eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Long time no see! This summer my trail riding has been mostly on my full suspension push bike. KTM has been used for commuting and random rides. But my commute includes a bit of single track so here's one sunny photo from today.

KTMCommute.jpg

Ride reports coming in winter :confused:

Reactions: EddiePJ

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Screenshot_20160910-144823.png A little ride this morning! Wasn't all good though on one of the downhills sections I came across a crowd on a bend, went round the bend and there was a helicopter parked on the road. Just before the helicopter in front of a line of cars was a Bosch powered Haibike without rider. A German woman told me the guy had crashed by himself and no cars were involved and he was badly injured. This stretch of road I am normally doing 60kmh plus, it looked like they just lost control and stacked it. Helicopter took off and went straight towards Insbruck which normally means severe head or spinal injuries in these parts. A sobering reminder of how quickly things can go wrong.

Last edited:

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
wtop of bringewood2.PNG top of bringewood.3PNG.PNG A 17 mile day at Bringewood downhill yesterday. Near Ludlow Shropshire plenty of tracks in the woods down and up. Enjoyed one of the downhill routes but as a climb and met 2 riders on their way down who looked a bit astonished to see us riding up! We could see and hear them coming so weren't in their way. Met again later and they showed us some more routes. Good fun to be back in the mud but had forgotten how slippery it could be? Not so much fun having to clean after though.20160910_100315.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ and IR772

lozw

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2016
RG45
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Cycled to the forum in Rome this morning. Thanks to turbo mode on the eBike, I was still back home for lunch

A free like to the first person to name where I actually was.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A free like to the first person to name where I actually was.
My back garden!!!:mad:

I had to go and look at a job this morning, so to try to get some enthusiasm back, I decided to take the bike.
Not sure that turning up to look at a job covered in mud was such a bright idea, but I got the work anyway.

Not something that you see every day of the week.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how do you upload strava files from a phone?

Woodsy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 26, 2016
walsall
14238294_10154030668179315_6660586748214762202_n.jpg 14291750_10154030799399315_3054613275222409587_n.jpg

Well today was my most ambitious ride to date on the Cube.......a ride up to the summit of Mount Snowdon.
I set off from home at 3.30am from the West Mids and surprisingly didn't see many cars on the road all the way to Llanberis......very spooky when you hit some of the mountain roads in the pitch black !!
Once there I had to hang around for a bit for daylight to break before I could start the big climb up the Llanberis path and was very mindful that MTB's have to be off the mountain by 10am.
Straight away I came across 1/2 dozen guys on MTB's pushing them up the mountain.....got the usual comments of "cheat" as I motored past them...lol.
Even at 6.30am there was already walkers coming back down the path....all very friendly and they all thought I had a screw loose for taking a bike up the mountain.
The weather stayed great till I hit about half way....then the mist came thick and fast along with a howling wind and freezing temperatures.
I wasn't going to give up though....I was on a mission.It surprised me just how severe the rock steps and climb was and found I had to push or carry the bike a far bit,which as we all know they aren't the lightest of bikes!!
After what seemed an eternity(but was only 1hr 20mins) I reached the summit,but couldn't see any of the stunning views thanks to the mist.So much for the weather forecast that I had seen of clear skys.
Quick few photos then time for the descent.I managed to take a wrong turn with the poor visibility and ended up taking the Pyg and Miners track.This track was never built with an MTB in mind.I literally had to scramble down it as there was no way you could ride a bike down it.A combination of the weather and how severe this path was had me a tad scared.
Finally the path levelled out and became rideable again....phew.Luckily I came across a sign post to get my back to Llanberis as on my current path I was going away from the town,this did however mean climbing up and over yet another steep hill which was just grass and no track to follow so again it couldn't be ridden as I just couldn't get any traction.
I've never been so glad to see my van when I did get back to the car park.At least I can tick this ride off my bucket list now !!!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nice one Woodsy, I am very envious. It is great to see an eMTB being used for climbing, and you might well find that it becomes very addictive. Nothing beats chasing elevation. :)

I have a few more major climbs planned myself, including one which as far as I know has never been done before, but that will be for another thread. :)

What was the distance and elevation gain for the climb today?

how do you upload strava files from a phone?
Just click share or copy and paste the link.

Last edited:

Woodsy

Jun 26, 2016
walsall
Nice one Woodsy, I am very envious. It is great to see an eMTB being used for climbing, and you might well find that it becomes very addictive. Nothing beats chasing elevation. :)

I have a few more major climbs planned myself, including one which as far as I know has never been done before, but that will be for another thread. :)

What was the distance and elevation gain for the climb today?

Just click share or copy and paste the link.

I did just over 11 miles thanks to my little de tour and i'm sure I read some where that the elevation is 3200 ft

Reactions: chris130256

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
was logged in to wrong account on the phone :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: IR772

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Woodsy, I've always thought I'd follow the train tracks up if I was going to do Snowdon? I've walked all the tracks up and never considered them suitable for a bike, although emtb's were not a part of my life then! So, knowing your route, a very big RESPECT to you for that achievement!
Sidenote...whenever I've walked Snowdon and got to the summit, it's always peeved me when the train arrives, the people get off, then toil the last 100m to the top! Probably, when they get home, boasted that they've been to the top of Snowdon!

