eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Popped to Whinlatter and then Ae forest on Monday/Tuesday, didn't take the Voodoo, took the Canyon. Each time we've been we've never been able to do Omega man at Ae as it's always been closed. Finally been able to do it :) , there were other parts closed though. No pics of Whinlatter North and South as it was raining but here's Ae....(wind farm much bigger now)IMG_20200908_104621.jpg
IMG_20200908_103132.jpgIMG_20200908_103138.jpgIMG_20200908_103755.jpg

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Fabulous cross country ride to work yesterday in the one day September heat wave.
Ride to work September heat 15 09 20 001.JPG

I saw a peak of 32 degrees on my display.

Ride to work September heat 15 09 20 003.JPG

The road ride home at around quarter to one was still shorts and T shirt temperature although I wore a thin long sleeved high viz jacket and shorts rather than a T shirt.

At home I realized that my mileage has crept over 12,500, now standing at 12,520.

With luck the good weather will stay so I can enjoy another three cross country rides to work before five days off that start on Friday.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Got out for a wee ride today as currently in the process of building the foundations for a bigger bike shed...how to enjoy your second week off !!! ;)
Tomorrow is off to Llandegla for a play about.
GH,
Beautiful weather indeed so making the most of it.
Then it's all down hill from the 22nd as back to work.
Looks like you had a nice ride though.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
A bigger bike shed sounds like a good idea. You are getting some very nice weather while you are away from work.

I might have to revise my statement about a one day September heat wave as it has been just as hot today, I saw 31 degrees on my display, and so warm for my late ride home that I really did wear shorts and a T shirt.

Hopefully the same again tomorrow.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Had a lovely time at Llandegla today moody weather and not as warm as where you are GH...
Followed by a lovely bacon butty and latte.
Came home and detail cleaned the bikes, bolt check, chains and wheels off all clean ans sparkly as the canyons wont get out for a couple of weeks. The voodoo however will be getting a run out over the weekend and then work too.
Here's today, red route only but totally enjoyed.
IMG_20200916_091203.jpgIMG_20200916_091212.jpgIMG_20200916_093821.jpgIMG_20200916_095857.jpgIMG_20200916_095903.jpgIMG_20200916_095906.jpgIMG_20200916_100614.jpg

Philip Copley

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2018
I concocted a ride around the Peak District that meets 7 reservoirs on the route, just under 40 miles, with around 4000ft of climb it took me around 4 hours on my Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro. I start off on the A57 which is the main road from Sheffield to Manchester and pass Rivelin Reservoir, continue on to Ladybower reservoir which looked at a low level. I passed around the back of Win Hill to link to Lockerbrook Farm and dropped down to Derwent and Howden reservoirs. As I left the Ladybower Reservoir behind, after a cheeky 99 ice cream, I took the exit next to the Yorkshire Bridge Inn and climbed up towards Stannage Pole and then dropped down the hill to be able to see the Redmires reservoirs, The upper, middle and lower Redmires reservoirs and then back home. I tried filming it on my GoPro but forgot to empty the memory card from the last ride :( So you can see half of the ride here on youtube if you wish. Half of a magnificent 7 ride :)

Last edited:

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Got out for a wee ride today as currently in the process of building the foundations for a bigger bike shed...how to enjoy your second week off !!! ;)
Tomorrow is off to Llandegla for a play about.
GH,
Beautiful weather indeed so making the most of it.
Then it's all down hill from the 22nd as back to work.
Looks like you had a nice ride though.
Building bike sheds is almost as much fun as riding the bikes that will fit inside them!

Attachments

Reactions: georgehenry

Philip Copley

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2018
I managed to get out yesterday afternoon for a tour de Peak District, Sheffield - Ladybower - Thornhill - Edale - Up Mam Tor - Sparrowpit - Peak Forest - Foolow - Eyam - Grindleford - Ringinglow Roundhouse - Home. 50 miles and just under 5000ft of climb. phew!!!

