. My Son complained that I never invited him along!

We should definitely meet up for a ride one weekend, my evenings seem to be full of other stuff I need to do.