Woodsy

Jun 26, 2016
walsall
Woodsy, I've always thought I'd follow the train tracks up if I was going to do Snowdon? I've walked all the tracks up and never considered them suitable for a bike, although emtb's were not a part of my life then! So, knowing your route, a very big RESPECT to you for that achievement!
Sidenote...whenever I've walked Snowdon and got to the summit, it's always peeved me when the train arrives, the people get off, then toil the last 100m to the top! Probably, when they get home, boasted that they've been to the top of Snowdon!
I did consider using the train track but there are that many signs saying not to go on the tracks I thought I best not

• Informative

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I made a school boy error today, by leaving the van at work whilst riding home from work off road. It looks like I might well be getting wet and muddy tomorrow morning on the way back in again. :D
It was nice and chilled ride back though, and I spent a bit of time carrying yet more rocks to help form the hidden track that I am slowly building.

I must remember to pause Strava next time!

The bike is even still relatively clean for once. Even the tyres are still mud free.

This was after riding the same route, just a week or so ago.

Frustratingly I was also pulled off the bike when hidden wire became caught up in the rear wheel and suspension. Luckily other than the rear wheel magnet being knocked out of line, there was thankfully no damage.

Last edited:

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
Aa
View attachment 15434 View attachment 15435

Well today was my most ambitious ride to date on the Cube.......a ride up to the summit of Mount Snowdon.
I set off from home at 3.30am from the West Mids and surprisingly didn't see many cars on the road all the way to Llanberis......very spooky when you hit some of the mountain roads in the pitch black !!
Once there I had to hang around for a bit for daylight to break before I could start the big climb up the Llanberis path and was very mindful that MTB's have to be off the mountain by 10am.
Straight away I came across 1/2 dozen guys on MTB's pushing them up the mountain.....got the usual comments of "cheat" as I motored past them...lol.
Even at 6.30am there was already walkers coming back down the path....all very friendly and they all thought I had a screw loose for taking a bike up the mountain.
The weather stayed great till I hit about half way....then the mist came thick and fast along with a howling wind and freezing temperatures.
I wasn't going to give up though....I was on a mission.It surprised me just how severe the rock steps and climb was and found I had to push or carry the bike a far bit,which as we all know they aren't the lightest of bikes!!
After what seemed an eternity(but was only 1hr 20mins) I reached the summit,but couldn't see any of the stunning views thanks to the mist.So much for the weather forecast that I had seen of clear skys.
Quick few photos then time for the descent.I managed to take a wrong turn with the poor visibility and ended up taking the Pyg and Miners track.This track was never built with an MTB in mind.I literally had to scramble down it as there was no way you could ride a bike down it.A combination of the weather and how severe this path was had me a tad scared.
Finally the path levelled out and became rideable again....phew.Luckily I came across a sign post to get my back to Llanberis as on my current path I was going away from the town,this did however mean climbing up and over yet another steep hill which was just grass and no track to follow so again it couldn't be ridden as I just couldn't get any traction.
I've never been so glad to see my van when I did get back to the car park.At least I can tick this ride off my bucket list now !!!

Aarrgh....you beat me to it!!!

I arrived in the area on Monday as have another week off work, so packed the toys in and on the car and decided to get some miles in.

Not many photos (only took some today) - to be honest, I'm too busy enjoying the downhill bit to stop and take photos, and fire roads all look the same on the uphill sections, but I did the Marin trail on Monday night - 1 hour 30 dead. First time ever doing it and it was pitch black. Also it was the first time I've put lights on the bike (and probably my fifth ever night ride, it's not something that I usually do) and the light kept spinning round on the bumps, great for checking the tree tops but no so great for seeing what obstacle was coming next...so it was a steady ride all the same.

Returned back on Tuesday night after duct tape and cable ties made a more secure fitting, this time I turned the power off for some of the fire road climbs as wanted to give myself a bit of a workout.

Wednesday had to nip over to derby for something so didn't get a chance to ride the bike.

today, woke up and the lake was like a milk pond again, so no windsurfing again. This time I did both loops of Penmachno (spelling) trail - it was OK but not my cup of tea, more natural stuff and I lost track of the amount of times I got thorns and brambles inbetween my fingers - lots of singletrack which was overgrown. Plus it was also very wet on the ground - lots of puddles so feet soaked by the end. (photos of the trail where bike is parked on bridge and looking out over the mountains)

Was going to do the Marin trail again tonight, but on the way I thought I'd divert to Snowdon. I have tried this 3 times before on my Lapierre, both times I've had to turn back due to inclement weather (wind the first time - got to the 2nd tunnel and the bike was whipped out of my hands as I went through. Stopped a few hundred yards further up for a cup of tea as it was also cold, took gloves off and hands went cold very quickly so thought it time to leave and return downhill - didn't want to be blown off the ridge and bottled it as no-one else was up there, all walkers had turned back at the tunnel, the second time it was too snowy underfoot to get to the top, bike sliding all over the place, the third time the rain was too much, that time also tried the Rangers path instead of the Llanberris path the previous two times).

So, parked in Llanberris, set off and in 58 minutes arrived at the top. Legs were still tired from not using much assist yesterday and riding Penmachno earlier, so turbo mode used for virtually the whole of it - it is addictive and a bit like nitrous on motorcycles, you get used to it and the bike feels lame when you knock the power off...

Managed to ride most of it, struggled on the more gnarly sections, and walk mode is crap on my bike so arms also had a workout carrying the bike...the ride down was worth it, not many walkers (none going up, I met about 20 in total all going down when I was going up), and all were gracious to let me pass on both passes. 16 minutes to come down, and recorded a top speed of 41.2mph on the tarmac section at the bottom.

Marin trail again tomorrow, looking at doing it twice, the first time by switching off again for a workout (for some of it anyway), the second time with assist as some of the downhill sections are very good - currently now my favourite trail in this country and wish I had done it earlier on the Lapierre.

Attachments

Related Articles

Advertisers