eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Our ride today took us only 23.5 miles but it was a great ride bit off-road, bit on can only do what you can at the moment....
IMG_20200514_111331.jpgIMG_20200514_111324.jpgIMG_20200514_111337.jpgIMG_20200514_111349.jpgIMG_20200514_101406.jpg

Reactions: Simonwwfc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Lucky to live in shropshire during lock down. MTB trails are starting to open as well so things should get there. Will be most disappointed if we get that second spike. As nurses both of us feel this could happen in about 2-4 weeks!!!

• Agree
Reactions: Simonwwfc and sjpt

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
We looked at buying in ironbridge and possibly still will or very close around the area our friends live in presse Whitchurch

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Nice ride again Dom T. Shropshire is very nice. I have usually been passing through it on a motorcycle but did stay with a mate in Ludlow overnight twice, once while travelling to Anglesea on old motorbikes, and once when we met another mate the next day just outside the town and rode the byways and rights of ways on off road motorbikes getting right into the heart of the countryside.

I sadly think you are probably right about a second spike in 2-4 weeks.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I just hope they don't totally lockdown with no exercise.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Yesterday, bit of a road ride and some off road. Sometimes you just need some distance.
He needed a sit down, so I took the opportunity
IMG_20200526_093519.jpgIMG_20200526_093509.jpg

Reactions: Nev and georgehenry

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Very Nice, I have just worked four days, one sat at home on stand by and the other three riding in, however, after riding in cross country on Tuesday I could tell all was not well and the chain uncharacteristically came of the front narrow wde chain ring a couple of times and then came off again as I was trying to start riding home. I knew my narrow wide chain ring was reaching the end of its life but it suddenly had reached the absolutely knackered point. It got me home, but I will need to change the the whole transmission, chain ring, rear cassette and chain. So for the next two days I used my fabulous £100 second hand rear hub bike, riding on the road there and back. I will now get time to sort out the Haibike. The chain ring had managed 3,600 miles. The rear cassette and chain were up to 1580 miles and still working well but I think it best to change them all at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Probably for the best indeed, certainly what I would do.
Been out on the bike most of the week, but at work this weekend and this time I'm taking my car, seems like ages since I drove it.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I agree, best now to fit a new chain ring, rear cassette and chain. Being a nine speed, my bike does not use the most expensive components.

I know what you mean about the car. Mine has had virtually no use at all. We drive to get a big infrequent shop, and to get to the start point of some of our walks, but that is about it at the moment.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Decided it's time I got eaten by midges and stung all the bottom half of my legs with nettles so got he emtb out and managed both. Had lot's of fun but have decide it's too big for me so am going to have to sell and build a smaller frame one. Anyone intersted PM me but will mention it in my original build thread too.
IMAG1030.jpg

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Will you go for a rear hub or mid drive this time ?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Will you go for a rear hub or mid drive this time ?
For offroad it has to be mid drive for the gearing. I might end up reusing the kit on this bike yet, on a smaller bike.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Out on the road bike yeterday I found a bridleway signposted so came back today on the emtb and had a great couple of hours. Will be going back.

This is steeper and rockier than it looks and beyond my zero offroad skillset.

Reactions: georgehenry

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
This small tragedy happened on my last off road ride to work of what should have been three consecutive rides to work on Thursday the 11th of June.

Well this was supposed to be the triumphant return of my hard tail Haibike Yamaha, all spruced up with a new transmission, chain ring, cassette and chain, and gear cable as well as new brake pads. Three return trips to work, with my fabulous 12 mile off road ride to work and a 10 mile road ride home.

All was indeed splendid for 10 miles of my off road ride in yesterday, indexed to perfection and changing gear with the lightest of touches, I was having great fun on great tracks in fabulous countryside.

Now one half mile section of my off road route towards the end is part of the long distance North Downs Way, and this section is a footpath, so not strictly for bikes, though many bikes use this bit as it avoids a dangerous windy bit of B road. I have used it for many years and walkers and cyclist all seem to get along very well.

Now at one end of this section used to be a ruined quite pretty Victorian Building that about three years ago was developed into very expensive retirement dwellings complete with electric gates etc. Now the residents hate everyone who uses the right of way, walkers and cyclists alike, but they really hate the cyclist.

Anyway they have tried a few times to make cycling harder with locked gates, etc, but nothing too difficult to overcome, they cannot completely block it, it is an important right of way. But recently they have added a wooden sort of kissing gate affair which would be impossible for a wheel chair, but can be got through with a bike, just, by upending it and walking it into the enclosure part, pushing the gate across behind you and then reversing out and cycling away.

I have done it a few times with no issues though it is a tight squeeze, however on this day after reversing out and attempting to cycle away I had managed to bend my rear mech hanger and had the chain off the bottom largest cog to rest between that and the spokes. Once I had worked out what had happened and got the chain back on I had to avoid bottom gear, all the others indexed ok, but the change from 8 into top gear 9 was a bit rough. And it had all been going so well! It got me home but I will leave mending it until I am off on Sunday.

Ride to work Beech avenue 8 6 18 004.JPG
This is part of the section, much nicer than the road alternative.

I actually sorted out the rear mech hanger today, getting it carefully bent back where it should be. Of course now it has been bent and bent back it has been weakened and might fail again, and these rear mech hanger things are designed to be sacrificial to save the rear mech and generally very specific to your bike, so if they go, without a spar you are stranded.

So I thought it best to get a replacement and will have to decide when it arrives whether to put the new one on and leave the mended one as spar or vice versa.,

Not without some difficulty I managed to order one today.

I test road the bike after realigning the rear mech hanger and all was well and I plan to ride to work tomorrow cross country and will have to take a chance on my mended hanger as it will be a few days before I get a replacement one.

Fingers crossed.

Related Articles

Advertisers