eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
What a way to spend a Sunday. :)

A drive down to the South Downs for an 8.00am start, short sleeves, cycling shorts, sun cream and sun glasses. Long may it continue.
It was a really nice and chilled ride today, with plenty of conversation stops with walkers and runners, and a couple of liquid refreshment stops thrown in for good measure.
In passing, I also had a chat to three separate people about ebikes, a lad that wants his girlfriend to get an eMTB, an elderly road rider that wasn't ruling them out, and a farmer that I stopped to help. He seemed to be the most enthusiastic of the lot, and I must have spent the best part of half an hour talking to him about them. Very different from the lad who wanted one for his girlfriend. He didn't seem to accept that an FS eMTB is going to weigh roughly 20kg-21kg. He kept arguing that they only weigh 14kg - 15kg. He seemed to know it all, but knew nothing, and didn't want to listen.

Time now for a post ride bottle or three of Fullers Honey Dew.

• Ride length 41.8 miles long.
  • Total elevation gain 5,171 ft.
  • Average speed 9.6mph.
  • Maximum speed 35mph.

Sunshine all round.

Chalk horse of Old Littlington.

Climb up towards the drop back down to East Dean. Rider unknown.

Bridleway towads East Dean

Lower end of Seven Sisters

Cuckmere Haven.

Track towards Alciston.

More to follow.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Continued.

I guess that if you are going to get a puncture, then it might as well be somewhere with a nice view. :) I foresee a switch to tubeless this coming week.

View towards Willingdon. The far side of the rape seed field, is the track where the photo above was taken from.

I recall having to once push the bike along the one mile length of this field. It was ploughed and too muddy to ride.

View towards Newhaven.

Cuckmere haven.

Just outside Alfriston.

Alfriston church.

Today was also the first decent test using the new hardtail. Dry conditions on concrete hard ground. The bike is just so agile and fun to ride, and it climbs and jumps so effortlessly. Only once did I feel that an full suspension bike would have been better, and I'm now left thinking that I might well sell the full suspension bike. Any offers for a slightly used FS bike, only ever used on canal tow paths and public recreation grounds, never seen a speck of mud. Cable ties not required.

Last edited:

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
A dry ride today, as Eddie say's; the ground was concrete hard and along the rutted ox droves of southern Wiltshire I was actually relieved to be on a full suspension bike.
A 40 mile ride on a very warm afternoon...

Looking over to Broughton from the trig pillar on Broughton Down.

The track between Winterslow and Pitton.

The bluebells in Bentley Wood.

The first time this year I didn't need to hose the bike off!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Last shots from yesterdays ride.

Back out again tomorrow evening for a ride locally. Sadly not quite the same!
I'm should be working at Keymer on Wednesday, and if I am, it'll be rude of me not to put the bike in the back of the van, in order to head back up onto the South Downs late afternoon/evening.

Bostal Hill.

Hill Barn.

Dew pond, just beyond Eastbourne Downs golf club at Cross Dyke.

Birling Gap.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One thing that annoys me with Eddie is his composition, it always looks great :(.I guess it is something that happens naturally :mad:.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
He is an artist! You saw his sculptures, the man has an eye. His only flaw is he loves mucking about in... muck! :eek:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
What a load of old tosh! Thanks anyway though. :)

Not much to show for this evenings ride. I knew that I shouldn't have bothered, as it is now back to slippery muddy wet conditions.

I guess that is the dry weather over again for this year! :(

I didn't matter too much though, as I was mainly out exploring for new routes, which took me through woodland that isn't used by anyone else, so at least some of the ride was mud free. Not the most exciting of rides, but still good to be out and about.

Last edited:

Chinapig

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2016
Out for a longish ride today (well, long for me, anyway!), to stretch the legs of my fairly new Trek Powerfly - 200 miles old. Wanted to try the Downs Link, and picked up the trail at its southern end, on the western edge of Shoreham by Sea. In spite of the overnight rain, which was still falling this morning, the trail wasn't too wet or muddy, and I loved every minute. I now realise why I bought an eMTB - the feeling of go-anywhereness was intoxicating!

It was pretty damp and foggy on the way over to Shoreham, with mist hanging over the River Adur as I found the start of the Downs Link. Enjoyed riding along by the river, and followed the trail up to Bramber, where I stopped for a coffee in a pub - no point in overdoing it! Then carried on to Henfield, across the slightly more challenging bumpy bits, and I decided to come back via the main roads to keep my average speed up, as was on a bit of a deadline to get home. Battery was fully charged when I left home, not far from Worthing, and after the 30-mile round trip it was down just 1 bar on the display, with 50 miles showing as the range on Eco. Used a mix of Off, Eco and Tour. Delighted with the ride, and very pleased indeed with the Trek. A good afternoon out.

Downs Link_Trek Powerfly_11thMay.jpg

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
Today was also the first decent test using the new hardtail. Dry conditions on concrete hard ground. The bike is just so agile and fun to ride, and it climbs and jumps so effortlessly. Only once did I feel that an full suspension bike would have been better, and I'm now left thinking that I might well sell the full suspension bike. Any offers for a slightly used FS bike, only ever used on canal tow paths and public recreation grounds, never seen a speck of mud. Cable ties not required.
Quick question... and whilst I may (albeit probably not) sound as though I know what I'm talking about, I really don't. Please keep that in mind. :)

I presume you felt full sus would have been better on that one occasion for the usual reasons. My question, however, relates more to geometry.

I imagine your KTM geometry is more XC oriented with a fairly steep head angle (say 70*), whereas your full sus will have a slacker head angle (say 67*). Do you notice the difference? For example, on a steep descent or on a drop off, do you feel the front wheel of the hardtail is 'under' you a little vs. 'in front' of you a little on the full sus leaving you more vulnerable to being exited from your chariot over the handlebars?

