Encouraging cycling!

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Things have got tougher for cyclists on Tyneside recently.

The Pedestrian/cycle tunnels which go under the River Tyne and are part of the C2C Route have up and down escalators at each end as well as a small lift.

There is now only one escalator working. The escalators are 60 years old and the treads are made of wood! They are Grade 2 listed so nothing can be done to modernise them yet pedestrians and cyclists were having to use them every day. The bearings have collapsed on two of them and the handrail needs replacing on another but they have been unable to source a supplier. Or more likely they won't pay out any money for something that is free and doesn't bring in any revenue.

They are now relining the lift shafts and will fit new lifts all to be completed by Xmas - 5 months to fit two small lifts!

In the meantime we must walk down the 150 steps of the escalator and up 150 at the other end.

The alternative is you have to wait for a 'courtesy' 7 seater car towing a trailer for bikes. This then joins the queue of traffic at the vehicle tunnel totally defeating the point of cycling to work to avoid traffic jams.

I tackled the stairs today and managed it - 63 years of age and carrying a 23 kg bike, but it is hard work.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
I assume you are not allowed in the vehicle tunnel, and that there are no bridges within a couple of miles. I wouldn't know because I believe Tyneside is beyond Watford, and even Luton.

I had to take my old Powabyke Commuter with SLA batteries up a flight of stairs at a station and I just switched on, applied a touch of throttle and walked up the stairs next to it - I don't know if it would be possible for you to do likewise. Of course, I am talking about 30 steps which weren't steep - not 150 of unknown steepness.

Another solution would be to attach floats to the bike and ride across the river.

Colin

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I assume you are not allowed in the vehicle tunnel, and that there are no bridges within a couple of miles. I wouldn't know because I believe Tyneside is beyond Watford, and even Luton.

I had to take my old Powabyke Commuter with SLA batteries up a flight of stairs at a station and I just switched on, applied a touch of throttle and walked up the stairs next to it - I don't know if it would be possible for you to do likewise. Of course, I am talking about 30 steps which weren't steep - not 150 of unknown steepness.

Another solution would be to attach floats to the bike and ride across the river.

Colin
An amphibious bike. I wonder if anyone has tried it?

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
must be money (or lack of it/arguments over who is responsible)?

Although UK manufacturing has declined we are still fairly good at metal bashing and carpentry and there are surely loads of companies capable of making the bits for the escalator?

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
must be money (or lack of it/arguments over who is responsible)?

Although UK manufacturing has declined we are still fairly good at metal bashing and carpentry and there are surely loads of companies capable of making the bits for the escalator?
A few years ago the big cogs on the end failed. There were no original plans so the new parts had to be reverse-engineered. I think the cost was close to £200,000
They could have, and should have replaced them with modern escalators but the Grade 2 listing prevented it. I'm all for protecting attractive, historically important buildings but this situation is ridiculous.