eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
School Boy Error

I managed to forget to take my charger to work the day before yesterday.

It made the 24 mile round trip with 37% of the battery still remaining, with no discernible loss of urge up the last steep hill.

If my mathematics is right that would leave me another potential 14 miles in the tank so to speak.

Commuting to work and charging at work means I rarely venture into the lower reaches of my batteries capacity.

On the very few occasions I have ventured into the bottom of my batteries capacity I have found that support suddenly drops sharply away at about 10% remaining on this Yamaha system.

On my 12 mile ride to work cross country I only use eco and actually no assist for some sections where the gradient allows, so that part of my journey uses 25% of my batteries capacity.

When I finish work I ride home on the road and want to get home as quickly as I can and use higher levels of assist to complete the 10 mile journey in 30 minutes give or take a minute or two and use 35% of my batteries capacity.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Depends how % remaining is measured. If it uses a current meter and integrates then it should be quite accurate. If it uses battery voltage and assumes a linear dropoff it will be overestimating; with overestimation getting worse below 30% and almost useless by 15%.

You can see lots of battery voltage falloff curves at
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung ICR18650-26H 2600mAh (Pink) UK.html
(that specific link is for the cells we got with our Woosh battery, they all follow similar pattern and there are lots more at that site)

Reactions: georgehenry

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Summertime....and the cycling is easy
Ride to work no cycling sighns 23 06 20 001.JPG

Very nice ride to work setting off at about 8:00 on a beautiful Summers day.
Then another very nice road ride home, before jumping in my intex pool that I dragged out of my shed and filled with water yesterday for a relaxing cool down after seeing the prediction of a mini heat wave .

I know tomorrow never comes, but if it does, and I ride to work, my warranty replacement second motor will have completed just over 6000 miles and the bike close to 12,200. The last motor developed play in the bearing at just over 6000 miles and was replaced free of charge by the dealer right on the two year warranty.

There is no sign of play in this second motor, but my dealer now offers a same day bearing replacement service.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
My ride today was early to avoid the heat, but still darned hot. Finally finished blinging up the Voodoo Bizango E, decals were the final thing to put on.
Seems that lockdown is easing and MTB trails to be opened, can't wait to get out on the Canyon's, but they will be serviced next week in prep for some messing about.
Do excuse the rear mud guard but it's a must for the commute to work.
IMG_20190205_112022 - Edited.jpgting.
IMG_20200624_100507.jpgIMG_20200624_100448.jpgIMG_20200624_100444.jpgIMG_20200624_170130.jpgIMG_20200624_170447.jpg

Reactions: Nev and georgehenry

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Been out on the Spectral-On's today, finally managed to get to Llandegla, totally soaked, but totally stoked.... :) Bit of fire road to the fun
IMG_20200707_101327.jpg

Reactions: georgehenry and Nev

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Yesterday was hightailing it all the way home 15 miles into a ride to go collect hubby following a mechanical....
Thank the lord he stripped my old haibike as there's spares for him to use.
One kn@kered front chain ring
IMG_20200711_101840.jpg

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Just bikes age. His haibike is 4 years old, one of them things, wear and tear, nust have been faulty for a bit.
No other damage caused, just put on a new chain as rear cassette is fine.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
wrong gear and to much power seen it a few times now lol

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Fern Time
Lovely 12 mile ride to work yesterday. The ferns on one of the tracks I use have almost taken over!
Ride to work Ferns 22 07 20 002.JPG

Slight annoyance on my 10 mile road ride home as I could not select gear 9. Meant I was spinning my old legs faster than I prefer in gear 8. However I could still hold over 20mph on the flat, just with whirring leg action.

Another bigger annoyance I came across on my off road ride to work was a council road closed sign at the start of one of my favorite sections of single track bridal path in the relative middle of nowhere in Surrey terms.

Anyway it is a bridal path that cannot be missed out that easily so down it I went, to find a council road roller and mini digger creating what can only be described as a single track road.

All my lovely weathered sand stone steps, gone and replaced by ugly car width rolled down hardcore.

I spoke to the man in the digger saying I preferred it as is was. He said they were mainly doing it for horse riders so they could canter! I then came across two lady horse riders and we chatted about the lovely bridal path track being turned into a road. They said "We used to enjoy cantering up there"!!!. "You don't think they are going to turn it into a BOAT, byway open to all traffic, ie Motorbikes and 4 wheel drives. I said I did not think so.

We both agreed that our lovely bridal path was being ruined. Now where I live in Surrey the roads have more pot holes than nearly anywhere else in the country, but they have money to turn a long beautiful bridal path in the relative middle of nowhere into an ugly single track road. WHY!!!!

Last edited:
  • Informative

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Postscript.

I was so annoyed about the vandalism to my bridal path that I made an online complaint to the council. I included information of the OS map I used and 6 figure map reference, together with the name of the road the the bridal path led onto and the names of the parcels of woodland abutting.

I got a fast reply saying they could not find the bridal path based on the information I had given!!!

• :D

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
That's like the water board my end Severn Trent couldn't even find their own water pipes for 5 years !!!
GH, that's such a shame, it's like up the Peak District, big slabs of pathway. I know they need to maintain and save, but sometimes things just need to be left alone.
My day today was short but sweet. I have Bipolar and sometimes things get hard, however getting out for a very small ride has huge benefits
IMG_20200722_184724.jpgIMG_20200722_183857.jpgIMG_20200722_183834.jpgIMG_20200722_182908.jpg

Reactions: georgehenry

Related Articles

Advertisers