There's a drop off that I feel confident flying off on my current 29er full sus that I felt very weary of on my old (non-eMTB) 26" XC hardtail. Never thought about it until recently... is it the geometry (slack vs steep head angle), wheel size (29" vs 26"), something else, that contributes to that increased confidence.

I'm hopefully demoing a plus size hardtail this weekend which is more trail oriented with 67* head angle, so I'll be interested to compare.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When I ride to shoreham area and on to the downs I use the D-L as a traffic free route and ride it from Copsale. I have a few posts on the older off raod thread.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
change the stem to a 50mm DH one and try that :)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
Picked mine up from dealer after its first and free service.Also had new tyres,new chain and pads put in.

Straight upto Yorkshire Bridge and did 27 mile route from Thornhill,Aston upto Pack Horse Bridge ( around all 3 lakes) and back.
Brakes a bit sketchy at first but soon bedded in. Front still a squeaky under load but fine.
New tyres a bit draggier on road but feel grippier and absorb shock better off it. Think I,ll run these a bit higher pressure. ( 30 ??? I,ll experiment)
For riding I do still think hard tail is better. ( perhaps not what I do but which I prefer) Like fastish trails...
Wondering I there is a fault on borrowed Motus... Yam feels way better even at speed and places Motus should Excel??
There is a road hill I have to do as part of above route. Yam/ Haibike its not an issue. Had to be out of seat and working at 90% to get motus up...(gift horse and all that tho, going back soon)

Chinapig

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2016
When I ride to shoreham area and on to the downs I use the D-L as a traffic free route and ride it from Copsale. I have a few posts on the older off raod thread.
Thanks for the info - I'll check out those threads.

Next time I try the DL, I'll make a whole day of it, and attempt to get a lot further north. It was certainly a pleasurable and very peaceful place to be.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Quick question... and whilst I may (albeit probably not) sound as though I know what I'm talking about, I really don't. Please keep that in mind. :)

I presume you felt full sus would have been better on that one occasion for the usual reasons. My question, however, relates more to geometry.

I imagine your KTM geometry is more XC oriented with a fairly steep head angle (say 70*), whereas your full sus will have a slacker head angle (say 67*). Do you notice the difference? For example, on a steep descent or on a drop off, do you feel the front wheel of the hardtail is 'under' you a little vs. 'in front' of you a little on the full sus leaving you more vulnerable to being exited from your chariot over the handlebars?

There's a drop off that I feel confident flying off on my current 29er full sus that I felt very weary of on my old (non-eMTB) 26" XC hardtail. Never thought about it until recently... is it the geometry (slack vs steep head angle), wheel size (29" vs 26"), something else, that contributes to that increased confidence.

I'm hopefully demoing a plus size hardtail this weekend which is more trail oriented with 67* head angle, so I'll be interested to compare.

This probably isn't going to be the answer that you are looking for, but to be honest, I just get on the bike and ride it, and give no thought to the geometry of either bike. The two things that make a difference to me are tyres that have an aggressive edge pattern to the tread, and the recent addition of the dropper seat post to both bikes. I need to change the tyres on the had tail to something like Hutchinson Toros, that still offer reasonable rolling, but also have a decent side edge, which is something very desirable when riding the very narrow and rutted local terrain.

At the organised mtb bike shop ride a couple of weeks ago, I was out with a group who predominantly ride down hill. A couple of the lads were saying that I should do this, do that, and switch to a short stem.
I didn't say anything at the time, but I thought what utter ******. People, example above with SW, read far too much into what they see on the internet, or in magazines and get sucked in. I even often wonder how many it through their childhood days. Don't know about anyone else, but I just rode whatever we made or found at the dump. None of us are pro riders, and none of us would really know a good from bad set up.
My point being that yes a shorter stem would mean that I am in a potentially better position to ride down hill, but if those lads on that ride had stopped to think about it a bit more, I had never ridden down hill as such before, was riding a bike with considerably less suspension travel, and no short stem, but in the scheme of things I wasn't exactly too far behind them by the end of each run.

Of more importance is something that they and SW are missing the point of, and that is what the purpose of an eMTB actually is. Surely the first and most important point, is that eMTB is designed to make climbing easier, and hopefully if desired, faster as well. By shortening the stem as suggested, you are having the opposite effect of what is desired. The bulk of my riding involves climbing, and more often than not, there is at least one climb per ride that is always very debatable about whether or not you can make it to the top. Sometimes these climbs are just metres long, sometimes they are hundreds of metres long. I realise that SW only rides on canal towpaths and public pavements, so all that I have just said about him is rubbish anyway.

I really can't say that I have yet really noticed any major difference between the two bikes, both do the job, but what I really prefer about the hardtail, is how connected and solid that everything feels. It is seemingly tighter and neater to ride, hopping over things is a doddle, it's lighter, and the rigid back end makes climbing so much better with zero squat, and I love the idea of no maintenance to the rear end. Riding the FS bike last night, didn't give me the same buzz.

Thinking about it again, there were actually two occasions that I would have preferred the FS bike on the recent South Downs ride. Once when going down a long descent across a field that had previously been used to graze cattle in, and the constant dip into the now hardened hoof prints marks, wasn't exactly comfortable. The second time was going down a long chalk track that had loads of small drops/steps.

Sorry that my reply wasn't perhaps what you were looking for, but as said, I just get on and ride. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i changed the stem because it just feels more stable for me anyway and id not go back to the one that was on it but as edd says it makes it better one way and worse the other.

id rather be more stable at speed down a hill than unstable going up it as id not be going over the handle bars going up a hill than down it.

my stem was only 30 quid so i changed it and now more stable on the bike for me anyway.

Related Articles

Advertisers