Reactions: Dom T

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I concocted a ride around the Peak District that meets 7 reservoirs on the route, just under 40 miles, with around 4000ft of climb it took me around 4 hours on my Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro. I start off on the A57 which is the main road from Sheffield to Manchester and pass Rivelin Reservoir, continue on to Ladybower reservoir which looked at a low level. I passed around the back of Win Hill to link to Lockerbrook Farm and dropped down to Derwent and Howden reservoirs. As I left the Ladybower Reservoir behind, after a cheeky 99 ice cream, I took the exit next to the Yorkshire Bridge Inn and climbed up towards Stannage Pole and then dropped down the hill to be able to see the Redmires reservoirs, The upper, middle and lower Redmires reservoirs and then back home. I tried filming it on my GoPro but forgot to empty the memory card from the last ride :( So you can see half of the ride here on youtube if you wish. Half of a magnificent 7 ride :)
View attachment 38435
View attachment 38436
View attachment 38437
All on one battery?

Philip Copley

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2018
I managed to get out yesterday afternoon for a tour de Peak District, Sheffield - Ladybower - Thornhill - Edale - Up Mam Tor - Sparrowpit - Peak Forest - Foolow - Eyam - Grindleford - Ringinglow Roundhouse - Home. 50 miles and just under 5000ft of climb. phew!!!

View attachment 38753View attachment 38754View attachment 38755View attachment 38756
Video of ride, finally finished uploading, be warned, quite raw, long vid, time stamped now to make navigation easier - Tour de Peak District

Reactions: georgehenry

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Leisure Ride exploring Puttenham Common and traversing the Hog's Back, returning to Godalming along the River Wey
Puttenham and the Hogs 19 10 20 003.JPG
View from North Downs Path at Puttenham common towards The Hog's Back

Puttenham and the Hogs 19 10 20 004.JPG
Load of Old Bull from across The River Wey
Puttenham and the Hogs 19 10 20 005.JPG
View up the River
Puttenham and the Hogs 19 10 20 007.JPG
Keeping an eye on the ladies

The Hog's Back is not something you want to be crossing on a bike or on foot as it is a two way dual carriageway, so I probably will not be repeating this ride. The countryside on either side was stunning. Parts of the climb up The Hog's back were only just possible with my slightly higher than ideal gearing though we made it without stopping in my bottom 36 t, 42 Chain ring, that would have been better with at least 4 less teeth, high assist and plenty of effort on my part.

Another anomaly was the route I took was a bridle path up and then a connecting opposite side of the road footpath down with stile to get over. The other route I did not take was a footpath up and an opposite connecting Bridle path down. In theory you could ride probably only a hundred yards or so along the Hog's back to go from the climbing Bridle Path to the descending Bridle path but not on a 60mph dual carriage way.

Another point of concern was a sound like a ratchet being turned and it seemed to be coming from the motor or newly fitted rear wheel.

When I got home I put a different rear wheel in and the noise was still apparent. Fortunately when swapping the back wheels back again and then spinning the wheel with the bike inverted I found a plastic mud guard fowling the tyre and after a bit of adjustment all was quiet again.

It really sounded like the motor. It was a relief to find a much cheaper culprit for the noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip Copley

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
A more normal Autumnal cross country ride to work and road ride home but with a sting in the tail.
Ride to work glasses 20 10 20 001.JPG
The lovely lake I skirt around.
Ride to work glasses 20 10 20 002.JPG
Autumnal colours
Ride to work glasses 20 10 20 004.JPG
Avenue of trees
Ride to work glasses 20 10 20 005.JPG
Crooksbury

I managed to throw out my gear indexing getting something caught in the rear mech. This was my first ride on my Winter route and a piece of woodland that I did not know was private has been completely blocked off. It is a shame as it included some of the best single track sections. I found a way round but it is not as thrilling as the original route. I spoke to some lady dog walkers and apparently it was bulldozed and blocked off after lock down. It belongs to a large house you cannot see from the common or tracks but the house changed hands and the new owner decided he wanted to stop access. I think the tracks across it have been used for many tens of years and the lady dog walkers told me that there was some sort of legal action to protest taking place, but it looked like the lovely track I used had been completely destroyed. "Get off my land". So I did a few miles more than usual getting around the obstacle completing 16 off road miles getting to work.

I had set off with only 90% charge to my battery as usually when I get to work I have a shift of work to do and plenty of time for my battery to charge, however today was a meeting with a manager that happened as soon as I arrived and I was told afterwards I could go home.

So I set off for my 10 mile road ride home with 53% of battery left. I was also restricted by my indexing playing up. Interestingly I made pretty good time and had about 27% left for a steep but short climb very close to home. As I was so close to home I used middle assist and saw my battery percentage fall quicker than I have ever seen before under load going from 27% to 11% in less than quarter of a mile. As the slope reduced near the top I went back to eco at 11% remaining and the display stayed at this level until I got home.

My battery is 5 and a half years old now and this was the first time I had seen it appear to collapse under heavy load. Usually I would have set of on my journey home with a full battery and been none the wiser.

So the battery seems to work very well still down to about 30% remaining and then the performance can collapse if put under heavy load.

I had done 26 miles in total.

Last edited:
  • Useful

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Rear Hanger

When checked at home after my indexing went out on my ride to work described above I had bent the rear hanger again! Fortunately it could be carefully bent back to get everything properly aligned again, so a pretty easy fix. I have been told that some rear hangers have a bit of pliability and can be bent back and some just break. Luckily mine can be bent. I do now carry a spar, though I would really not want to be changing on the trail.

Reactions: Dom T

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Godalming to The Devils Punchbowl and back via Thursley Common
Thursley Common and The Punchbowl 23 10 2020 001.JPG
Bent tree adjacent to forked pond
Thursley Common and The Punchbowl 23 10 2020 003.JPG
View over The Devils Punchbowl
Thursley Common and The Punchbowl 23 10 2020 005.JPG
Single track traverse with view

A quick 18 mile ride, setting off from my house in Godalming at just after 2:30pm, getting to The Punchbowl at 3:00pm with approximately 771 ft of climbing, and then a quick downhill return to be back home at 4:30PM.

I used 44% of my 400Wh battery, eco and off all the way with the exception of the steep hill at the end to get me home where I treated myself to standard.

With my battery now 5 and a half years old and 400Wh and not having ridden cross country to the punch bowl before I kept a careful eye on my battery level as it is pretty much climbing all the way there.

When I got home and had 56% of my battery left I could probably have ridden a bit more in the punch bowl and still got home with no problems. Still there is always next time.

I am on my 4th rear wheel, having had a bit of a disaster with the last one, and have taken a leaf out of soundwaves book and with my new rear wheel have gone tubeless with a 2.35 (the largest that would still give mud clearance) larger volume heavy duty gravity mud tyre that I can run at lower pressures and provide some give for my new wheel and my back. Although I worried about rolling resistance it is not as bad as I thought it would be, and after all I do have a motor!

Last edited:

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Rain, hail, wind autumn is here....on the voodoo with new wheels and tyres, plus gubbins so no need for a backpack
IMG_20201028_115629.jpgIMG_20201028_120103.jpgIMG_20201028_120112.jpgIMG_20201028_120755.jpgIMG_20201028_122817.jpgIMG_20201028_123218.jpgIMG_20201028_123414.jpgIMG_20201028_112307.jpg

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Very Autumnal / Wet Dom T.

I have not been commuting for 4 weeks and start again on Friday with a potential 6, 12 mile cross country to work rides and 10 mile road rides home. I think if I do them all it will be quite a wet and muddy 6 days and I will be bushed at the end of it.

I will be using my more sandy slightly more hilly winter route to work although there is still some muddy bits. Then 10 miles home on the road. It will be interesting to see how my new 2.35 rear mud tyre copes with the road work I do.

My son and I did an epic mostly off road route to Gibbet Hill at the top of The Devils Punch bowl on Monday with 771 ft of climbing. My son road my old rear hub bike and we took a spar battery for it as both batteries are well past their best. In fairness to the Oxygen rear hub bike it made it, with the odd get off and walk beside it moment. We changed the batteries over at Gibbet Hill. This was far from the normal riding on the road it normally does, 26 miles in total.

Great fun and an amazing view from Gibbet Hill. My son had taken his 10x50 binoculars and a tripod that we use to look at Jupiter and her moons amongst other things and using the tripod we had a great view of London with The Shard and Walkie Talkie building visible as well as the dome of St Pauls approaching 50 miles away.

I have to say it is much easier to conserve battery on The Haibike than the old rear hub bike.

Related Articles

Advertisers